• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Balanced Averages Budget draft

Teuton

International Captain
In this draft, everyone starts a budget of 150, which reduces by the Test batting average for each of your top 7*, but increases by the bowling average for each of your 5 best bowlers*. You must finish the draft with a balance of 0 or above.

Anyone with a test average is eligible, all averages will be truncated to whole runs.

*determined by batting average & WPM respectively.

Post if you want in.

Teuton

International Captain
I tried to keep the rules simple but it is probably best illustrated with an example

Everyone will have a balance after each pick

for example with random players:

say my 1st pick is AB de Villiers (bat avg 50), then my balance = 150 - 50 = 100
if my 2nd pick is Michael Slater my balance reduces again by 42 to 58
my 3rd pick is Graeme Swann whose bowling ave is 30 which increases the balance to 58 + 29 to 87

That's the best way of thinking about it, though it is really only the balance after R11 that counts (ie you can pick all batsmen first and go into debt so long as the bowlers you pick later get to a non-negative balance by R11.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
In please, when you say determined by batting average and WPM does that mean our 7 highest averaging batsman have to be our top 7 or could I have my 4th highest averaging batsman at number 8 at voting stage but for purpose of calculations they are top 7.

Also I'm presuming by your examples that we are sticking to whole numbers so Slater's 42.83 or someone averaging 42.99 counts the same as someone averaging 42.00?

Teuton

International Captain
Both the batting and bowling averages will count for all-rounders if they fall into the top 7 bats/top 5 bowlers. So if you pick multiple allrounders it is possible that there will be a player not in top 7 bats or top 5 - Wasim Bari I am looking in your direction - but that doesn't really change anything.

Additionally it may be ambiguous if a player is going to be in the top 7/top 5 but again it doesn't really matter as the running balance is not actually used for anything. But i will keep a best guess record so we all know we are at.

Teuton

International Captain
In please, when you say determined by batting average and WPM does that mean our 7 highest averaging batsman have to be our top 7 or could I have my 4th highest averaging batsman at number 8 at voting stage but for purpose of calculations they are top 7.

Also I'm presuming by your examples that we are sticking to whole numbers so Slater's 42.83 or someone averaging 42.99 counts the same as someone averaging 42.00?
1. The top 7 dont have to bat there, its just for the calculations as you suggested.
2. Yes, averages are truncated to whole numbers as decimal points serve no real purpose here.

Teuton

International Captain
I thought it would be simpler to ignore averages of their secondary skills (bowling averages of batsmen are too variable and meaningless)

Teuton

International Captain
and i think the rules as they are allow a number of different tactics (ie do you go for great bats but have to balance out with bad bowlers, or keep it even across both)