• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's squad

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Maxwell instead of Doherty? That's what I'm leaning towards.
Yeah, basically. Faulkner then ends up selected as the fourth best OD seamer in the squad rather than the best seam bowling allrounder in the squad. I think he's both really.

I think Mitch Marsh will end up playing if Doherty does though, and I think that'd be a small mistake.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that's right. Save Harris for the all important Asheszzzzzzzz. It's not like these teams seem to play an Ashes series every 3 months anyway as part of their big three carve-up. Would be hilarious if Harris got injured while playing in a meaningless Shield Game during the World Cup and missed the Ashes series that they are "saving him" for.
Should save him for a more meaningful SL-India ODI series

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Should save him for a more meaningful SL-India ODI series
Heh. I can't actually decide if it's funnier if Harris injures himself playing shield cricket instead of the World Cup, or if he the lasts all the way upto to "the all important, greatest competition ever!" Ashes only to get injured for good in his very first over and leave Australia to rely on the likes of trundlers like Peter Siddle.

Australia must be really desperate to win in England for the first time in nearly fifteen years. Even terrible travelers like India and Sri Lanka have won there in that time. Used to be that downgrading the World Cup in order to concentrate all energy into the Asheszzzz:yawn: was something the English used to do. Sad to see Australia go down that route. I suspect, that just like England, Australia will ultimately fail in both the World Cup and the Ashes. Not to worry of course, as there will probably be four more Ashes series by the time the next World Cup rolls around. Surely, Australia will be able to nick at least one series in that time.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Not many things scummier than hoping/laughing at someone getting injured, surely.
Get the fainting couches! It wasn't like I said I hope he breaks his leg or anything. Harris is always injured; He's carrying injuries whenever he plays. I was pointing out that attempts to "save him" for the Ashes by not playing him for the World Cup are misguided and likely to backfire, considering that he is just one more injury from the end of his career anyway (Not so much in so many words anyway, but that was the gist). But sure, get on your high dudgeon and pretend I was evilly cackling at the thought of him spontaneously combusting.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Would go this if Clarke is fit.

1. Finch
2. Watson
3. Smith
4. Clarke
5. Bailey
6. Maxwell
7. Faulkner
8. Haddin
9. Johnson
10. Starc
11. Cummins/Hazelwood

I've legit haven't really seen Cummins bowl for over two years, but others seem to want him in, so meh. Warner can obviously come in for Clarke if he doesn't make it, but I don't think he's a better ODI batsman than any of that top five if they're all fit and firing.

howardj

International Coach
Would go this if Clarke is fit.

1. Finch
2. Watson
3. Smith
4. Clarke
5. Bailey
6. Maxwell
7. Faulkner
8. Haddin
9. Johnson
10. Starc
11. Cummins/Hazelwood

I've legit haven't really seen Cummins bowl for over two years, but others seem to want him in, so meh. Warner can obviously come in for Clarke if he doesn't make it, but I don't think he's a better ODI batsman than any of that top five if they're all fit and firing.
That's a good point that if Clarke is fit, then perhaps the heat comes on Warner rather than Smith or Bailey

Warner's had limited impact in ODIs to date

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Warner will play every game imo.

Warner
Finch
Watson
Smith
Bailey/Clarke
Maxwell
Faulkner
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Cummins

Very strong I reckon. Good inner fielding with Smith, Warner, Maxwell.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I just can't see the justification of having Warner over Bailey other than potentially thinking that Warner excels much more in Australia and NZ and is in great form. Bailey has just been much better since he's come in and it allows Watson to open. They'll both play in the tri-series mind, so I guess we'll get a better idea after that.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Finch is going like a busted atm. Could see him making way for Watson & Warner at the top if he has a poor tri series.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I said before the squad was announced that Finch wouldn't make my starting XI.

1 Warner 2 Watson 3 Smith 4 Clarke 5 Bailey 6 Faulkner 7 Maxwell 8 Haddin 9 Johnson 10 Starc 11 Hazlewood is the XI I would like to see at this stage.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Finch is going like a busted atm. Could see him making way for Watson & Warner at the top if he has a poor tri series.
it'll be comparative to bailey and smiths form though because that's the issue atm that both command a spot

dermo

expect finch to either nick off or get caught at mid off for **** all in all games in the tri series bar the one where he tons up and secures his spot

dermo

tbf to finch he did actually have a really good 2014, would be tough to drop him

kenneje

Cricket Spectator
I posted this in another forum, but this is the 11 I've settled on in my head;

-------------
1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Watson
4. Smith
-------------

Top 4 picks itself. Any one of them is a match winner.

-------------
5. Bailey
6. Maxwell
7. Faulkner
8. Haddin
-------------

I can't see Clarke getting fit in time, so Bailey has to play.
I'd rather Clarke and Harris honeymooned and relaxed on a beach until the ashes.
I've played no designated spinner as you can see below, so have squeezed BOTH Maxwell and Faulkner in.

-------------
9. Johnson
10. Starc
11. Hazlewood
-------------

Johnson and Starc are obvious. Arguably the best bowler in the world, and arguably the best white ball bowler in the world.

Hazlewood v Cummins v Doherty; We don't need another strike bowler that could go for 10 an over so I ruled Cummins out.
Then it comes down to who is going to keep their economy the lowest of Hazlewood and Doherty, and I've opted for Josh. He had a fantastic test series and is on the way to world domination.

10 from Johnson. 10 from Starc. 10 from Hazlewood. 20 shared between Faulkner, Watson, Maxwell and Smith.