• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
seems dishonest to pick a team of the decade and have the AR spot vacant given everything we did

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah if you're taking all players at their peak (which isn't how I tend to pick teams of the decade but is clearly how you've based this one) that's definitely the team.
not exactly, but i think overall inconsistent johnson is better than inconsistent starc. harris and cummins are locks, and the #6 was tough between voges, hussey and watson but voges' stupid mini-career kinda stood out to me on a whim as summing up australia this decade haha.

labu at #3 is probably a bit premature but i like having smith at #4 and keeping clarke and hussey away from their hated spot.

Spark

Global Moderator
Isn't MMarsh technically still the official VC, or did they decide to officially change that to Head?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Isn't MMarsh technically still the official VC, or did they decide to officially change that to Head?
I think official VC is something they only tend to announce when they change the offical captain. Mitch Marsh is injured (I read that he's playing the BBL game on Weds, but that he probably won't bowl in it) so he might still be it even in their minds though.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Marsh lost VC when he was dropped last season for India series. Head and Cummins were VC's last season and the Ashes and just Cummins was VC in 5th Test when Head got dropped.

As far as I know Head and Cummins have been VC's again all this season?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its funny with Head as he looks like the 10th most influential player when we are fielding. Im placing him ahead of Burns.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Its funny with Head as he looks like the 10th most influential player when we are fielding. Im placing him ahead of Burns.
He is a pretty good captain if you watch him domestically though. If he actually cemented a place in the team he'd be a great shout for next captain, but I can kind of see him treading water in and out of the side instead for a while.

He's still only 25, maybe in a few years. Even if only to trigger TJB.

Flem274*

123/5
head is a good player. looks ungainly but always finds a way, and that is what counts.

it's wade who should be looking over his shoulder.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah, i just meant that for a vice captain within the team he is largely anonomous. His state cricket captaincy got him tye vice captaincy gig, no doubt but I dont really see how he is earning it.

Btw, im not going TBJ levels of hate but he really needs to eliminate hitting the ball so much at catchable height. First innings knock was crucial last Test.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
head is a good player. looks ungainly but always finds a way, and that is what counts.

it's wade who should be looking over his shoulder.
I absolutely agree that Head is better than Wade but if you look at their output since Wade was brought into the side it's fair enough that the selectors think otherwise. Wade hit two tons in the Ashes and Head hasn't hit one in almost a year... and it was against Sri Lanka at home on an even roadier road than Australia usually roads (it was also his only ton).

I just wouldn't have picked Wade in the first place -- it was especially weird ahead of two blokes who'd tonned up in the last Test Australia played, who were dropped for him??? -- but he's performed when he's played even though he absolutely looks like the **** keeper batting a spot too high that he is.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
For long I have expected Head and Marnus to be the #5 and #6 for Australia. Somehow Marnus did better and has seemingly locked down #3.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Haha I dont think we needed the rankings to tell us this :)
Lol, it was more about we're not far off an ATG team with 6 players in top 7 of ICC rankings and Carey already groomed to replace Paine. Add in the potential of Patterson, Pucovski, Cameron Green and the fact Renshaw and Jhye Richardson are only 23 and we may be looking at another decade of dominance soon :)

Last edited: