• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI fielder in this list

Best ODI fielder

• Rhodes

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Ponting

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Symonds

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Devilliers

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Harris

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Any other ( please mention in the thread)

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Tough to choose between Ponting and Symonds. Ponting more versatile. Although not the best ever, but Viv Richards was the best fielder of his time and played a key role in in winning a WC final through it.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Yeah, Rhodes was revolutionary. Perhaps not as deadeye an aim as Ponting but every bit as intimidating a fielder as Donald was a bowler. No exaggeration either.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Ponting.

I'd stopped noticing ODIs by the time ABdV was (presumably?) strutting his stuff in the ring, so have no opinion of him.

So, Ponting out of the rest. Ahead of Rhodes on directhittedness. Don't really get the Symonds fielding hype, although I'd probably dismissed him in my mind early as another CH9 commentary Ian Harvey-like hot air fuss over nothing.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absence of TOTAB in this poll a travesty. Basically made the short mid wicket spot a thing in ODIs, had a great arm and awesome hands too.

But out of those in the poll I would say Ponting. Genius fielder anywhere.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
As well as having ATG batting and bowling lineups, it was nuts that Oz had Ponting, Symonds, Clarke, and Hussey in the circle. They must have saved so many runs, effected so many run outs, taken so many catches, and created so much pressure.
They were preceded by M Waugh and Bevan who were incredibly good (esp the former).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
this. Jonty is by far the best. He is an all-round fielder too and better than Ponting at every slot.
I think Ponting is better in close catching positions like slips or silly point but other than that, Rhodes was just a level above everyone at cover-point and midwicket and then among the joint best in the deep fielding in the slog overs.

His anticipation, speed across the turf, and diving technique makes him the best LO fielder ever, IMO.

If we are talking tests, where the catching positions mean so much more, then it is a different conversation.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think Ponting is better in close catching positions like slips or silly point but other than that, Rhodes was just a level above everyone at cover-point and midwicket and then among the joint best in the deep fielding in the slog overs.

His anticipation, speed across the turf, and diving technique makes him the best LO fielder ever, IMO.
I think Ponting may have also been more accurate when throwing at the stumps, with more direct hits than Rhodes. Then again, Rhodes' anticipation and speed may have meant that he didn't need to go for the direct hit quite so often and could afford to take the slower option of throwing to whoever was at the stumps and allowing them to effect the run out.