• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bazball final verdict

Molehill

International Captain
England may well lose this series 3-1, but I have no desire to go back to the days of Sibley or Denley taking 100 balls to score 20 and then get out. The Zak Crawley rollercoaster is far more fun.

Arguably though, it is Bazball type strategies that will cost England the series. The daft declaration, the silly batting at Lord's, the desire to get an unfit Bairstow into the team ahead of Foakes. But it's still a massive improvement on the previous 18 months.

danzydab

U19 12th Man
England still need high quality cricketers to win, the continuous selection of anderson has proved costly so far.

Bazball doest give a break to the bowlers, eng need new and better fast bowlers, jack leach back will also help the bowling attack tremendously

As for the batting, it has been slightly reckless ever since the pakistan tour, throwing away wickets on a flat pitch is a very terrible strategy. Even in the 5t test, Eng just managed to collapse in favorable batting conditions

Molehill

International Captain
England still need high quality cricketers to win, the continuous selection of anderson has proved costly so far.

Bazball doest give a break to the bowlers, eng need new and better fast bowlers, jack leach back will also help the bowling attack tremendously

As for the batting, it has been slightly reckless ever since the pakistan tour, throwing away wickets on a flat pitch is a very terrible strategy. Even in the 5t test, Eng just managed to collapse in favorable batting conditions
I think that's harsh. In a must win game, they managed to set up a situation (with weather around) where the opposition needs to score 385 to win in the 4th innings. They may well end up doing that, but old England doesn't even create the opportunity.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They'll just come up with a new underhanded tactic. Bowlers will walk off after an exhausting 6 over spell to have a shower/rub and tug , and a Hollywood make-up artist will have already weaved their magic on a fresh replacement so they look exactly the same as the player who has just come off. Said replacement will go on instead, meaning their bowlers not only don't have to spend much time on the field when they aren't bowling, but now also only spend half the time on the field when they actually are.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Saturday at the Oval was just fabulous. Arguably it wasn’t ‘Bazball’ because it wasn’t incessant attacking but more measured positivity. Still nigh on five an over without going over the top. Australia baffled me with their very negative fields but even so it was a fun day.

England can still be positive without the stupidity that derailed them at Lord’s first innings.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Five full series, three wins, two draws
Two other Test wins (India, Ireland)

Opening partnership seems settled for now.
The keeper debate will rumble on and the attack, away from home, is not set in stone.

But improvements versus just over a year ago have been remarkable and therefore it’s hard to argue against the approach being anything but a success so far.

Ali TT

International Debutant
No Aussie bowler had an economy under 4*, no England bowler had one over.

* Excluding Smith and Labuschagne but they only bowled an over each

Son Of Coco

No Aussie bowler had an economy under 4*, no England bowler had one over.

* Excluding Smith and Labuschagne but they only bowled an over each
I think the series result shows how much this matters. Or, at least, how many other factors come into play.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Got to say current England team's self belief is something else. Even after being 0-2 down they were playing as though they were overwhelming favourites to win the series.

Although one could say if they had just a tad less self belief they may have not lost 1st test and finished winning 2-1.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Got to say current England team's self belief is something else. Even after being 0-2 down they were playing as though they are overwhelming favourites to win the series.

Although one could say if they had just a tad less self belief they may have not lost 1st test and finish winning 2-1.
Yeah this is, by miles, the most positive aspect of "Bazball" is the unvarnished self-belief every individual had in their own methods. That's something Australia definitely lacked in a few individuals at times - Green, Murphy, Labuschagne, Warner, Cummins himself at times seemed to second guess themselves a bit and it no doubt played a fair part the final result.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah this is, by miles, the most positive aspect of "Bazball" is the unvarnished self-belief every individual had in their own methods. That's something Australia definitely lacked in a few individuals at times - Green, Murphy, Labuschagne, Warner, Cummins himself at times seemed to second guess themselves a bit and it no doubt played a fair part the final result.
Yeah I couldn't agree more.

That's why I can't help but think it could be tweaked to keep this and shed some of the more cringe aspects.

Ali TT

International Debutant
I think the series result shows how much this matters. Or, at least, how many other factors come into play.
It was an interesting contrast in approaches. While England were possibly reckless in the first two tests, at the same time they would probably have failed to tie the series had they reverted to a more cautious approach after Lord's.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
They'll just come up with a new underhanded tactic. Bowlers will walk off after an exhausting 6 over spell to have a shower/rub and tug , and a Hollywood make-up artist will have already weaved their magic on a fresh replacement so they look exactly the same as the player who has just come off. Said replacement will go on instead, meaning their bowlers not only don't have to spend much time on the field when they aren't bowling, but now also only spend half the time on the field when they actually are.
Were you ever around when the great D.K.Lillee regularly took spells off the ground? This is nothing new.
Surely you are aware that if a bowler spends more than a certain time (10 minutes) off the ground then they aren't allowed to bowl for that amount of time upon their return.
I thought 'Whinging Poms' was an oft warranted term but the like of you and a couple of others have raised the bar in the whinging department.
Beneath your avatar is the title "Cricket Web: All-Time Legend" - ATG Whinger is more appropriate.

Son Of Coco

Were you ever around when the great D.K.Lillee regularly took spells off the ground? This is nothing new.
Surely you are aware that if a bowler spends more than a certain time (10 minutes) off the ground then they aren't allowed to bowl for that amount of time upon their return.
I thought 'Whinging Poms' was an oft warranted term but the like of you and a couple of others have raised the bar in the whinging department.
Beneath your avatar is the title "Cricket Web: All-Time Legend" - ATG Whinger is more appropriate.
#Bants™

I'm looking forward to the future when we have 8 substitute fielders on the ground while players are off having a shower/getting a haircut/getting their nails done etc

loterry1994

International Debutant
Good for the England groups confidence we’ll see how it goes against India and Australia away though. It’s here to stay that’s for sure

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I like how this thread is about a "final verdict" for something that is still ongoing and won't end any time soon.

Molehill

International Captain
I like how this thread is about a "final verdict" for something that is still ongoing and won't end any time soon.
Well you can look at it with respect to this series. Without Bazball we may not lose the First 2 Tests, but we also certainly don't win at The Oval either. But I'm of the opinion that some of our batsmen are simply not technically good enough to hang around for long periods so they're better off trying to score runs whilst they're in.

It's a shame McCullum wasn't in charge when we tried the likes of Roy and Hales because they could've been successful in a similar way.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well you can look at it with respect to this series. Without Bazball we may not lose the First 2 Tests, but we also certainly don't win at The Oval either. But I'm of the opinion that some of our batsmen are simply not technically good enough to hang around for long periods so they're better off trying to score runs whilst they're in.

It's a shame McCullum wasn't in charge when we tried the likes of Roy and Hales because they could've been successful in a similar way.
Oh yeah I completely agree.