• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Legends

Slifer

International Captain
Hmm after thinking about this long and hard my vote goes to the Don. Nothing (i guess) in cricket is more legendry than that 99.94!!!

Fusion

Global Moderator
Probably the final most people expected. I just can't go past The Don. The average, the aura, the dominance. In my book the biggest legend of the game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bradman for me, by a hair's length.

Its extremely tough, and arguments can be made either way, and I was really close to voting Grace, but people who know a lot to a little of cricket and then those that are simply casual fans know of Bradman and his amazing achievements. I can't necessarily say the same of Grace in my own experience (and yes I understand it could just be those that I've met, and friends who are idiots). A mate of mine who knows a hell of a lot about cricket didn't know who Grace was till early 2006 when he saw him in Brian Lara Int'l Cricket. Embarassing to say the least.

pasag

RTDAS
One of the few battles on CW that ended up with a truly fitting final. Bradman for me. Thanks alot to adharcric for doing an excellent job of running this.

archie mac

International Coach
WG

In 1999 legendary writer John Woodcock chose his 100 best cricketers of all time, he chose WG first and Bradman second. There was an out cry in Aust. but I thought it fair enough, although I won't lose any sleep if the Little Fella wins:)

oz_fan

International Regular
Like others have said ask anyone who Don Bradman is and they'll know. On the other hand Grace was one of the major reason why cricket became popular. I'll go with Bradman just.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WG Grace

I do think he is recognisable just by appearance, in this country anyway.

Still no-one can really argue with Bradman, in my mind the best sportsman pound for pound ever. Just think Grace has the bigger legend case. The fact someone before TV and radio existed could be still remembered, is a testament to the myth.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Its impossible to compare players from different era and they impact they had at that time
Fair enough. But this is just a fun little battle where CW members decide who the biggest legend was. To me, this is actually easier to decide than who the best "player" was. You're just judging their legend, not playing abilities. Like you said, comparing "players" from different era is almost impossible. The biggest "legend" should be easier because it's about "recognition" and "impact" which could be measured even across eras.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Grace. In the 1960's, decades after his death and long after The Don's retirement, WG was still known as the "Father of the modern game." He stands head and shoulders above anyone else who has ever played the game and more than likely above anyone who will in the future.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Grace. In the 1960's, decades after his death and long after The Don's retirement, WG was still known as the "Father of the modern game." He stands head and shoulders above anyone else who has ever played the game and more than likely above anyone who will in the future.
Agreed. Grace.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
The biggest "legend" should be easier because it's about "recognition" and "impact" which could be measured even across eras.
interesting to see that Richards came 1 vote close to knock Bradman out, i wonder how Richards would have faired against Grace?