• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

aussie tragic

International Captain
What's Langer doing talking up Siddle and Mitch Marsh for the boxing day test. I thought we finally moved on from these two.

Hope Bailey and Hohns have other ideas and play Pattinson or Neser from the original squad.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Really the only reason to consider Siddle is that he can bowl long containing spells which is what Hazelwood missing out deprives us of. And it's likely to be hot, and a flat pitch. And if Siddle breaks mid test, oh well.

Can see the rationale in bringing him in, but you'd be livid if you were Neser, Patto or Richardson.

Red

And if we're going down the Mitch Marsh path just for extra bowling, I'd much rather see Abbott or Henriques at 6.

Red

All that said, I'd prefer us to just pick the 6 best bats, a keeper, and the 4 best bowlers.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Langer just said during tea break that they may play 4 quicks and a spinner at MCG if pitch warrants it, so may be

1. Warner
2. Burns
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Wade/Head
6. Paine
7. Neser
8. Pattinson
9. Cummins
10. Starc
11. Lyon

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely Head must be done now. That shot last night was diabolical. He's never going to be a Test batsman. Rather go in with 10 players.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Why would Oz want to play an extra bowler? Just limits their batting which struggled at times this match. Would they seriously want Paine batting at 6 considering how his form's been this year?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why would Oz want to play an extra bowler? Just limits their batting which struggled at times this match. Would they seriously want Paine batting at 6 considering how his form's been this year?
I'd probably only consider it if we get a 2017-esque MCG pitch. Which is quite possible IMO.

Bowling New Zealand out twice so cheaply though helps the workload of Cummins and Starc, though.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How far has Bird fallen down the pecking order? Geez the bloke has been topping the wickets charts in the shield for the last few seasons and can't even make the 2nd XI on here. And I don't necessarily disagree with that either.

Cummins
Hazlewood
Starc
Pattinson
Richardson
Neser
Bird

is probably the pecking order now. Not sure where this rot about Siddle comes from but there's no way he should play at the MCG.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I don't understand why people keep saying Richardson is ahead of Neser. Their FC records this year are Jhye 12 wkts @ 27, while Neser has 23 wkts @ 18.

More importantly Neser has been in the test squad for the last 8 tests while Richardson has not. Given Hazelwood's injury this test I'd be reluctant to use Pattinson without an allrounder to cover for him in case of injury. So predicting Neser debut boxing day (please no Siddle)

wrongun

Banned
I don't understand why people keep saying Richardson is ahead of Neser. Their FC records this year are Jhye 12 wkts @ 27, while Neser has 23 wkts @ 18.

More importantly Neser has been in the test squad for the last 8 tests while Richardson has not. Given Hazelwood's injury this test I'd be reluctant to use Pattinson without an allrounder to cover for him in case of injury. So predicting Neser debut boxing day (please no Siddle)
I hope Siddle isn't picked but it seems like it :( unless JL is trying to use smoke and mirrors for the Kiwis. Doubt it though :( Patto should be in the squad. Even Neser would do.

Red

Surely Head must be done now. That shot last night was diabolical. He's never going to be a Test batsman. Rather go in with 10 players.
He made a 50 first innings. I'm not a fan, but he's doing ok. If he'd kicked on a few of his starts it'd be a different story.

I think once either one of Patterson or Pukovski are right to go and earn the spot, they'll come in. But at the moment he's the best option.

Red

Langer just said during tea break that they may play 4 quicks and a spinner at MCG if pitch warrants it, so may be

1. Warner
2. Burns
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Wade/Head
6. Paine
7. Neser
8. Pattinson
9. Cummins
10. Starc
11. Lyon
I'm not opposed to this, too much. Especially seeing as Neser, Patto, Cummins and Starc could all lay claim to being a #8 bat.

Just don't wanna see Cummins and Starc (Cummins esp) overbowled and broken.

Flem274*

123/5
do you really need 5 bowlers given the batting effort of nz? if anything you want to protect against our bowling and ensure some batting depth.

i'd play patto. nz see siddle-like bowlers in the plunket shield all the time, and while he's fit he's not the answer to wagnerball which i suspect is langer's reasoning. pattinson might not be what he was but there are no 145kph outswing bowlers in the plunket shield. ferguson, milne, bennett etc prefer to hit the deck hard and swing it in.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
He made a 50 first innings. I'm not a fan, but he's doing ok. If he'd kicked on a few of his starts it'd be a different story.

I think once either one of Patterson or Pukovski are right to go and earn the spot, they'll come in. But at the moment he's the best option.
I like Patterson, but he has exactly same problem as Head in terms of having a pretty terrible conversion rate. A lot of people seem to be forgetting this

ataraxia

International Coach
I'm not opposed to this, too much. Especially seeing as Neser, Patto, Cummins and Starc could all lay claim to being a #8 bat.

Just don't wanna see Cummins and Starc (Cummins esp) overbowled and broken.
Too English. No. 8s from 5 down to 11.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like Patterson, but he has exactly same problem as Head in terms of having a pretty terrible conversion rate. A lot of people seem to be forgetting this
Yeah but he has a better technique so id's probably better suited to tests.

Having said that, I'd be replacing Wade, not Head.