• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

emery in this piece argues that had the Pakistan tour where Bevan scored runs been broadcast into Australia, his career would have been different. I'm not sure I buy that, but to me, like Maxwell not getting a home test, Bevan's test career being over at 27 is absolutely nuts. Everyone else in that generation of australian batsmen who got games in their early 20s and basically failed to secure a place, got another chance down the track, except for Bevan (and I guess Law). Truly nuts

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

emery in this piece argues that had the Pakistan tour where Bevan scored runs been broadcast into Australia, his career would have been different. I'm not sure I buy that, but to me, like Maxwell not getting a home test, Bevan's test career being over at 27 is absolutely nuts. Everyone else in that generation of australian batsmen who got games in their early 20s and basically failed to secure a place, got another chances down the track, except for Bevan (and I guess Law). Truly nuts
I absolutely agree that Bevan would've been a Test success with even slightly different circumstances. But it's not like they were ignoring him while cycling through failures; the blokes they picked in his place earned their call-ups and did really well.

I find it hard to actually criticise his non-selection much even though I think he could've averaged 50 in Test cricket and very likely would've averaged at least 45. This feels like a really weird position, probably because it is, but I stand by it.

You could definitely argue that he should've got a recall instead of Lehmann or Mark Waugh or Blewett etc at various points but I don't think the selection itself was disastrous. You just can't afford to be unlucky when the competition is so good.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Even though I'm not a Khawaja fan, surely a guy with an average of 40+ in test cricket (who I think averages something like 50 as an opener) has to come in just for some top order stability.

Although he's probably not doing himself many favours at the moment by criticising the Aust coaching set-up and saying it needs to be more diverse because it'd suit him better.

TheJediBrah

I absolutely agree that Bevan would've been a Test success with even slightly different circumstances. But it's not like they were ignoring him while cycling through failures; the blokes they picked in his place earned their call-ups and did really well.

I find it hard to actually criticise his non-selection much even though I think he could've averaged 50 in Test cricket and very likely would've averaged at least 45. This feels like a really weird position, probably because it is, but I stand by it.

You could definitely argue that he should've got a recall instead of Lehmann or Mark Waugh or Blewett etc at various points but I don't think the selection itself was disastrous. You just can't afford to be unlucky when the competition is so good.
Yeah mostly all this. It's not like Rob Quiney was being selected ahead of Bevan. Everyone who was given a run instead was just about as deserving.

I do think to some extent Bevan's cards were marked though, because there were quite a few occasions where he was overlooked for players of a similar or even probably slightly lower standard. Blewett and Lehmann as you mentioned, Mark Waugh for a while. Also when Love and Symonds were brought in Bevan would also have been a good option.

morgieb

Weird question admittedly but I wonder how close Bevan was to being the best batsman in the world via Cribb's rankings in the early 2000's (when he was averaging 80+ in Shield cricket and retained an excellent ODI record).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blewett was an excellent shield bat so it was also surprising he could never step up. Bevan was just unlucky with his timing. Almost certainly would have averaged 50+ of given a run later on. I mean can you imagine if he got the same chances as Steve Waugh got? But it didn't happen and remains one of the greatest "what if" scenarios of the modem era.

stephen

But honestly, it's pretty hard to drop someone from a lineup like this:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Waugh/Clarke
Lehmann/Katich
Gilchrist+

You're looking at possibly the only top 7 in history that all averaged 40+ over their careers (with Ponting, Hayden and Waugh averaging 50+). Not much room in there for trying new players.

ataraxia

International Coach

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Waugh/Clarke
Lehmann/Katich
Gilchrist+

You're looking at possibly the only top 7 in history that all averaged 40+ over their careers (with Ponting, Hayden and Waugh averaging 50+). Not much room in there for trying new players.
Hussey too.

Jarquis

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Waugh/Clarke
Lehmann/Katich
Gilchrist+

There’s been at least one other more recently than that one tbh

stephen

Legitimate batting lineup of guys who were test quality but couldn't crack the side:

Matthew Elliott
Chris Rogers
Martin Love
Michael Bevan
Stuart Law
Michael di Venuto

ataraxia

International Coach
I excluded him because his time came when Bevan really couldn't push to be included due to age, but yes, as I said, ridiculous.
Clarke debuted in tests after Bevan played his last international as well FTR, but fair call.

On the top 7 40+, 1938 England qualifies.

TheJediBrah

Martyn was the alternate timeline Bevan. Was recalled in 2000 and got a solid career in, which could easily have been Bevan instead