• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best pace attack post WC2007

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly, and it's hardly like he went around the park in 2006, he just lacked penetration, and even that improved as the season went on - after quite a bit he was averaging 46, which came down to 33 by the end. And when his record for SA is good over both seasons, it tends to suggest that one bad half-season shouldn't be taken too seriously...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So what exactly has he done in the last couple of years to show that he's a top quality Test bowler then?

And if he's bowling so well, how come he's not been deemed good enough to be recalled?
Umm, because for that a place has to present itself, and with McGrath, Clark and Warne being fit throughout the previous season (2006\07) and Lee being undroppable at the start and getting good figures later on it was hardly likely.

If Lee's figures throughout The Ashes had been poor, it's not completely impossible that he'd have got the call.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly. The only part of Gillespie's last 18 months that's been poor is that first half of the season.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The mere fact that the overwhelming reaction to him even getting a contract was one of surprise is a far more telling thing IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That says nothing other than the fact that Australia were (stupidly, what with Gillespie being just 32) "looking to the future not the past".

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Of course it does - keep telling yourself that.

I'm more inclined to listen to those who are over there and know a bit more about what's going on though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So who's telling us that Tait and Johnson (and maybe Hilfenhaus) are superior bowlers, then?

Virtually no-one that I've read.

Most, rather, seem to be saying "picking Gillespie would be looking back not forward and would ideally be avoided".

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Akhtar/Asif/Gul/Sami

Lee/Tait/Clark/Watson

Ntini/Nel/Steyn/Pollock

Harmison/Flintoff/Hoggard/S Jones
First of all Simon Jones is not part of the England team as of now so I don't really see how you can bring him into the equation.

Flintoff, Hoggard and Harmison v Akhtar, Asif and Gul......I'd much rather take the Pakistani attack.
Flintoff is the only consistenly good bowler England have....Hoggard is a decent workhorse and Harmison is most of the time in la-la land.
If Simon Jones can return and hit the heights of RSA 2004 and Ashes 2005 again, England will prolly have the best atack but until then (if that ever happens again)...NO.

Xuhaib

International Coach
First of all Simon Jones is not part of the England team as of now so I don't really see how you can bring him into the equation.

Flintoff, Hoggard and Harmison v Akhtar, Asif and Gul......I'd much rather take the Pakistani attack.
Flintoff is the only consistenly good bowler England have....Hoggard is a decent workhorse and Harmison is most of the time in la-la land.
If Simon Jones can return and hit the heights of RSA 2004 and Ashes 2005 again, England will prolly have the best atack but until then (if that ever happens again)...NO.
If you are leaving Simon Jones out of the equation due to injuries then I guess you have to do the same to Akhtar.

Best pace attack that I have seen it has to be RSA attack against WI in 98 when Donald , Polly , Kallis (swinging at 140+) and Klusner were in full flow.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, that was after Klusener's day - his time was more the previous season (1997\98).

After his ankle injury in England in 1998 he was never quite the same bowler again.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
pakistans attack for sure
flat pitches or green pitches this can rival any countries pace attack

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Best pace attack post WC 2007?

1) Kumble/Powar/Bhajji/Chawla

2) Zaheer/Munaf/Sreesanth/Pathan

*day light*

Others...

:ph34r:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure if this thread is re. ODIs or tests, but here goes anyway.

ODIs: Australia. They will lose McGrath (and that is huge of course) but will have one or more of S Clark, Hilfenhaus or Johnson to come in. Look for Doug Bollinger as a smokey in ODIs here as well.

Tests: harder to tell, frankly.

Pakistan seem in a state of flux, not sure who will be bowling for them if Akthar doesn't aim up.

Likewise England because of injury/ lack of mints (that was for you Rich!! :) ). If they get Jones & Flintoff back they will be pretty potent, especially if someone takes Harmison to the continent and dunks his head in the water at Lourdes to solve that conundrum. Monty looks like he'll be a reall asset to them for many years as well.

SA's attack is still pretty good, but is there some younger quality in bowling coming through? Don't profess to follow their domestic stuff that closely so hard for me to say, but is there a ready-made replacement for an aging Pollock?

India's pace stocks don't look that great atm, though their spin ranks are still good.

Sri Lanka, with at least 2 more years of Murali, Vaas still solid and Malinga on the rise look pretty good for the medium term imo, although Chaminda is starting to get on a bit.

NZ rely so heavily on Bond - if he's not there, hard to see them bowling sides out twice on a consistent basis. Vettori is good, but I don't know if he will take enough wickets consistently to get them over the line.

I'm going to throw a wild card in here and I'll probably be laughed at, but I think WI have the potential to have a reasonable attack in coming years, if Taylor and Powell kick on. Having watched the 1st test this week, I know they didn't bowl well on day 1, but they'd had hardly any cricket, and Powell in particular was pretty unlucky and looked like he got a fair bit out of the conditions. Their 3rd seamer isn't as good as others, and they lack a spinner (Dave Mohammed aside) but it would be very good for cricket if those 2 young blokes really kicked on as a new ball force. It would at least give them a base with which to be more competitive.

Which leaves Australia - McGrath & Warne gone and they cannot be replaced. Clark will do a McGrath to some extent, Lee will be there (can be expensive), and then there's a choice of Tait (fast but erratic atm), Johnson (untried but offers left arm variety), Hilfenhaus (swings it around a bit) and Dizzy (tried and true, but maybe not what he was). I think they might run with Tait for the home Tests here, but would not be surprised if Hilfenhaus got a game at some point. As for spinners, McGill is obvious, but won't be around for too long, likewise Hogg. Which leaves Bailey, Cullen, Hauritz, White et al, who haven't really shown that they are up to it yet. Then again, neither did Warne before he was picked, and he went ok, didn't he.

In the medium term, I think SL will have a good attack, which has the arguably the best balance.
Pakistan and England next, injuries and unavailabilities aside, with Australia a bit of an unknown quantity, though potentially still very good.