• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's squad

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Yeah that's right. Save Harris for the all important Asheszzzzzzzz. It's not like these teams seem to play an Ashes series every 3 months anyway as part of their big three carve-up. Would be hilarious if Harris got injured while playing in a meaningless Shield Game during the World Cup and missed the Ashes series that they are "saving him" for.

santhosh683

Cricket Spectator
Always Australia team got great potential to win and every world cup match Australia team has a strong team. Now, We hope Australia team will be win for the match. India team has less an low pontential team to win. So, it wont get so much opportunity to win.

Happy Australia.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Yeah Harris not being included a poor decision. Awesome ODI bowler, and as far as fitness is concerned he only needs to play the major games and can be rested against the minnows.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Based on his recent fitness record Clarke passing a fitness test won't mean much. Will anyone be surprised if he blows a hammy or his back seizes up in a big game? They can rest him till deep in the tournament but then he's coming in cold and if the batting is clicking without him it gets awkward.

dermo

doherty over lyon was the right call imo,if we win this world cup it'll be on the strength of our batting and new ball bowling, not our spinner taking a bag in the middle overs. the only time we'll look at playing a spinner is on an obviously slow wicket and tbh doherty is good at exploiting that sort of pitch and making scoring difficult.

doherty will be lucky to play more than a game or two anyway, unless maxwell has a shocking start to the tournament and they want mmarsh in

howardj

International Coach
Strongest XI

Finch
Warner
Watson
Smith
Bailey
Faulkner
Haddin
Johnson
Cummins
Starc
Doherty

Don't think Clarke will make it

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Lyon isn't a debutant, he's supposed to be our no1 spinner and we still pick Xavier "I sure love pies" Doherty over him.
My philosophy is that unless they're something really special, or a depth player where you rarely require depth, everyone you pick for the World Cup should have a minimum of 15 ODIs behind them, preferably with a decent number in the last 18 months or so. You plan for this tournament; it isn't another bilateral series where you debut guys based on domestic form to see if they're any good, or pick comparatively untested options because they might be better. Lyon's 8 ODIs is hardly enough to say he's experienced at ODI level, and with 57 behind Doherty the selectors know what they're going to get.

Warner -- 50
Finch -- 36
Watson -- 178
Smith -- 45
Bailey -- 52
Maxwell -- 36
Haddin -- 113
Faulkner -- 33
Johnson -- 144
Starc -- 28
Doherty -- 57

Clarke -- 238
Marsh -- 12
Cummins -- 7
Hazlewood -- 6

I think Cummins, Hazlewood and Marsh are all going in underdone at ODI level, but that's to be expected with how many bloody injuries they pick up.

dermo

also spikey how keen are you to hear james brayshaw hype up the importance of faulkners batting to the side when he's listed to come in at 8

Antihippy

International Debutant
Faulkner has actually been really good at building an innings.

He's been compared to maxwell which is just bizaare. As much as I like maxwell, faulkner is the man if you want to rebuild. Maxwell is the man if you want someone to go HAM on the bowling.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That side howard posted just feels a batsman light to me, for some reason.
It's because Faulkner is at six and he's spent most of his career batting eight. It definitely feels light to have him at six but given how Watson has bowled in ODIs since changing his bowling style, Australia are either going to 'feel' a batsman light or actually be a a bowler light. I favour going with four quicks (of which I think Faulkner would be one, actually) and Maxwell over the balance howardj posted, but that's a bowler light as well really IMO.