• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worst Triple Century and above knock ?

Sunil1z

International Regular
Which players are contenders for best triple century and which players are contenders for worst 300 according to you ?

F7D5C28E-E5EF-456E-81B6-75BD591FFC9A.jpeg

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I want to say almost all of them qualify for worst because of the roadiness of the conditions but I guess that's part and parcel of making a Test 300

For me the first and most important qualifier for "Best" should have to be one that didn't end in a draw. But I can't think of any particularly good ones.

To then immediately contradict this statement maybe McCullum's, given the context of the match when he did it after a massive first innings deficit. Cbf checking but it would probably be the only 2nd innings 300+ score in Tests?

Michael Clarke's was pretty good. Notable for how it could, and probably should, have been an even higher score if not for his virtue-signalling declaration

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I want to say almost all of them qualify for worst because of the roadiness of the conditions but I guess that's part and parcel of making a Test 300

For me the first and most important qualifier for "Best" should have to be one that didn't end in a draw. But I can't think of any particularly good ones.

To then immediately contradict this statement maybe McCullum's, given the context of the match when he did it after a massive first innings deficit. Cbf checking but it would probably be the only 2nd innings 300+ score in Tests?

Michael Clarke's was pretty good. Notable for how it could, and probably should, have been an even higher score if not for his virtue-signalling declaration
Hanif’s 337 was also a second innings triple. Freak collapse by Pakistan in their first innings.

Windies 579/9 Pak 106 Pak 657/8 Windies 28/0

Hanif gives them a draw after trailing by 473 after the first innings.

trundler

Sanga's 319 against Bangladesh was pretty meaningless and I think he was dropped a lot too. Edrich's triple century came against an awful side too.

Hanif's and McCullum's were back to the wall efforts which is rare for a triple century.

TheJediBrah

Sanga's 319 against Bangladesh was pretty meaningless and I think he was dropped a lot too. Edrich's triple century came against an awful side too.

Hanif's and McCullum's were back to the wall efforts which is rare for a triple century.
Yeah it has to be McCullum or Hanif

Hayden's was also against a weak side and he was dropped a lot

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Best one was Gooch's 333 v India.

Can't think of a worst one. I'm guessing Lara's 400 is disqualified from this. That was painful to watch on the flattest of tracks.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
I saw most of Amla’s innings in person. It wasn’t bad so much as lacking in any distinctive qualities, he just went on and on. His century at Lord’s later in that series was I think a finer innings due to the circumstances.

morgieb

McCullum and Hanif the clear cut 1/2.

The other ones worth noting:

* Bradman doing it in a single day (but had the advantage of much longer days/better over rates - his SR while excellent isn't that exceptional compared to the rest)
* Azhar doing it in a game where they got rolled for 130 and only won by 30 runs (in fairness this was a D/Ner)
* Inzaman did it in a game where Shoaib took 6/11 (though peak Shoaib could do **** like that)
* I've heard excellent things about Lawrence Rowe, it wasn't on a total road and the attack was strong

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Edrich's triple century came against an awful side too.
The collective spin attack was laughable, but Motz, Taylor and Collinge is on paper a decent pace attack. Arguably better than the bowling Hanif, Hammond, or Hayden scored theirs against.

I'd be tempted to put Hammond's as the worst due the bowling, which might well be the weakest overall of the lot. Or Sandham's.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
I’m surprised you said Hayden
I think they both scored them against very weak sides in addition to them being roads. Edrich is in the same boat. In other cases the opposition was reasonably strong or on similar standing to their own teams.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Surprised that India appear only four times at the receiving end of the bumrush. Not surprised all four happened between 1990-2015. Watched/read about each one of those as they happened too, fun times.