• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bazball final verdict

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Oh yeah I completely agree.
We've seen Crawley seemingly come on technically as the series has come on. I thought he played a lot better in his innings of 70odd than in his ton in terms of control and discipline around off stump. Duckett, I think will always be rather suspect, especially at 28 years old and we've had Moeen do the interim job just playing his way. I still think we can see a lot more of Pope, who is still only 25. So there is still scope for improvement there.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But I'm of the opinion that some of our batsmen are simply not technically good enough to hang around for long periods so they're better off trying to score runs whilst they're in.
Maybe the philosophy is that batsmen with a technique watertight enough to get in and stay in only come along once every two or three generations. Everyone else has a ball with their name on it and they just need to score as many runs as they can before it gets them.

Consistent with the fact that Root is IMO the only batsman to get worse under Bazball.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Maybe the philosophy is that batsmen with a technique watertight enough to get in and stay in only come along once every two or three generations. Everyone else has a ball with their name on it and they just need to score as many runs as they can before it gets them.

Consistent with the fact that Root is IMO the only batsman to get worse under Bazball.
That absolutely doesn't show up in the stats. Since Stokes/McCullum took over, Root averages 58 with an s/r of 75. Root averaged 46 as captain himself and nearly 53 under Cook. His s/r was mid 50s under both. He had lean series v SA and in Pak last year but has otherwise been outstanding.

Molehill

International Captain
Which is actually a myth as he averages 58 in the Stokes era compared to overall average of 50. He's actually been a bit unlucky in this series to get a couple of unplayable deliveries too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah the stats don't bear it out but I guess where Uppercut is coming from is that at times it feels like Root has left runs out on the table. But I can live with him averaging near 60. Best batsman in the world now IMO.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Yeah the stats don't bear it out but I guess where Uppercut is coming from is that at times it feels like Root has left runs out on the table. But I can live with him averaging near 60. Best batsman in the world now IMO.
There were quite a few years where some very fluent innings ended with somewhat daft dismissals, especially between 2015 & 2019 when he really did seem to leave runs out on the table. I felt he should have bagged more than one ton, but he didn't quite manage it. Still a good series though, especially as since 2015 he had largely struggled against Australia and Cummins/Hazlewood in particular.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah barring that absolute god mode run, Root has always had conversion issues and you feel like he's left runs out there. It's just a bit more obvious when he's yeeting himself out rather than missing straight ones or doing that backfoot fiddle.

danzydab

U19 12th Man
Yeah barring that absolute god mode run, Root has always had conversion issues and you feel like he's left runs out there. It's just a bit more obvious when he's yeeting himself out rather than missing straight ones or doing that backfoot fiddle.
to be fair to root he got two unplayable grubbers in the last 2 tests.
but yes, he didnt score as many runs as he could have

Uppercut

It’s not a huge drop off or anything but I’d pick 2021 Root over this version personally. Batted in more difficult conditions and made fewer mistakes. The main reason his stats are worse because he toured Australia and I don’t think he’d do any better in Australia with his current style.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
It’s not a huge drop off or anything but I’d pick 2021 Root over this version personally. Batted in more difficult conditions and made fewer mistakes. The main reason his stats are worse because he toured Australia and I don’t think he’d do any better in Australia with his current style.
I think a fair difference is him not being captain to be honest. It dragged him down.

trundler

I was gonna say that his overall record doesn't tell the whole story as he only seemed to fix his conversion issues in 2021 but it's also possible that he just hit a purple patch then. His conversion rate is now Dravidesque rather than poor and that may be his new standard long term. He did miss out big time in Pakistan though and I think it's because he was trying too hard after the side got quick runs. Hope he never stops reverse lapping quick bowlers for entertainment's sake though.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I mean you'd pick 2021 Root over 99% of batsmen in history, that patch was bound to end sooner or later

He's better now than he was for the few years before that and at least as good as in the majority of his career

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They'll just come up with a new underhanded tactic. Bowlers will walk off after an exhausting 6 over spell to have a shower/rub and tug , and a Hollywood make-up artist will have already weaved their magic on a fresh replacement so they look exactly the same as the player who has just come off. Said replacement will go on instead, meaning their bowlers not only don't have to spend much time on the field when they aren't bowling, but now also only spend half the time on the field when they actually are.
You (and England, probably) are just copying a hilarious bit from the movie Baseketball.

danzydab

U19 12th Man
Bazball is vulnerable to batting collapses, that makes it very important for england to find a replacement for woakes in the future as a no.8 who can bat has proven to be game changing

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bazball is vulnerable to batting collapses, that makes it very important for england to find a replacement for woakes in the future as a no.8 who can bat has proven to be game changing
Both Woakes and Wood scored invaluable runs this Ashes. So did the Australian lower order for that matter.

Ali TT

International Debutant
England were vulnerable to collapses before Bazball, just now we sent to collapse for 280-320 off 60 overs rather than 140-180.

Uppercut

Yeah I expected it to be very boom or bust but it’s been unexpectedly consistent. Their lowest score this summer was around 230 I think?

shortpitched713

International Captain
There's no final verdict on this. England drew in home conditions (but looked very impressive at times), while throwing away a massive advantage in the 1st Test through a horrible decision from the captain.

That's about as inconclusive of a result as I can imagine.