• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

viriya

International Captain
It does amaze me that SA has 1 bad year where we played on some raging turners in India and struggled, and had a poor series against England. With a number of injured players, so subsequently we now can`t break into the top 5, so the only team SA are better than is WI?.... I do find that hard to understand. Not saying we are at the top....but.
tfw SL is not even remembered...

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^^^ Well summed up. What's important to me when talking about the 'now' is whether that includes the core group of players currently player. In the last 6 years, England produced two of the greatest away victories by any team - winning in Australia 2010 (funny how we forget that after the 0-5 drubbing) and winning in India 2012. But the core group of players that contributed to that namely Strauss, Trott, KP, Bell, Swann, Panesar, Tremlett, Bresnan are gone. So those wins will have less relevance when talking about the 'now'.

Pakistan have been untested anywhere else other than England in recent past but the core group of players - YK, Misbah, Shafiq, Azhar, Hafeez and to an extent Rahat remain the same. The bowling attack has changed drastically but I think it's fair to include the 2011 New Zealand series win and the 0-3 drubbing in South Africa 2012-13 because the team wasn't that different. Now yes the batsmen, mainly Shafiq and Azhar are better players than they were, but that's the test for them now..to demonstrate that.

This is also the reason why I rate South Africa..because their core group of players from the 2012-2014 highs remains the same. The sides that won in Australia, England, drew in India and UAE, won in Sri Lanka and New Zealand is not that different - Amla, AB, Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Faf. Yes they did lose two major stalwarts in Kallis and Smith and that obviously coincided with their 2015 decline but I can see this side picking themselves up. I feel that the problems with South Africa are less to do with cricket, and more to do with off field factors and if these players can put that behind them, and good cricketers have shown the ability to do that, they can become a top side again. Stephen Cook provides solidity at the top, Bavuma and De Kock are solid additions. Rabada and Steyn is a bowling attack as good as as any on paper.

I know bringing South Africa into the equation only complicates the scenario, but also makes it more fun :D

Last edited:

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Yeah, a side that is about to go 9-0 in Asia and hasn't won in England since 2001 (I mean even Sri Lanka and India have won series there in that time and those teams suck in England) and loses at home to South Africa really belongs in tier 1. Of course when you put an asterisk on all your losses, then your result start looking good.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
This is based on the 'now' as defined by Hendrix and Howe previously. I have excluded WI mostly, because they're terrible.

Dominate at home (in order): Australia, India, Pakistan, England

Away performances in order:

Pakistan is good in SL, India (assumed), better than the above two teams in England, and mostly untested everywhere else though they look like they can hold their own and not be terrible in SA and Aus.

England is all round decent in every country except Straya, beat SA in SA, probably the only team besides Pakistan that has a shot at beating India in India, and they didn't completely embarrass themselves in the UAE which is a plus. On the downside they do random **** like lose to the WI.

Australia is good in SA, NZ, get destroyed everywhere else that counts

India is good in SL, UAE (assumed) and can hold their own but probably not win in SA, NZ. Likely to get smashed in England and Australia

Basically you can make an argument for all of these teams to be #1, depending on your preference on home vs away performances.
I think a team is missing here.. Someone with better results away than any of those mentioned. Just a thought.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, a side that is about to go 9-0 in Asia and hasn't won in England since 2001 (I mean even Sri Lanka and India have won series there in that time and those teams suck in England) and loses at home to South Africa really belongs in tier 1. Of course when you put an asterisk on all your losses, then your result start looking good.
The Australian cricket fan circle on Cricket Chat will easily put PakPassion to shame.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think a team is missing here.. Someone with better results away than any of those mentioned. Just a thought.
Give it a few weeks. Let South Africa win against New Zealand and they will be part of the conversations again.

But then again..people will say 'minnow bashers at home'

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Australian cricket fan circle on Cricket Chat will easily put PakPassion to shame.
Honestly, you constantly complaining about some of the Australian posters has stunk up this place just as much as they have. Just give it bit of a rest please, and post normally which you clearly can do.

smash84

The Tiger King
haha, that is harsh. I mean we have the likes of T_C, Prince of England Wales and Scotland (ironically), and Vic_Orthodox from Australia on here who are some of the top posters going around

Daemon

I said they get destroyed everywhere else that counts. How is that putting an asterisk?

I'm not putting NZ or SA tier one because SA need a fit Steyn and Philander which we have not seen yet, and NZ needs Soult to get their **** together. Like I said, it's not all about past series performances, this is about the now.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I said they get destroyed everywhere else that counts. How is that putting an asterisk?

I'm not putting NZ or SA tier one because SA need a fit Steyn and Philander which we have not seen yet, and NZ needs Soult to get their **** together. Like I said, it's not all about past series performances, this is about the now.
To be fair our problem is not the bowling... having Steyn back can just paper over other cracks. But we still had Rabada, Abbott and Morkel which was not bad when we were losing.... the problem was the batting, which is still an uncertainty. But if Cook continues to perform and we can sort the middle order out, we will get back quickly.

morgieb

Assessing it from a results point of view and what I think each side can do:

Australia (along with India) is the hardest team to beat at home IMO, and indisputibly the best side in the Southern Hemisphere. In Asia however we've been awful, and we haven't won an away Ashes since 2001. As for their overall ability, our bowling is pretty damn strong at full fitness, but our batting has been exposed dramatically away from home. I think Shady Slim summed it up best when he say we're the best side in the world when given an inch, but when not we struggle (well using his analogy anyway).

England have risen in the last 12 months, having beaten South Africa away from home and didn't disgrace themselves in the UAE. Their home results also remain solid. Away from home I feel like they have the most going for them with South Africa declining, but they're not as dominant as Australia, India or Pakistan at home, and their side has a number of below-average Test cricketers (which is covered by the amount of players who have pretensions of being all-rounders, admittedly).

India are very tough to beat at home, and their away performances haven't been completely awful in recent times either - only in England were they disgraced and they still won a Test there. So they have a pretty good case at #1 That said, I think their balance will give them some issues against the stronger sides and I also question Kohli's approach somewhat.

Pakistan haven't played a lot away from the UAE recently, but you have to be optimistic about their chances given they just drew with England. And their UAE performances have been great. Add that there's few discernable weaknesses besides their opening pair (which may be getting close to being fixed), and you have a strong side, one good enough to be #1.

As for the others:

South Africa were first this time last year, but you have to wonder whether they're still that good after being embarrassed by India and losing to England at home. Their batting looks worrying sans Kallis and Smith, and their bowling looks weaker without Steyn. While him coming back will help, it's not a young side and you have to wonder whether political factors will hurt them long-term.

New Zealand looked good about 18 months ago, but since the England series I think they've gone backwards. They were beaten pretty badly by Australia and didn't completely dominate against Sri Lanka. Had some good performances in Asia (drawing with Pakistan and Sri Lanka), but I'm somewhat skeptical they'll win there now. Maybe they'll improve if/when Southee and Boult get back to their best, but will they?

Sri Lanka are still a pretty decent at home, but away from home they'll struggle against any of the Top 6. I think they'll fall to West Indies level when Herath retires, although if this series tells us anything he's still got some fight left.

West Indies and Bangladesh are just ****. Maybe the Banglas will improve at home with a proper chance though, it's been a while since they played Test cricket. Zimbabwe probably don't deserve Test status.

So if I had to pick a #1, would go with Pakistan for now, with South Africa as the elephant in the room for if/when Steyn gets an extended run with a fit body again.

morgieb

Duminy's alarming decline is the cause for all of RSA's batting woes AFAIC...
Was Duminy ever particularly good at Test cricket though?

No the cause AFAIC is the retirement of Kallis and Smith and them not finding strong replacements for them.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Duminys decline was not good, but Amla was the real issue.... All-round records . And with the loss of Smith at the top and Kallis, Amla averaging 23 really hammered us. He did not score a single hundred in 2015 but has already scored 2 in 2016, right after giving up captaincy.

Chrish

International Debutant
Reckon beating Australia in Australia is the biggest challenge for any team at the monent (even bigger than beating India/pak in their backyard)