• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best team since Waugh/ Ponting’s Australia?

Best team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Man. WTF happened again? Australia are back on top of the test rankings. NZ and India both **** the bed when it mattered.
And given that Australia won't play India this year, this might continue for a while.

To be fair they absolutely beat up on a **** England side at home - that we let England take a test in India is shameful.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Context matters. India ****ed those two games up, especially the second one.
See, I dont agree at all. I think India threw away favorable positions with bad batting in both tests' 3rd innings, but RSA played brilliantly to win, which is also allowed to happen. And FTR, RSA were also missing Ngidi who was as key as Peterson in them beating India AFAIC.

subshakerz

International Coach
See, I dont agree at all. I think India threw away favorable positions with bad batting in both tests' 3rd innings, but RSA played brilliantly to win, which is also allowed to happen. And FTR, RSA were also missing Ngidi who was as key as Peterson in them beating India AFAIC.
SA were brilliant in both chases but effectively all India needed was a score over 300 once in the last two tests to shut SA out.

Victor Ian

International Coach
And given that Australia won't play India this year, this might continue for a while.

To be fair they absolutely beat up on a **** England side at home - that we let England take a test in India is shameful.
That India loss to England maybe made Australia's wins worth a smidgen more. Anyway, unless Australia beat Pakistan they go back to third after that series.

subshakerz

International Coach
India were favourites but his point is maybe they shouldn't have been as heavy favourites as people made out. It's a fair point considering how well they've done on a tough away tour here against a good side. I was skepitcal they'd continue to do well but so far they have, and they didnt even have Petersen. Not sure how you can get away with on the one hand saying the below:
If that is the point, then I agree and even after the series said that this SA side were better than they seemed. Especially the bowling.

but then also say India should've won in SA which they've never in their history done. Pick one tbh. Blatantly biased posting exposed by deathscar tbh. Good stuff.
But I am saying two different points. I brought up SA's history in NZ to suggest that the result wasn't something amazing by SA standards which goes back to the point I have been making for a long time, that this was the weakest SA side since readmission. Plus I don't consider the result, drawing in NZ, that impressive even for this young team. Even before the India series, I thought SA were capable of winning a test in NZ.

I don't see how that contradicts saying that India were favorites in SA and were expected to win, regardless of the fact they hadnt won in SA before. They were expected to do well in 2018 against Australia without Smith and Warner and ended up doing so, despite never winning in Aus before.

I frankly will pick one and say India not winning in SA is still a big failure not just because of how inexperienced the team was but also because they were in winning positions defending good 4th innings targets in both games. Context matters. India ****ed those two games up, especially the second one.
Yes, I agree with you, but there is a trend on this thread from certain posters to basically treat this SA loss as something that is irrelevant to assessing where Kohli's team stands.

Last edited:

Xix2565

International Debutant
But I am saying two different points. I brought up SA's history in NZ to suggest that the result wasn't something amazing by SA standards which goes back to the point I have been making for a long time, that this was the weakest SA side since readmission. Plus I don't consider the result, drawing in NZ, that impressive even for this young team.

I don't see how that contradicts saying that India were favorites in SA and were expected to win, regardless of the fact they hadnt won in SA before. They were expected to do well in 2018 against Australia without Smith and Warner and ended up doing so, despite never winning in Aus before.
Does this not apply even more to a SA side with better bowling in home comforts against India? This kind of bias is what's being called out considering you've refused to give the slightest bit of credit at all to Kohli's side while applying different standards for other teams.

subshakerz

International Coach
Does this not apply even more to a SA side with better bowling in home comforts against India? This kind of bias is what's being called out considering you've refused to give the slightest bit of credit at all to Kohli's side while applying different standards for other teams.
Saying this is the weakest SA side since readmission doesn't mean that they are a poor team though, just not as strong as SA are normally expected to be.

I think amidst all your deflection, you basically agree with me that this was a disappointing loss for India in a series they were expected to win. That is all I am saying. Why can't you agree with that point?

srbhkshk

International Captain
But I am saying two different points. I brought up SA's history in NZ to suggest that the result wasn't something amazing by SA standards which goes back to the point I have been making for a long time, that this was the weakest SA side since readmission. Plus I don't consider the result, drawing in NZ, that impressive even for this young team. Even before the India series, I thought SA were capable of winning a test in NZ.

This is basically telling me that you think India is a far superior team to NZ even in swinging conditions which is just blatantly untrue.

subshakerz

International Coach
This is basically telling me that you think India is a far superior team to NZ even in swinging conditions which is just blatantly untrue.
Not sure how you get that.

India were favorites over SA after doing well in England, were they not?

And NZ just lost a test to Bangladesh at home and are without Williamson, so why wouldn't even this younger SA team also have a chance to win a test in NZ?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its funny how missing KW at home means you can lose to "the worst SA side since re-admission" but when you beat a NZ at home without Rohit and Jadeja, it is "expected".

FWIW, RSA were without their best bowler and best batsman from the previous series too, but why let facts get in the way of the usual biased BS?

subshakerz

International Coach
Its funny how missing KW at home means you can lose to "the worst SA side since re-admission" but when you beat a NZ at home without Rohit and Jadeja, it is "expected".

FWIW, RSA were without their best bowler and best batsman from the previous series too, but why let facts get in the way of the usual biased BS?
You don't think it's the worst SA side since readmission or do you? Be clear for once where you stand. Or as usual you just want to be contrarian because that's your axe to grind?

At least I state my points clearly enough and try to reach some sort of agreement, while all you do is try to reflexively rebut everything I say and get triggered on the most minor of disagreements.

Flem274*

123/5
It's definitely the worst SA side since readmission, albeit one with a world class attack that can ruin your day if the batting can put something together.

Mini-KP is a loss but he's also a 5 test veteran. SA's win was built on the opening pair being awesome, the middle order getting starts and the tail wagging. True team effort that.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes SA are won of those teams, regardless of the sport, you can never relax against. Even if they look weak on paper, they always fight and have a chance of winning.

Kind of like the opposite of England

Xix2565

International Debutant
Saying this is the weakest SA side since readmission doesn't mean that they are a poor team though, just not as strong as SA are normally expected to be.

I think amidst all your deflection, you basically agree with me that this was a disappointing loss for India in a series they were expected to win. That is all I am saying. Why can't you agree with that point?
You don't seem to think they are a good team though and completely ignore various circumstances involved to pretend to have a point. Also seems like you think teams being competitive is a sign of weakness worth marking down.

Also, nice deflection by trying to garner pity votes about the disappointing loss and acting like you've said nothing else in this conversation worth calling out. Am I supposed to be unable to read your past comments and history? Answer that first.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If that is the point, then I agree and even after the series said that this SA side were better than they seemed. Especially the bowling.

Yes, I agree with you, but there is a trend on this thread from certain posters to basically treat this SA loss as something that is irrelevant to assessing where Kohli's team stands.
While you did not vote for Kohli's team due to obvious reasons, your post implies the very high regard and expectations that you have for his team which is very nice to know.

Chrish

International Debutant
But I ain’t gonna lie. Recent loss hurt. This was our chance. We don’t know how long before we tour SA again and how much team will have changed by then.

And while we are on topic of comparing current teams, current NZ team is overrated. It’s arguably their best side ever but apart from wining games at home (which also has changed), and winning in England, they literally haven’t done anything else. Has dismal record in Australia and India. It’s a joke if people believe they have claim to be number 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.