• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Beating India in India bigger than Ashes'

Spark

Global Moderator
Multi or troll. Almost all his posts have been, in one form or another, "India > _____" (Australia in particular)

Blaze 18

Banned
What he probably meant was that it'd be a tad harder for England to beat the current Indian side in India than the current Australian side in Australia. From a purely emotional POV, I think it's a no-contest. I am sure most England fans would much rather have England lose to us and beat Australia than the other way around.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
What he probably meant was that it'd be a tad harder for England to beat the current Indian side in India than the current Australian side in Australia. From a purely emotional POV, I think it's a no-contest. I am sure most England fans would much rather have England lose to us and beat Australia than the other way around.
Only tad?:unsure:

Last time we lost a series at home was 2004 vs aus 2-1.
Before that 1997 i think vs SA .
In india tbh i really only fear steyn's first spell on the first day and high quality grafters like amla a little.
And thats not chest pumping just being honest.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned

In india tbh i really only fear steyn's first spell on the first day and high quality grafters like amla a little.
Exactly..

even when at their direst best (90s here's looking at you) India still remained largely a team to beat at home... and since 2004 has simply been unbeatable...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
pftttt. stop being jealous because you don't have an ashes

that's all im hearing

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned

Australia's home record has been quite impressive too ( they have only lost a series each to South Africa and England since the mid 90s or something, if I'm not mistaken), but yeah, that was because of their all-time great side. You're right - it was probably an understatement. Beating the current Indian side in India would be more than a tad harder than beating the current Australian side in Australia, especially for a non-subcontinental side. That being said, I don't think we'll see Australia play as poorly as they did in the Ashes in the near future. I expect them to win more often that not at home. Also, it's worth pointing out that Zaheer, Tendulkar, Laxman (and even Sehwag) may all be gone by the time England next play tests in India (no idea when that is FTR). Assuming that happens, the balance will once again tilt in favour of Australia.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But did that have to do with the quality of the Australian team for 10-odd years, rather than the conditions?

There's been some pretty ordinary Indian teams win a win home series over the last 15 years.
Nah. India couldn't win a series her in 85-86 or 77-78 ffs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Those Indian teams were far from great, and we're not talking about India's away strength. Australia still lost series at home when their team was crap didn't they?

We're talking India's home strength vs. Australia's home strength over the years.

Australia have been a far far far better team in recent times, but its not crazy to suggest that touring teams handle Australian conditions better than Indian conditions (and this goes further than just pitches - heat, food, culture shock etc.).

India's home record in the 90s and early 2000s is disproportional to the strength of the team. It had a ****load of weak links. But it got by through having tough conditions.

Obviously the greater number of tours to India and IPL is changing that.

Burgey

Not really it isn't. India, Pakistan and SL have never won a series in Australia. I think SA won their first here three years back. NZ have one once. History suggests the idea of India historically being harder to play in than Australia for touring teams is an utter myth. It was, I'm sure, a far less pleasant place to tour in the old days (talking way back here) but not harder.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yes, but the point here is that India (and Sri Lanka) are disproporitionatly better at home than away, whereas with Australia it's been much closer to the strength of the team.

In the mid 1980s Australia didn't win any of 6 home series from 1984 to 1989 - inculding losing twice to NZ, losing to England and drawing with India - but then didn't lose one for 15 years in the 90s and 2000s.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
Not really it isn't. India, Pakistan and SL have never won a series in Australia. I think SA won their first here three years back. NZ have one once. History suggests the idea of India historically being harder to play in than Australia for touring teams is an utter myth. It was, I'm sure, a far less pleasant place to tour in the old days (talking way back here) but not harder.
I believe Strauss was talking abt the recent present than way past.

Burgey

Yes and in that weakened period India toured here and couldn't win. Likewise in the WSC period.