• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

the big bambino

International Captain
I agree with Flem. Playing 5 bowlers weakens the batting too much. Starc and Cummins got away with a relatively light workload when you account for the circumstances of hot weather and a bowler short in Perth. So I think they'll be ok with the long turnaround in games. I'd risk Pattinson. He's the best paceman outside the test team. If we really needed extra overs from part timers to spread the workload we've got a potential 20 overs a day from Marnus, Head, Wade and Smith.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but he has a better technique so id's probably better suited to tests.

Having said that, I'd be replacing Wade, not Head.
Yeah, he is more aesthetically pleasing as a batsman, technically looks more convincing, but those saying he is clearly better than Head are wide of the mark. I rate them both higher than Wade though, who frankly will never be any more consistent than he is now

Pucovski is in a different boat entirely. He has the potential to be better than any of them but still has quite a way to go yet, no need to rush him in

No need for change for the sake of change anyway

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Playing Paine at 6 would be so stupid
Absolutely. The 4 quicks + Lyon idea might work if Australia had a keeper who batted far better, but with Paine it just leaves the batting lineup worryingly short.

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Wade
Head
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

No need to get funky and innovative just for the sake of it

Jukesy

Cricket Spectator
Absolutely. The 4 quicks + Lyon idea might work if Australia had a keeper who batted far better, but with Paine it just leaves the batting lineup worryingly short.

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Wade
Head
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

No need to get funky and innovative just for the sake of it
I agree with this. Wade, Head and Labuschange can give you 15 overs between them. Also it's not going to 45 plus degree heat in Melbourne so the quicks will recover quicker in between overs.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
You gotta give langer some credit for the improvement made in areas but he needs to be kept away from selection

Shady Slim

International Coach
given they didn’t go neser in adelaide i’d be inclined to say they won’t go for neser here... even though i’ve never been that high on patto he’s probably who it’s going to be come BD, and i am desperately hoping they don’t fall for the meme and play two spinners at the scg and they bring haze as a straight swap on for patto

aussie tragic

International Captain
Australia now have 6 players in the top 7 of ICC rankings, which must be the most for quite a while?

Batting:
2. Smith
5. Labuschagne
7. Warner

Bowling:
1. Cummins
5. Starc
7. Hazlewood

Note: Lyon (19) is 3rd best spinner after Ashwin (11) and Jadeja (16)

Allrounder:
5. Starc
7. Cummins

So our only problem is the 3 batting spots with Head (32), Burns (58) and Wade (67).

Note: even Paine (65) is ahead of Wade.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
bored so naming an aussie side of the decade

warner
rogers
labuschagne
smith
clarke
voges
haddin
johnson
cummins
harris
lyon

for a team who have had their batting woes, it's ominous. i didn't even need hussey.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia now have 6 players in the top 7 of ICC rankings, which must be the most for quite a while?

Batting:
2. Smith
5. Labuschagne
7. Warner

Bowling:
1. Cummins
5. Starc
7. Hazlewood

Note: Lyon (19) is 3rd best spinner after Ashwin (11) and Jadeja (16)

Allrounder:
5. Starc
7. Cummins

So our only problem is the 3 batting spots with Head (32), Burns (58) and Wade (67).

Note: even Paine (65) is ahead of Wade.
Haha I dont think we needed the rankings to tell us this :)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia ODI squad for Qantas Tour of India: Aaron Finch (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey (vc), Pat Cummins (vc), Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Marnus Labuschagne, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Ashton Turner, David Warner, Adam Zampa

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Confirmed your boi Siddle is in the Boxing Day squad. Probably unlikely to play though

As much as I definitely wouldn't put him in my starting XI, I don't think it's the terrible call some will inevitably say it is. Really with the exception of Jhye Richardson (who still seems to be getting workload managed for his shoulder), I don't see anyone else domestically who is clearly better. Compare Siddle to someone like Bird for example, it is really much of a muchness in my opinion.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Confirmed your boi Siddle is in the Boxing Day squad. Probably unlikely to play though

As much as I definitely wouldn't put him in my starting XI, I don't think it's the terrible call some will inevitably say it is. Really with the exception of Jhye Richardson (who still seems to be getting workload managed for his shoulder), I don't see anyone else domestically who is clearly better. Compare Siddle to someone like Bird for example, it is really much of a muchness in my opinion.
Do Australia really need five quicks in the squad for every home Test though? No IMO.

It made some sense when "oh someone might get injured" was an argument, but when someone does get injured and you bring in another one it just seems kinda pointless. I'd probably rather have Swepson in the squad in case Lyon did a hammy on the morning of the match or something than bring in a fifth quick.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
DERMO SABBA ABBOTT!! Great selection.

Who, by the way, is also a better pick for a test spot than Old Man Siddle.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

warner
rogers
labuschagne
smith
clarke
voges
haddin
johnson
cummins
harris
lyon

for a team who have had their batting woes, it's ominous. i didn't even need hussey.
Watto might be a better shout at six there than Voges, but I cbf looking up his record for the period in question.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Do Australia really need five quicks in the squad for every home Test though? No IMO.

It made some sense when "oh someone might get injured" was an argument, but when someone does get injured and you bring in another one it just seems kinda pointless. I'd probably rather have Swepson in the squad in case Lyon did a hammy on the morning of the match or something than bring in a fifth quick.
Fair point, frankly whatever quick they brought in would be surplus to requirements anyway in all likelihood

I imagine Langer will put out a comment saying "he's good around the squad" or somesuch, which has always seemed pretty tenuous logic to me anyway

Jukesy

Cricket Spectator

warner
rogers
labuschagne
smith
clarke
voges
haddin
johnson
cummins
harris
lyon

that teams pretty close i reckon. Ryan Harris was an absolute weapon, just a shame he had so many injuries.

what would your team be for new zealand?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

warner
rogers
labuschagne
smith
clarke
voges
haddin
johnson
cummins
harris
lyon

Yeah if you're taking all players at their peak (which isn't how I tend to pick teams of the decade but is clearly how you've based this one) that's definitely the team.