• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Balanced Averages Draft - Voting Thread

Which are the top 3 teams

• Himannv

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Line and Length

• honestbharani

• ankitj

• Michaelf7777777

• trundler

• StephenZA

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teuton

International Captain
Each team needed (150 - Highest 7 batting averages + 5 bowling averages) > 0.
Please vote for the Top 3 teams:

HimannvataraxiaLine and LengthAndrewBhonestbharani
Trevor Goddard /o1) Virender Sehwag /1. Hanif Mohammad (-43)Graham GoochManoj Prabhakar
Vinoo Mankad /o2) WG Grace* / o2. Andrew Strauss (-40)Arthur MorrisFarokh Engineer (wk)
Don Bradman* /3) Peter May /3. Majid Khan (-38)Viv Richards*Denis Compton ©
Rob Key /4) Vijay Hazare / o4. JP Duminy (-32)RanjitsinhjiWally Hammond (vc)
C. B. Fry /5) Allan Border /5. Mike Gatting (-35)David GowerMushtaq Mohammed
Syd Gregory /6) AB de Villiers /6. Garfield Sobers (-57; +34)Clyde WalcottCarl Hooper
Andrew Flintoff o/7) Jock Cameron + /7. Shaun Pollock (-32; +23)Mike ProcterRavindra Jadeja
Bert Oldfield+ /8) Ray Lindwall o /8. Mark Boucher (w/k)Godfrey Evans+Keith Miller
Stuart Macgill o9) Clarrie Grimmett o9. Anil Kumble (+29)Maurice TateTabriaz Shamsi
Michael Holding o10) John Snow o10. Pat Cummins (+21)Abdul QadirJasprit Bumrah
Allan Donald o11) Waqar Younis o11. Joel Garner (+20)Dennis LilleeBruce Reid
ankitjMichaelf7777777TeutontrundlerMagrat Garlick
MJ SlaterJimmy CookLen HuttonGeoff Boycott1. Sunil Gavaskar (51)
RJ Shastri [5]Billy Murdoch (+)Herbie TaylorGraeme Smith*2. Herbert Sutcliffe (60)
SC Ganguly (c)Everton WeekesRicky Ponting cClem Hill3. Rahul Dravid (52)
JH Kallis [6]Steve SmithCharlie MacartneyAubrey Faulkner 64. George Headley (60)
PA de SilvaGraeme PollockKim HughesAndy Flower+5. Virat Kohli (53)
AJ LambLala Amarnath (6)Ian BothamWarwick Armstrong 76. Rohan Kanhai (47)
CL Cairns [3]Bruce Dooland (5)Kapil DevMonty Noble 4+7. Ian Healy (27)
D Tallon (wk)Alan Davidson (2)Jeff DujonJack Gregory 38. Jim Laker (14/21/OB)
AV Bedser [2]Shane Warne (*) (4)Mitchell JohnsonWilfred Rhodes 59. Dale Steyn (13/22/RF)
FS Trueman [1]Neil Wagner (3)Erapalli PrasannaBrian Statham 210. James Anderson (9/26/RFM)
WJ O'Reilly [4]S. F. Barnes (1)Courtney WalshCurtly Ambrose 111. Neil Adcock (5/21/RF)
JOJOXIStephenZAPothasFuller Pilch
Victor Trumper1 Arthur ShrewsburyJack Hobbs1. Gordon Greenidge
Alec Stewart2 Barry RichardsMatthew Hayden2. Bob Simpson co-captain
Ian Chappell (c)3 Hashim AmlaKumar Sangakkara3. Neil Harvey
Martin Crowe4 Sachin TendulkarBrian Lara4. Colin Cowdrey
Frank Worrell (6)5 Zaheer AbbasDudley Nourse5. Michael Bevan
Ben Stokes (5)6 Tom Moody (c)Inzamam-ul-Haq6. Mushfiqur Rahim wk
John Waite (wk)7 Shakib Al HasanAdam Gilchrist7. Imran Khan co-captain
Richie Benaud (4)8 Alan Knott+Richard Hadlee8. Abdul Razzaq
Vernon Philander (1)9 Wasim AkramHedley Verity9. Chaminda Vaas
Harold Larwood (2)10 Malcolm MarshallFrank Tyson10. Andy Roberts
Ian Bishop (3)11 Bishan BediGlenn McGrath11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
This was a unique and interesting draft experience and, after all the efforts by Teuton and all the participants, a vote of thanks is appropriate.
I make the following observations about the final teams.

Himannv: It was a great effort, after selecting Bradman, to balance the budget. He did this successfully but the final line-up has a couple of question marks over it.

ataraxia: I like the pace attack and the batting line-up is well balanced. Grace is a legend of the game but would he survive today?

AndrewB: A strong batting line-up but there are only 4 front-line bowlers.

honesbharani: Has made astute use of all-rounders but the line-up hasn't captured my imagination.

ankitj: A well balanced side with batting more convincing than bowling. A possible contender.

Michaelf7777777: The opening pair are a concern. Solid middle-order and good attack but Murdoch only made 3 dismissals as a 'keeper and I would query Warne captaining ahead of Smith.

Teuton: A strong batting line-up but too many of the bowlers had averages > 25 meaning the attack is solid without being outstanding.

Trundler: The middle order is full of all-rounders. This makes me question the balance of the team. The pace attack seems to fall away after the opening pair.

Magrat Garlick: An impressive batting line-up but only 4 front-line bowlers and a bit of a tail are concerns.

JOJOXI: A well balanced side with no obvious weakness. A real contender.

StephenZA: With only 2 genuine quicks in the side and having Moody as both first change and captain there are question marks. Two good spinners offer some consolation.

Pothas: A clever strategy yielded a potent batting line-up. Only 4 front-line bowlers always concerns me. What if one became injured?

Fuller Pilch: A traditional line-up with no obvious flaws other than the question mark over Bevan in Tests.

ataraxia

International Coach
Grace is a legend of the game but would he survive today?
FTR I think it's fine to not pick Grace and 19th century bowlers (that's what I normally do) but I don't view drafts as being simply "who is the best". If that were the case, former greats of the game such as Hammond, Sutcliffe, and the three Ws wouldn't get selected because modern-day players are much better. Modern players would especially dominate in the field compared to players of a bygone era.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
FTR I think it's fine to not pick Grace and 19th century bowlers (that's what I normally do) but I don't view drafts as being simply "who is the best". If that were the case, former greats of the game such as Hammond, Sutcliffe, and the three Ws wouldn't get selected because modern-day players are much better. Modern players would especially dominate in the field compared to players of a bygone era.
True .... and you got my vote.

Himannv

International Coach
Pothas and Mags were the obvious picks of course, but I'm surprised how well ataraxia has done. Brilliant drafting and obviously he had a very good plan there.

Himannv

International Coach
The way we look at it in a football forum I'm on is that we take the natural talent of the player and consider how they will perform if they get the same nutrition, training, and access to technology, etc. that modern players get. Stats are obviously a good indicator as well in terms of deciding how a player might perform.

ataraxia

International Coach
It's a great feeling to win a draft, especially to do it via an odd method and highlighting a nice little ATVG player in Hazare.

All teams drafted in an unorthodox way (which is a compliment to both the ruleset and the participants). I love the Goddard/Mankad opening partnership from @Himannv in particular, having drafted one in a different draft. @trundler drafting 5 personal all-rounder favourites of mine who all played in the same period was also great.

Kudos is due to @Teuton for running it and @Pothas and @Magrat Garlick running me close with practically identical strategies. Very fun draft.

Teuton

International Captain
Congratulations to @ataraxia, Rarely is a draft won in the last round but I think you could say that you did here.

thanks to everyone for taking part. Even though i didn't think thrugh all the ways that the constraints could be met, i was happy to see the variety of tactics used.

I actually thought Chris Harris might have been picked, perhaps to even out with Bradman, but he misses out once again.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't vote for this, but I was quite impressed with the side @Pothas got. Picking Hobbs as one of the 5 "bowlers" was genius. Look at that lineup full of ATGs. Hobbs, Sanga, Lara, Gilly, Hadlee, McGrath. It's ridiculous.