• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsman of 2000-2007

Which do you think is the best batsman of the 21 century?

• Matthew hayden - (AUS)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adam Gilchrist - (AUS)

• Jacques Kallis - (RSA)

• Ricky Ponting - (AUS)

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Graeme Smith - (RSA)

• Chris Gayle - (WI)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Kevin Pieterson - (GB)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • C. Silva - (SL)

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Herschelle Gibbs - (RSA)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • C. Jayasuriya (SL)

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cover drive man

International Captain
Ricky Thomas Ponting

I chose Ricky Ponting and I feel that it would be stupid not to give my reasons to why I chose him. Ricky ponting has been a fantastic addition to the Australian side and since being appointed captain has been a magnificent leader in helping Australia regain the ashes and many other victories I first came across Ponting in the 2005 ashes when he was batting in the third test at old trafford he was the reason the australians got the draw and gave an inspirational century. Since them I have watched in awe as he gives some absoloutely magnificent perfomances. He leads by example and is a truly great part of the Australian squad . He has a fantastic test batting average of 59.29 in which he has scored 9368 runs and is a couple of centurys away from ten thousand runs. He has scored thirty three hundreds and thirty six half centurys with a top score of two hundred and fifty seven in his fantastic and inspiring career. In one day international cricket he has scored more runs than he has in test and has been a great one day international player.

He has 9368 International test match runs which is more than Graeme Smith, Chris Gayle, Sanath Jayasuriya, Adam Gilchrist and many more. In one day internationals he has scored 10395 runs which is more than teamates Mathew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist. And has more one day international runs than opponents Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Kallis and Chris Gayle.

He has scored more centurys than any other Australian batsmen such as Steve Waugh, Don Bradman and many more great Australian batsmen. He also became the first Australian to score 10,000 runs in One day internationl cricket and the seventh in world cricket to recieve this distinction when he faced South Africa in the two thousand and seven world cup in West India. Pontings average of 59.29 in test match cricket is a better average than legends such as Ian Botham, Jack Hobbs, Garfield Sobers, Sir Vivian Richards and Steve Waugh. His average is also better than many modern greats such as teammate Adam Gilchrist, South African Jacques Kallis, Herschelle Gibbs and Matthew hayden. To conclude my explanation for choosing Ricky Ponting I say since his debut in ninghteen ninety five Ricky Ponting has been a driving force in not just Australian cricket but in cricket across the world. He is one of the greatest batters of all time and in my ambitious but inexperienced opinion the greatest batter of the new millinium. So that is why I chose Ricky Ponting.

Thanks to Wikipedia I have a little picture. This graph details the Test Match performance of Ricky Ponting. The red bars indicate the player's test match innings, while the blue line shows the average of the ten most recent innings at that point. Note that this average cannot be calculated for the first nine innings. The blue dots indicate innings in which Ponting finished not-out.

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
yeah he has earned his rep, but don't you think that is to the detriment of the Indian team.

What he did in the 90s bears no relevence to what he has done in the last 5 years.
Don't forget he scored a ton in his last test. He's not to be written off just yet

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tendulkar post 2004 hasn't been very good at all. Tendulkar from 2002-2004 was good. Tendulkar pre-2002 was fantastic.
You're kidding, right? Tendulkar 2002-2004 played 3 consecutive good innings (I'm certain he was dropped in one of them, too) and just 1 other notable score besides. IMO he's actually been better since 2004 as he's regained his consistency even if he's not managed anywhere near the weight he had between 1990 and 2002.

And I'll say again what I've said a fair few times: he looked better in his most recent series than he has done at any time since the home season of October-November 2002.

Khaalis Gumbs

Cricket Spectator
There is no competition for ponting there .In this era Lara and Ponting are at the top of the top list of batsmaen.Though as a Caribbean person I would admit because of Lara's recent form up to retirement Ponting is by far the best. :sleep:

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
ALl rounders will be included but remember: This is a poll for BATTING skills, not bowling.

I include the teams of the batsmen just to let ya know which teams they play for.
TBF if someone doesn't know who they play for they have no business voting in the first place...

Ponting for me, although there are some glaring omissions.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
On a completely unrelated note, CDM's posts have been getting a lot better in the last two weeks or so. Well done. (Just a tip though - when writing sizable cricket posts like the one in this thread, try to seperate it into a few paragraphs to make it easier to read.)

Anyway, went with Ponting as well.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Just to be different and to irritate the guy who posted this poll :laugh: I have voted C.Silva .:laugh:

Now he has more votes than Jacques Kallis.:)

But honestly the answer to the poll has to be Ponting and none other.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
KP. he got one vote and that is the one that i voted. that is suprising for me
Well he's only been playing for two years of the possible seven.

Just downright stupid that Dravid isn't in this poll though.