• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ben Stokes vs Ravi Ashwin

Who wins the allrounder battle?

• Total voters

cnerd123

likes this
Moeen just compiled a scratchy fifty against BD where he was out LBW like a dozen times

Ashwin averages more in the West Indies and against the West Indies than Allan Border

How is this a debate?

Teja.

Global Moderator
I dunno who is the better all rounder aesthetically or based on skills etc. but Ashwin has and will produce far greater output in test match cricket wrt individual contributions to winning games than Stokes or most cricketers to have ever played.

That has to count for something.

cnerd123

likes this
A fun way to evaluate allrounders would be to discuss who would win in a single-wicket contest.

Ashwin pwns Stokes 9 times out of 10 imo.

Flem274*

123/5
moeen is fun but to say he's easily better than ashwin with the willow is optimistic at best and english tabloid media at worst.

if ashwin played in the southern hemisphere he'd be a batsman who bowls a little in domestic cricket. he can bat, so i hear.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A fun way to evaluate allrounders would be to discuss who would win in a single-wicket contest.

Ashwin pwns Stokes 9 times out of 10 imo.
Well, playing anywhere except an excessively turning subcontinental "not-real-cricket" wicket Stokes would win 9 times out of 10

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
if ashwin played in the southern hemisphere he'd be a batsman who bowls a little in domestic cricket. he can bat, so i hear.
Lol, if Ashwin played in the southern hemisphere, his country would start producing crumbling pitches to get home advantage against India.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Stokes a better all rounder and a better batsman. Ash a better bowler. But I may not pick either in my world XI. Yasir is awesome and I would pick 3 proper fast bowlers and a spin bowling all rounder at 6 in Shakiib.

TheJediBrah

Lol, if Ashwin played in the southern hemisphere, his country would start producing crumbling pitches to get home advantage against India.
I can't even translate what this is supposed to mean. Wouldn't crumbling pitches help India?

Flem274*

123/5
if ashwin lived in the southern hemisphere, he'd still be a lesser cricketer outside of the subcontinent than mark craig

91Jmay

International Coach
moeen is fun but to say he's easily better than ashwin with the willow is optimistic at best and english tabloid media at worst.

Moeen is a middle order bat and part time spinner. Ashwin is the world's premier spinner who is a very capable lower order bat.

If Ashwin played in southern hemisphere he'd be a very good spinner who was a capable lower order bat. If Moeen played in Asia he'd be a middle order bat who bowls a few overs a day.

flibbertyjibber

I wouldn't swap Stokes for any player in the world at present and I doubt the Indian fans would swap Ashwin for anyone else either. Looking at both of them I would seriously just have to go for Stokes given his overseas record is far superior and he is a better more destructive bat. Until Ashwin does it away from home that question mark will always be there but I can fully understand why an Indian fan would say they would prefer Ashwin.