• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Which is a recent rule, not applicable to Border's 1987 WC- (though O'Donnell was born in NSW) or 1989 Ashes-winning sides.

Or is that why Dean Jones was dropped?
Border was such a good captain he could successfully violate the Victorians rule and still win. Not violating the rule obviously helped but he was good enough to win even with two or three Victorians.

aussie tragic

International Captain
With Warner likely to be out of the first Test, the top 4 could be Burns, Pucovski, Labuschagne and Smith.

It's been stated that the last right hand opening combo was over 20 years ago,(Slater and Blewett) however as Langer was number 3 then, when was the last time the Aussie top 4 were all right handed?

Maybe in the 70's?

Edit: might be this one in Jan 80 when Mckosker, Wiener, I. Chappell, G Chappell and Kim Hughes were top 5

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would there be any Tests where the Top 4 was Slater, Blewett, Ponting and Mark Waugh?

morgieb

Ponting was batting 6 when Slater and Blewett were opening. Langer was the #3
Yeah turns out Blewett never opened at Test level until after Taylor retired. Which kind of surprised me.

I though there'd be a chance of it happening in Tests where Border batted 5, but Graeme Wood ruins it.

morgieb

Answer might be this Test, though Waugh might've been the nightwatchman?

EDIT: He batted 7 in the first Test (and the second innings) so I wouldn't count it.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Yeah Steve Waugh was nightwatchman. I found one where Ray Bright batted 4 as nightwatchman also (pushing Border to 5)

aussie tragic

International Captain
7 of the Test squad should get a hit tomorrow for Australia A. Likely team:

1. Burns
2. Pucovski
3. Harris
4. Maddinson
5. Head (c)
6. Green
7. Paine (+)
8. Neser
9. Pattinson

Bird/Steketee/Conway/Sutherland (pick 2)

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
7 of the Test squad should get a hit tomorrow for Australia A. Likely team:

1. Burns
2. Pucovski
3. Harris
4. Maddinson
5. Head (c)
6. Green
7. Paine (+)
8. Neser
9. Pattinson

Bird/Steketee/Conway/Sutherland (pick 2)
Why isn't marnus in the A squad? He's no chance of playing the t20I's and some test warm-up can't hurt.

aussie tragic

International Captain
So who guessed the following would be the first Test line-up

1. Burns
2. Harris
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Wade
6. Head
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Questions:
(1) surely at least one more batsman has to be named in the squad as all other batsmen named are injured. Tip who ever else named replaces Burns (hoping for Khawaja rather than Smarsh).

(2) Has Starc actually been confirmed to play after his compassionate leave? If not tip Neser over Pattinson

Edit: Starc confirmed to join the squad in Adelaide on Monday night.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is just so crazy. India must have some subcontious voodoo on Australia leading into a tour. If something happens to Smith this team will be more puke than last time

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
This is just so crazy. India must have some subcontious voodoo on Australia leading into a tour. If something happens to Smith this team will be more puke than last time
Nah even without smith marnus makes this team 10x better than the dogturd batting lineup we had last time they toured, wade is also way better than any of the guys we fielded last time aside from uzzie who was useless all series.

Shady Slim

International Coach
pleasepleasepleaseplease do not play marcus harris,don't do it. loser's game either way because he either sucks and gets binned or makes runs on roads against a horrid bowling attack and then averages 4.8 next time we leave the country ffs

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly I can't believe they're still talking about Shaun Marsh potentially getting a call up but not Khawaja. Langer must really hate him. Khawaja would fit in perfectly as an opener so we don't have to play one of Harris or Burns.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Marsh
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green/Wade

I'd have no issue with SMarsh coming in as a short term replacement. He makes runs against class bowling and he's made tons of FC runs since losing his test spot. Khawaja is clearly an option also, a proven player against good pace.

This obviously isn't ideal, but it's what I'd do until Warner and Pukovski are fit.

I don't want to see anything funky like Labu opening.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Burns selection can only be guilt over the number of times he has been hard done by selectors in the past.

When has an Australian batsman ever scored less FC runs than Burns' 61 runs @ 7.63 (with 3 ducks)