• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolute myth. He's been given the easiest run of any Australian batsman in recent history, including Voges.

You want someone hard done by selectors look no further than Glenn Maxwell. Not given a single home Test.
How did I know you would pick a Victorian.

aussie tragic

International Captain
This just keeps looking worse.

Burns has averaged 22.71 in his last 4 Tests (29.94 in last 10) to go with his 62 FC runs @ 6.89 this summer. Seriously thinking he's got dirt on Langer and Hohns if he's picked.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let's not go back to Marsh. Proven failure at age 37. Remember when Ponting was out of his depth at test level but went back to the shield and averaged 100. That's what Marsh has done except he wasn't in Ponting's class when he was good. #JusticeForUsman

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Junior has suggested that if Green is cleared to play, Tim Paine should open (with Green at 7).

I'm actually totally on board with this if it's just for one Test. The triple role of keeping, opening and captaining would be too much to handle for a whole series or even back to back Tests at all IMO, but I think it's fine for a one-off given he's both very fit and realistically not likely to make game-changing contributions at #7 anyway. I also think his technique is well-suited to it, at least to the extent that I don't think he'll score less runs than he does batting down the order. When he was "one ton Paine" for over a decade, that one ton was in fact as opener.

If they're confident Warner and/or Pucovski will be available for the second Test (and I'm... not, really) then I think it's probably the best option. If he's going to have to do it for longer than a Test I'd look elsewhere though.

It still leaves the matter of the second opener, even if he does open. If Harris can replicate what he did the last time India toured (was actually Australia's highest run scorer, averaged 37, got regular starts and protected the middle order) I think we'd all take it. I think he's probably a worse bat than that output though, so it's a tough one. Usman would be ideal but it's not gonna happen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
i don't think mark waugh is using your reasoning tho
It's rare for anyone to use my reasoning for anything tbf; I make alliances where I have to. ;)

But seriously he actually kind of was using my reasoning in terms of his technique being suited to it and Green/Wade both being more likely to add runs at 6/7 than whichever other opener was selected. Unlike me I don't think he cared about how long he was going to do it for, but aside from that I don't think our ideas were very far apart.

Flem274*

123/5
id have preferred maxwell to get a test career over wade. maxwell is fun, good at cricket, can call him the no show when he gets out etc.

wade provides **** chat and the bare minimum required to get picked to fail more.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's obvious insane that maxwell never played a home test.

fun thought experiment: what if after his innings against Pakistan to help save the test, Usman had simply stayed as opener. means no Arun Finch at top, Maxwell probably gets some home tests and a chance to score runs, etc etc,

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

fun thought experiment: what if after his innings against Pakistan to help save the test, Usman had simply stayed as opener. means no Arun Finch at top, Maxwell probably gets some home tests and a chance to score runs, etc etc,
Does Michael Bevan average 48 in this timeline or what

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

This is definitely the best timeline.