• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fullback at the tournament

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to judge Brown. He's had a poor tournament but also limited opportunities. Has had some shocking handling errors but I try to avoid making early calls based on those types of things.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Nonu is nowhere near one of the best backs in the world. One trick pony.

Brown ironically outplayed Folau largely tonight
How is he a one trick pony? He passes of both hands (short and miss passes), runs fantastic lines, defends well, steps off both feet and has a superb grubber kick. He has probably surpassed Tim Horan as the best no12 of all time. Nonu is now the 2nd best midfielder I've ever seen (behind Phillipe Sella).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He's awesome but he has a tendency not to drift properly on defense. The one hole in his game.

Umaga was better.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard to judge Brown. He's had a poor tournament but also limited opportunities. Has had some shocking handling errors but I try to avoid making early calls based on those types of things.
Sums it up that people think Brown had a poor tournament yet he was by no means the worst England player on display. Shows how bad the rest were.

As for the best, no idea, don't watch enough rugby to make a fair call on that but it isn't Brown.

91Jmay

International Coach
Brown hasn't had a poor tournament, afraid you don't watch much rugby if you think that is the case. Nonu all flash and little substance plus brainless penalties at worst possible time.

Brown was man of the match first game, did well against Wales and outplayed Folau by a distance last night. Shame pack didn't perform like him.

Frost

U19 Debutant
Brown hasn't had a poor tournament, afraid you don't watch much rugby if you think that is the case. Nonu all flash and little substance plus brainless penalties at worst possible time.

Brown was man of the match first game, did well against Wales and outplayed Folau by a distance last night. Shame pack didn't perform like him.
Is that how nonu is still perceived, wow looks like you don't watch much rugby

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Brown's been undeniably poor in the 2 full matches I watched of him, and I'm afraid if you still think that about Nonu you're the one that hasn't actually watched him play.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah there is no way Brown outplayed Folau "by a distance" last night, even if Folau wasn't at his best.

91Jmay

International Coach
Bloke with the most clean breaks and 3rd most meters made in tournament has been 'undeniably bad'. :laugh: Ok then.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bloke with the most clean breaks and 3rd most meters made in tournament has been 'undeniably bad'. :laugh: Ok then.
He must've had a great game against Fiji because he was poor against Wales and bad against Australia.

I'm not even sure why you're arguing. I didn't say he's a bad player: In fact I clearly stated that I was reserving judgement. He broke a tackle against Australia in a way that reminded me of Cory Jane so I assume there's some talent there. But the mistakes meant that he's had two poor games - the games I watched. Maybe he was amazing against Fiji but 1/3 is a poor tournament in my book.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
First 10 points came pretty much directly off mistakes he made IIRC
He stopped a certain try as well. Folau should have been able to free the winger on a two on one but Brown rushed up and tackled Folau before he could off load.

But yes the game wasn't a good advertisement for him.

I still rate him and thought he went great guns against wales and created England's try.

He won't be happy with his effort.

Folau did not do much better mind.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
First 10 points came pretty much directly off mistakes he made IIRC
He stopped a certain try as well. Folau should have been able to free the winger on a two on one but Brown rushed up and tackled Folau before he could off load.

But yes the game wasn't a good advertisement for him.

I still rate him and thought he went great guns against wales and created England's try.

He won't be happy with his effort.

Folau did not do much better mind.
Yeah as mentioned there were enough signs to hint at a quality player. But it's not unfair to say he didn't do himself justice. None of the English players did.

JMay is sounding like a NZC fan when someone fails to mention Kane Williamson on any discussion of any batsman under the age of 30.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
nonu is without doubt the best 12 in the world, unbelievably good player. would've agreed a few years ago he's a one trick pony but he's got it all now

giteau though has brought much more to the wallabies than i thought he would, been exceptional

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
errr he hasn't been a one-dimensional player for a good 10 years mate. Actually one of the best passing 12s now which is amazing since he was basically incapable of passing in his first few years.

He's the best 12 in the world by a considerable margin. His absence hurts the ABs significantly.
Yeah this

I never actually thought he was a one-trick pony tbh as some of his early displays for the 'Canes were awesome although his game has definitely developed over the years

IIRC,as a youngster, he was massively talented but slightly overweight and was competing for a spot against Umaga, Mauger, Carter etc so took a while to make the spot his own