• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's squad

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So if Clarke is fit, how would our best top 6 look? Do we even play Watson?

Finch
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Bailey
Maxwell/Marsh
The problem with this top 6 is that batting is only half the game. I'm not confident with 10 overs minimum from that 6.

nevermind

U19 Debutant
The problem with this top 6 is that batting is only half the game. I'm not confident with 10 overs minimum from that 6.
Yeah quite right, I ended up just changing my post to an eleven, there's certainly a few combinations

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Finch
Warner
Watson
Smith
Bailey
Maxwell
Haddin
Faulkner
Johnson
Starc
Cummins

What could possably go wrong

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Disappointed with Harris' non selection.

Quite literally could be the difference between winning and losing. Not like he even has to play most games, just the ones that matter.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, this.

And the reason for Doherty over Boyce/Zampa/Agar/Lyon is pretty simple -- ODI experience. You don't debut guys in a World Cup FFS.
Lyon isn't a debutant, he's supposed to be our no1 spinner and we still pick Xavier "I sure love pies" Doherty over him.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Don't mind Lyon being kept for 5 day cricket.

Reckon Maxwell and Watson are gonna share 5th bowler duties behind 4 quicks most of the time anyway.

I rate Doherty as a short form spinner.

Midwinter

State Captain
Disappointed with Harris' non selection.

Quite literally could be the difference between winning and losing. Not like he even has to play most games, just the ones that matter.
Harris wasn't selected because of the bowling.
It is the fielding.
The intensity required could result in injuries that would put him out of the Ashes.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The more I think about it the crazier I think it is. People keep talking about the Ashes, but I'd be amazed if he doesn't play at least one FC game before the tour, either in the Shield or more likely in the West Indies. At which point, you're effectively saying those two series/tournaments are more important than the world cup, because he only has to bowl a maximum of 30 overs in the WC to have a huge impact on it.

And they're happy to pick Clarke. Who has proved similarly injury prone in the last year or so and is actually in a less fit state currently than Harris.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
maybe they're planning to kneecap a bowler halfway through the WC and Harris will come in

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Harris wasn't selected because of the bowling.
It is the fielding.
The intensity required could result in injuries that would put him out of the Ashes.
For a player with a history of knee injuries, I would have thought that the injury risk of fielding is negligible compared to bowling.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Eh, still, with hazlewood and cummins in there you can guarantee a 50% chance of them breaking down. Could be a chance for Ryno to come in.

Midwinter

State Captain
For a player with a history of knee injuries, I would have thought that the injury risk of fielding is negligible compared to bowling.
Can you imagine Harris running flat out at fine leg and then sliding to save a ball from going across the boundary, then having to do it once every couple of overs.
Limited overs cricket is a young mans game.

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
The more I think about it the crazier I think it is. People keep talking about the Ashes, but I'd be amazed if he doesn't play at least one FC game before the tour, either in the Shield or more likely in the West Indies. At which point, you're effectively saying those two series/tournaments are more important than the world cup, because he only has to bowl a maximum of 30 overs in the WC to have a huge impact on it.

And they're happy to pick Clarke. Who has proved similarly injury prone in the last year or so and is actually in a less fit state currently than Harris.
And while it is lovely to know that Australian fans and selectors hold the Ashes in such high regard, surely winning the World Cup is nearly as important. The Ashes and winning a World Cup on home soil seem like the two pinnacles for any Australian/English cricket side.

If I was an Australian selector I'd happily select Harris and Lyon if I thought it gave me a better chance of winning the World Cup; concerns of Harris injuring wearing himself down or Lyon taking a while to regain his form in long-form cricket seems like a small price to pay.

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Can you imagine Harris running flat out at fine leg and then sliding to save a ball from going across the boundary, then having to do it once every couple of overs.
Limited overs cricket is a young mans game.
I don't have to imagine him doing it. I watched him do it multiple times this summer including in the dead rubber in Sydney. He's being fielding quite athletically and nobody seems to have had an issue with it up until this point.

Just from a bio-mechanical point of view, I think that your delivery stride and follow through places far more strain on an athletes knees than running and occasionally sliding. If the selector's are concerned about the injury toll on Harris, I'm fairly confident that it would have to do with him bowling too much rather than fielding too much.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I think Clarke is probably less important to the ODI side than Harris too, given it looks like Smith or Bailey will miss out from the starting eleven now.