• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the World Cup stars

Steulen

International Regular
Rossi, for WC pedigree.
Muller. Will probably have to hand in my Dutch passport for voting for him, but could never back his idiot opponent in this one.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A surprisingly easy win for Paolo Rossi over Zico and Der Bomber edges Gazza out by a couple.

Next up:

Round 2, Battle 13

Ronaldo (Brazil)
World Cups: 4 (1994*, 1998, 2002, 2006)
Apps: 19
Goals: 15
Best: Winner in 1994 & 2002
Noteable for: Being the top goalscorer in 2002 with 8 (including both in the final) & scoring more finals goals than anyone else.
*Unused squad member

V

Gheorghe Hagi (Romania)
World Cups: 3 (1990, 1994, 1998)
Apps: 12
Goals: 3
Best: Quarter-Finalist in 1994
Noteable for: A wonderful 40 yard lob versus Columbia & the third and crucial goal to knock out Argentina in 1994

Round 2, Battle 14

Jurgen Klinsmann (West Germany/Germany)
World Cups: 3 (1990, 1994, 1998)
Apps: 17
Goals: 11
Best: Winner in 1990
Noteable for: The goals that took Germany all the way in 1990 and a tendency to go to ground a wee bit easily.

V

Davor Suker (Croatia/Yugoslavia)
World Cups: 3 (1990*, 1998, 2002)
Apps: 8
Goals: 6
Best: Semi-Finalist in 1998
Noteable for: Being the top goalscorer with 6 in 1998, including the opener in the semi-final defeat to France.
*unused squad member

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heef takes the Arsenal man over Klinsmann...? :-O
I have no hatred in my heart. I'm a :wub:ber not a fighter.

Bit more to being a world cup star than goal poaching - both my votes reflect that, I think. I can't understand how people can vote for Ronaldo over Hagi.

Pothas

I have no hatred in my heart. I'm a :wub:ber not a fighter.

Bit more to being a world cup star than goal poaching - both my votes reflect that, I think. I can't understand how people can vote for Ronaldo over Hagi.
Ronaldo was the most gifted and complete striker of his generation. Let alone the simple fact he has scored more world cup goals than anyone else.

HeathDavisSpeed

Ronaldo was the most gifted and complete striker of his generation. Let alone the simple fact he has scored more world cup goals than anyone else.
Pfft. Any of these 4 would have won the world cup if they'd been in that Brazil squad. Ronaldo's performance in the 1998 Final - which he shouldn't have played in - arguably cost the Brazilians that tournament. He was put in the team at his own request, one which shouldn't have been pandered to. He was also an embarrasment in 2006.

Steulen

International Regular
Ronaldo, another PSV legend and great goalscorer.
Klinsmann, best German striker after Muller.

Very tough on the Carpathian boys though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A comfortable win for the Ronaldo it's ok not to hate and Sean's vote gives The Dive Bomber a one vote win over Fat Dave.

So, to the final two match-ups for the second round. Two famous African-born Francophone goalscorers go head to head and old opponents join battle once more:

Round 2, Battle 15

Just Fontaine (France)
World Cups: 1 (1958)
World Cup Appearances: 6
World Cup Goals: 13
Best: Semi-Finalist in 1958
Noteable for: Freakish scoring in 1958 & setting a record unlikely to ever be beaten for goals in a single tournament.

V

Roger Milla (Cameroon)
World Cups: 3 (1982, 1990, 1994)
Apps: 10
Goals: 5
Best: Quarter-Finalist in 1990.
Noteable for: Being, at 38 in 1990, the world cup's greatest impact sub ever, celebrating each goal with a dance around the corner flag & becoming, at 42 in 1994, its oldest ever goalscorer

Round 2, Battle 16

Bobby Moore (England)
World Cups: 3 (1962, 1966, 1970)
Apps: 14
Goals: 0
Best: Winner in 1966
Noteable for: Being arguably the greatest centre-half of all-time, being the Englishman who held Jules Rimet aloft in 66 & the inch-perfect tackle that stopped his opponent in today's battle in full flight.

V

Jairzinho (Brazil)
World Cups: 3 (1966, 1970, 1974)
Apps: 16
Goals: 9
Best: Winner in 1970
Noteable for: Successfully filling the huge boots left by Garrincha & scoring in every game of Barzil's 1970 victory