• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best fast bowling quartet

Which fast bowling quartet would be the best?

• McGrath, Lillee, Lindwall, Davidson

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Holding

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Khan, Akram, Younis, Akhtar

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Steyn, Donald, Adcock, S Pollock

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Slifer

International Captain
Surprise Surprise, I'm going with the west indies. 3 of their four bowlers average under 21. Even with the lack of variety ie in terms of a left armer or reverse swing, each averages under 24 home and away. And I'm going to guess, the west Indians have the best collective average. Maybe even strike rate. Also, at least 3 of the bowlers played together and were part of the best (or worst 2nd best) team of all time.

Slifer

International Captain
We can speculate on hypothetical quartets but none would beat the one of Roberts, Holding, Marshall and Garner who actually played together.
Roberts, Holding, Garner and Croft I believe actually played a fair amount together, as opposed to with Marshall.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Roberts, Holding, Garner and Croft I believe actually played a fair amount together, as opposed to with Marshall.
True, although there were a couple of series where they did for the most part.

Croft's inclusion makes the quartet only slightly less formidable but possibly more intimidating.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Surprise Surprise, I'm going with the west indies. 3 of their four bowlers average under 21. Even with the lack of variety ie in terms of a left armer or reverse swing, each averages under 24 home and away. And I'm going to guess, the west Indians have the best collective average. Maybe even strike rate. Also, at least 3 of the bowlers played together and were part of the best (or worst 2nd best) team of all time.
They are the best individual bowlers for me, but in a 4 man pace attack, I'd maybe rather sacrifice a bit of quality for variety. Left arm good, but I think reverse is probably more important. WIs were drawing a lot in their boss period with an attack not too different to this.

IDK who of these to pick- all 4 are so close as units. Pak have the weakest individuals, but maybe the least holes as a unit, while RSA and Aus are in the middle in terms of variety and quality.

Surprised how heavily WI are winning this tbh.

Slifer

International Captain
They are the best individual bowlers for me, but in a 4 man pace attack, I'd maybe rather sacrifice a bit of quality for variety. Left arm good, but I think reverse is probably more important. WIs were drawing a lot in their boss period with an attack not too different to this.

IDK who of these to pick- all 4 are so close as units. Pak have the weakest individuals, but maybe the least holes as a unit, while RSA and Aus are in the middle in terms of variety and quality.

The opening bowlers for each of the 4 teams probably cancel each other out ie:

MM/Curtly vs Lillee/Glenn vs Imran/Wasim etc
But imo, the WI 3rd bowler Garner is better than any other 3rd bowler not named Pat Cummins. Then Holding vs Pollock, Akhtar or Davidson I'm going with Michael but Davidson is right there.

Ali TT

International Debutant

Saying that, the Windies bowlers would've been used to playing in 4-man attacks and providing the variety required whereas for the others you'd be asking an opening bowler to come in 2nd change.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
The opening bowlers for each of the 4 teams probably cancel each other out ie:

MM/Curtly vs Lillee/Glenn vs Imran/Wasim etc
But imo, the WI 3rd bowler Garner is better than any other 3rd bowler not named Pat Cummins. Then Holding vs Pollock, Akhtar or Davidson I'm going with Michael but Davidson is right there.
I dont think you can play this cancel out game. Wi definitely win, but I'm not sure it refects on the quality of the attack as a unit.

bagapath

International Captain
Fazal in place of the occasionally brilliant and occasionally erratic Akhthar might make the Pakistani attack even more exciting.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Fazal in place of the occasionally brilliant and occasionally erratic Akhthar might make the Pakistani attack even more exciting.
Have to disagree here . Shoaib could destroy any batting line up on any track at his peak . He needs to be there.