• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worst Triple Century and above knock ?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara's, Hayden's and Jayasuriya's knocks are all strong contenders. Any 200/300 hit after the match result is virtually known is a contender for the most terrible knock.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At least Hayden's was in a win. Lara's 400 and Jayasuriya's made no attempt at a result. Just batted for selfish reasons, should have called the game off. The other extreme of the Clarke virtue scale.

subshakerz

International Coach
Lara's, Hayden's and Jayasuriya's knocks are all strong contenders. Any 200/300 hit after the match result is virtually known is a contender for the most terrible knock.
Jayasurias was fine. India had scored 500 odd and Jayasuria got out at 615. Hayden's was in a win.

Laras is unforgivable especially since England got out in their first innings for less than 300. WI could have easily batted twice and won the game on the last day.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayasurias was fine. India had scored 500 odd and Jayasuria got out at 615. Hayden's was in a win.

Laras is unforgivable especially since England got out in their first innings for less than 300. WI could have easily batted twice and won the game on the last day.
Yeah that Jayasuriya knock was of no fault of his. Not sure at which session he got out. But Srilanka should have declared after he got out and tried bowling India out cheaply in the second innings.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah that Jayasuriya knock was of no fault of his. Not sure at which session he got out. But Srilanka should have declared after he got out and tried bowling India out cheaply in the second innings.
I don't think there's any way that test gets a result without an extra day. Jayasuriya got out in the fourth over of the last day with a lead of only 78. Considering how easy the pitch was for batting it would have been very hard to bowl India out in time to chase.

TheJediBrah

Yeah good point. SL batting until 900+ makes the Jayasuriya innings look worse than it was

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

Yes, you've mentioned Lara 3 times in 3 pages, we get it. You disagreed, I don't.

We were not a good team, and the memory of the record will last longer than a single victory. Hayden's was seen as serious punching down and Lara and the Caribbean for the most part wanted him to reclaim it.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes, you've mentioned Lara 3 times in 3 pages, we get it. You disagreed, I don't.

We were not a good team, and the memory of the record will last longer than a single victory. Hayden's was seen as serious punching down and Lara and the Caribbean for the most part wanted him to reclaim it.
I accept your points but I can't respect any cricketer literally choosing self glory over team achievement. And I am a Lara fan (yes it's true).

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Can only remember Karun Nair's, Amla's, Gooch's and Lara's two efforts in any detail because obviously they were against England. Arguably Lara's 375 was the better of the two innings that he played. I would say that Amla's knock at the Oval was the best. I saw a good chunk of that in the flesh too. That set the tone for the series and deflated England straight away. Swann was severely neutered for that series and was never the same bowler after that point. Tim Bresnan, in one match went from having a bowling average of 25 to above 30 and he was brutally exposed after his elbow operation as not being quick enough to take out top batsmen.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
* I've heard excellent things about Lawrence Rowe, it wasn't on a total road and the attack was strong
Here's the scorecard for Rowe's triple.

Whilst not remotely relevant to this thread, I was struck by England's weird batting order. It probably owed something to the middle order collapsing in the previous two tests, but dropping Boycott to 4 was looks perverse. Especially with the captain promoting himeslf to open instead of him.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Can only remember Karun Nair's, Amla's, Gooch's and Lara's two efforts in any detail because obviously they were against England. Arguably Lara's 375 was the better of the two innings that he played. I would say that Amla's knock at the Oval was the best. I saw a good chunk of that in the flesh too. That set the tone for the series and deflated England straight away. Swann was severely neutered for that series and was never the same bowler after that point. Tim Bresnan, in one match went from having a bowling average of 25 to above 30 and he was brutally exposed after his elbow operation as not being quick enough to take out top batsmen.
For 12 months that bowling line up of Anderson + Broad + Tremlet + Bresnan was absolute nightmare for any batting line .

Chin Music

State 12th Man
For 12 months that bowling line up of Anderson + Broad + Tremlet + Bresnan was absolute nightmare for any batting line .
It's a fair comment, that's why I reckoned Amla's innings could be claimed to be the best of those triple tons that I watched in any detail. It wasn't an innings that relied on doing it against very weak bowling and although the Oval was/is batting friendly it wasn't on the same level as the Antigua Recreation Ground.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
* Inzaman did it in a game where Shoaib took 6/11 (though peak Shoaib could do **** like that)
I've talked to a guy who played in that game, and was dismissed by Shoaib in that innings...it's hyperbole, generally, when a batsman says they couldn't see the ball, but there were many deliveries where the NZ guys genuinely couldn't. If you watch the highlights, it's six guys either lbw or bowled, who don't even react or move. He said the changing room was akin to something you'd find in a World War bunker, guys white as a sheet post-innings or frightened to pop their head up and bat.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Incidentally, the answer is Matthew Hayden. Gross bullying of Trevor Gripper and co, the rest of his team mates showed they didn't give an F, but watching it you could tell Hayden had designs the whole way along of gaining the world record for the highest solo innings. Which is why it was awesome when Lara stole it 6 months later. At least Lara could say he got his side to 700 against a good team, and could justify needing the runs...Australia never needed 700 against Zimbabwe.

OverratedSanity

I've talked to a guy who played in that game, and was dismissed by Shoaib in that innings...it's hyperbole, generally, when a batsman says they couldn't see the ball, but there were many deliveries where the NZ guys genuinely couldn't. If you watch the highlights, it's six guys either lbw or bowled, who don't even react or move. He said the changing room was akin to something you'd find in a World War bunker, guys white as a sheet post-innings or frightened to pop their head up and bat.
Haha the highlights video of that spell is just shoaib spamming 150 kph yorkers constantly, insane to watch

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The McCullum 300, obviously I'm seen as a Baz sycophant, but that was about as cool as it gets. It literally stopped a lot of the nation, who got around TV sets on the morning of day 5 to see him bring up triple figures. He scored 224 in the previous Test, too, having gone 3 years without a Test hundred, copping heat for the Ross Taylor captaincy fiasco/all out 45 in Cape Town etc. It was a huge turning point in Baz's career, NZ's confidence and the public perception of our team.