• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worst Triple Century and above knock ?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Part of me jumps to Bradman's 334 for the 300 in a day stat I remember coming across a lot as a kid, for the best one.

Hammond's 336 was considered by some to not even be a legit record, the bowling of NZ's test team pre Cowie being that weak.

Hutton's 364, the score to give England back the undisputed title, was very highly regarded and infamous too

Karun Nair's looks **** because scrub batsman not good enough to be test regulars aren't meant to get them. It's like Voges ATG average, it looks out of place

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Part of me jumps to Bradman's 334 for the 300 in a day stat I remember coming across a lot as a kid, for the best one.

Hammond's 336 was considered by some to not even be a legit record, the bowling of NZ's test team pre Cowie being that weak.

Hutton's 364, the score to give England back the undisputed title, was very highly regarded and infamous too

Karun Nair's looks **** because scrub batsman not good enough to be test regulars aren't meant to get them. It's like Voges ATG average, it looks out of place
The press coverage of Hutton’s 364 was focused around his beating Bradman’s score. Hammond’s 336 was little mentioned.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Bradman's 300 in a day looks pretty decent, but is there anything to note about his other triple century?

It looks like he scored less, from more deliveries, so maybe a candidate depending on context?

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Bradman's 300 in a day looks pretty decent, but is there anything to note about his other triple century?

It looks like he scored less, from more deliveries, so maybe a candidate depending on context?
I thought a while ago that his second triple rather sailed under the historical radar. Maybe it was just that after 1930 people just began to expect these things from himm

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Both Bradman’s triples were at Leeds which is kinda cool.

1930 (21 at the time):

105 before lunch, 115 in between lunch and tea, a paltry 89 between tea and stumps.

100 in 145, 200 in 263, 300 in 413

fun fact: Bradman had already scored 101 runs in a session that series during his 254 at Lords.

Worth noting the other top scorers in that match - Hammond 113, Kippax 77, Woodfull 50.

Also worth noting Tate’s performance. 5/124 including Bradman and Kippax.

1934:

102 between tea and stumps, also went on to score 109 in a session at the Oval that series.

100 in 235, 200 in 359, 300 in 457

Other scores of note: Ponsford 181, Leyland 49*, Walters 45

Bradman and Ponsford combined for 485, the other 9 batsmen combined for 82. Bowes had a great performance, 6/142 including Brown, Woodfull, Bradman and McCabe. 5 of them bowled.

Tbf to Hammond, the bowling he faced was poor, but only one other English batsman crossed 50 (Wyatt, 60). Hammond scored his 300 off 355, and scored 111 before lunch, and 150 between lunch and tea.

For Hutton, that wicket was flat, there’s no denying it. Hell that whole series was flat. Hutton scored 300 off 727 (no tons during sessions ofc). England had two other batsman (Leyland and Hardstaff) score 150+.

Ironically, all of these were draws except for Hutton’s (in just 4 days in what was supposed to be a timeless match). Fingleton pulled a muscle and Bradman ****ed his ankle in a footmark. Both were unable to return. Australia only had 3 recognised bowlers, O’Reilly, Fleetwood-Smith and Waite (medium/off spin, averaged 31 in FC). McCabe opened the bowling, he and Barnes both ended up with 38 overs.

Hutton on 40 got lucky, missed stumping opportunity, missed a ball from Chuck and the keeper missed it entirely. Apparently on day two there were also 4 no balls, on every occasion a wicket would have been taken.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Is there any other innings as selfish as Lara's 400?
Is there any innings as pretending to be unselfish as Warner declaring on 335* when he could have probably got 500 and Pakistan still would have been beaten on day 4

I have Jedi's opinion on this, it totally is virtue signalling to pretend you don't care about individual records and only care about winning. Anyone who's played cricket ain't buying that.

At the end of the day, Warner or Clarke going on to get 401 would have been such a better moment for the fans and Australian cricket long term then making sure they beat Pakistan in a dead rubber in 3 days in a series nobody will remember

subshakerz

International Coach
Is there any innings as pretending to be unselfish as Warner declaring on 335* when he could have probably got 500 and Pakistan still would have been beaten on day 4

I have Jedi's opinion on this, it totally is virtue signalling to pretend you don't care about individual records and only care about winning. Anyone who's played cricket ain't buying that.

At the end of the day, Warner or Clarke going on to get 401 would have been such a better moment for the fans and Australian cricket long term then making sure they beat Pakistan in a dead rubber in 3 days in a series nobody will remember
Imran Khan got a lot of flack for declaring when Miandad was 280 not out against India. However, he himself declared when he was in the 90s against SL.

Having said that, the issue is Lara's 400 definitely seemed to cost his team a chance at victory. I don't think a milestone should compromise a team result.

mr_mister

Imran Khan got a lot of flack for declaring when Miandad was 280 not out against India. However, he himself declared when he was in the 90s against SL.

Having said that, the issue is Lara's 400 definitely seemed to cost his team a chance at victory. I don't think a milestone should compromise a team result.
Agree, but the Warner situation was taking the absolute piss. Too far the other way

Imran actually declaring when he himself was in the 90s, is something I will respect as genuinely selfless. Couldn't have paid me enough to do that (not a match fixing reference)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Absolutely. Clarke especially. He had over 2 days left in the game and could easily have gone for the record.

Declaring when he did was actually more selfish than batting on because he clearly did it to make himself look like he's unselfish. Ironic

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolutely. Clarke especially. He had over 2 days left in the game and could easily have gone for the record.

Declaring when he did was actually more selfish than batting on because he clearly did it to make himself look like he's unselfish. Ironic
This is some dumbass virtue signalling against virtue signalling.