• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ben Stokes vs Ravi Ashwin

Who wins the allrounder battle?

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@Pratters:

2003-onwards Vettori maybe comparable as a batsman to Ashwin so far; and yes they were slightly better batsmen than Kapil imo.
You are going over board regarding Ashwin's batting. Let it rest. Maybe after 4-5 years when he actually has made a lot of runs, you can make a case. Not now. You forget his batting has been improving over the years. Two years ago he couldn't bat like this. Let's see where it goes or if he can even sustain this level.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I can see an argument for batting based on recent form, but given how he started with the bat and England's options I dont think he gets in overall. And if we use recent form to justify Stokes getting in as a pure bat, then Ashwin gets in too - he had twin 100s vs the West Indies and that fear alone has earned Rohit Sharma a whole Test career.

I agree on 4th seamer, but England's best XI doesn't feature 4 pure bowlers. If not for his batting, Stokes would be a fringe fast bowler trying to break in.
Stokes obviously gets into the side on batting alone ffs.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
You are going over board regarding Ashwin's batting. Let it rest. Maybe after 4-5 years when he actually has made a lot of runs, you can make a case. Not now. You forget his batting has been improving over the years. Two years ago he couldn't bat like this. Let's see where it goes or if he can even sustain this level.
"I just love his whole mannerism while batting at the crease - the poise, the pose, the ease. I'm a big fan of batsmen that have that flair while batting, which Ashwin certainly has." - Sir Vivian Richards

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
"I just love his whole mannerism while batting at the crease - the poise, the pose, the ease. I'm a big fan of batsmen that have that flair while batting, which Ashwin certainly has." - Sir Vivian Richards
I loved the style of Trevor Gripper as a batsman. That does not mean how much of a quality he was or wasn't.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
“Cricket has had eras. In the eighties, it was Viv Richards, and then you had Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar who stood out. Adam Voges is one of the most complete players I’ve seen. He’s so versatile; he plays on both feet, and on all sides of the field.’’ - Imran Khan

Flem274*

123/5
things daniel vettori has done that ashwin hasn't

-played well in games outside of the subcontinent and windies with bat and ball
-drove a bus
-been good enough to be selected to bowl spin in new zealand and not dropped in favour of the indian anton devcich
-taken wickets in australia
-supported by people who think "burgeypoo" is a clever name

next you'll be spouting ashwin is better than kapi....i see

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I loved the style of Trevor Gripper as a batsman. That does not mean how much of a quality he was or wasn't.
Sure, although there's a slight difference between Pratters liking Trevor Gripper and Viv Richards being a fan of Ashwin's batting.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
“Cricket has had eras. In the eighties, it was Viv Richards, and then you had Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar who stood out. Adam Voges is one of the most complete players I’ve seen. He’s so versatile; he plays on both feet, and on all sides of the field.’’ - Imran Khan
Imran Khan also said Mohammad Sami would be the new Malcolm Marshall.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sure, although there's a slight difference between Pratters liking Trevor Gripper and Viv Richards being a fan of Ashwin's batting.
:laugh: Thats not the point. Point is style doesn't always equate to runs and quality. And you are trying to point to the quality of Ashwin as a batsman. Some first class batsmen look really classical and lovely. However they can't make loads of test runs, for instance.