• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI batsman?

Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, sorry, Jonathan Neil Rhodes is not even South Africa's best ODI batsman, never mind a top-tier (never never mind best-ever-candidate) batsman.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What does winning the World Cup three times have to do with being the best batsman?
Love Sachin and his record is great but he's never remotely produced an innings to compare with either Richard's or Ponting's efforts in finals

Personally, I dont have SRT in the top 3

social

haha .... is that a joke coz

SRT averages 52+ in tournament finals

SRT tournament finals

while Ponting averages less than 40

Ponting in tournament finals
Care factor = 0

Let's face it, I don't need to read those stats to know that by far the most important ODI innings Sachin ever played was in SA of the '03 Final

He got 1 or 2 or 5 or whatever it was

Any number of quality but meaningless hundreds doesnt change that

Ponting has delivered when it matters

ret

International Debutant
another interesting detail

Of the 38 finals that Sachin has played, India have won 15, lost 19 and NR 4

in the 15 games that Ind have won, Sachin averages 99.90 [thats 100!]

that probably makes him the single biggest match-winner in the history from those who have played 30 or more finals

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Apart from the World Cup, I'm not sure a lot of those finals were really that important or really compare with the only important tourney in ODI.

ret

International Debutant
Care factor = 0

Let's face it, I don't need to read those stats to know that by far the most important ODI innings Sachin ever played was in SA of the '03 Final

He got 1 or 2 or 5 or whatever it was

Any number of quality but meaningless hundreds doesnt change that

Ponting has delivered when it matters
when someone starts picking games [and a single one for that matter :laugh: ], it means he has noting more in his arsenal and is a dead duck

and by that logic, anyone who hasn't played in the WC final should not be considered 8-) .... and he was the MoT in that WC and had to go from ball one chasing 360 .... i wonder how much he would have scored if he had faced the tripe served by Ind bowlers in that game

social

when someone starts picking games [and a single one for that matter :laugh: ], it means he has noting more in his arsenal and is a dead duck

and by that logic, anyone who hasn't played in the WC final should not be considered 8-) .... and he was the MoT in that WC and had to go from ball one chasing 360 .... i wonder how much he would have scored if he had faced the tripe served by Ind bowlers in that game
Good point

Is Gilchrist, who has arguably won Oz 3 WCs Finals (the only games that matter btw) on the trot, the best ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.