• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
To be entirely fair, if they had to pick an allrounder right now that wasn't just a cheat on that term, and he was fit to bowl, he's who I'd pick. He's arguably already done more in First Class cricket than Marcus Stoinis.

But that's just a great point supporting my "hey lets not pick an allrounder for the sake of it" stance right now. I'd sooner pick Patto or Henriques and just pretend they were allrounders even though they aren't if I had to, and I'd much sooner just pick a sixth batsman.
Absolutely. I've long been no fan of picking an allrouder for the sake of it, even more so now we have a genuine batsman who can also offer decent leggies himself

aussie tragic

International Captain
Jhye Richardson is Test player #458. Who do you think will be #459 and #460?

I think Will Pucovski and Cameron Green would be perfect to take over the 5-6 in the order, however given Pucovski's continuous withdrawal from Test squads, Michael Neser sounds more likely. Or possibly some random 2nd spinner given the next tests after NZ are in Bangladesh.

I'm going Green and Neser vs Bangladesh Jun/Jul next year (can't see a debutant in NZ series).

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well you never know with those Bangladesh tests, fully expecting CA to drop a "Due to financial viability and security reasons" statement a week out from the tour.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I reckon one of them will be Swepson. I can't see two players debuting against NZ given Bancroft and Pattinson were in the squad for Adelaide, and I'm pretty confident he'll play in Bangladesh.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well you never know with those Bangladesh tests, fully expecting CA to drop a "Due to financial viability and security reasons" statement a week out from the tour.
Would there not be penalties for cancelled tours given the way the WTC works?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I would agree Swepson would have to be right in the selectors thoughts. He's been clearly rated by the selectors for a while, but it's a bit different this time as he has been performing more consistently well for Queensland. He's not knocking off Lyon anytime soon, but as a second spinner I don't mind the idea

Gnske

If the Bangladesh tour is part of the WTC and CA drop out of it for reasons the ICC doesn't support, they effectively just forfeit the series entirely.
Well hopefully it doesn't come to that. It'd be stupid to pull out anyway in the long run, that 2021 tour of India might be the only time they get challenged at home during the WTC. Need that exposure.

The new board hasn't done anything particularly stupid post Newlands that I can think of thankfully (it was the old board that negotiated the Fox deal right?). Maybe i'm just too cynical.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You guys really think NZ cannot compete in this coming series? For some reason, I think they will surprise loads of people then.

stephen

Yeah it's bizarre thinking that now is the time to blood someone. That time was three weeks ago. Not when the number 2 side in the world is in town.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Yeah it's bizarre thinking that now is the time to blood someone. That time was three weeks ago. Not when the number 2 side in the world is in town.
I don't think anyone is talking about blooding someone now as the team is pretty stable. It's more about when.

Obviously depending on how Wade and Head play vs NZ (and if Paine retires) but Bangladesh series could see Swepson as 2nd spinner so Carey at 6 and Green at 7 could be a good option.

aussie tragic

International Captain
^ scratch that. Hohns on record as saying he's putting potential 2nd spinners on notice to train hard for the SCG test.

He didn't say who, but SOK, Swepson, Holland and Agar mentioned in article.

Burgey

You guys really think NZ cannot compete in this coming series? For some reason, I think they will surprise loads of people then.
I think they’ll be very competitive tbh, whether they win the series I think will have a lot to do with whether Boult can bring a few back between bat and pad to Labushagne. If he doesn’t I think it’ll be a long few days’ bowling for them over here

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I was thinking more about how well NZ can bat against Aus. I won't bet against Aus but I think NZ can do better than what people seem to be thinking. Will be a good watch for sure.

Burgey

Yeah they need to get something out of their openers. If they can shield Williamson and Taylor from the new ball they can make it a real grind. Aus bowlers give you nothing. It’ll be a hell of a test for them

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The good thing about playing on Perth will be the games can be pretty fast scoring. Paine has gone on and on about how they want to keep a lid on the run rate as a bowling attack, but I do not see many of the wickets in Australia allowing for that kind of cricket. So hopefully its kind of a meeting fire with fire series, this one.

@Burgey: I think Raval might surprise people and do well here from NZ PoV. For Australia, I think Smith will be back at his throne as the leading run scorer.

Last edited:

vcs

Perth was a pretty spicy deck last year with plenty for both fast bowlers and spinners IIRC. India went with 4 quicks and missed a spinner while Lyon bowled really well for the Aussies.

morgieb

Perth was a pretty spicy deck last year with plenty for both fast bowlers and spinners IIRC. India went with 4 quicks and missed a spinner while Lyon bowled really well for the Aussies.
Yeah I can imagine that pitch getting nasty in a D/N Test. Could end up being a 150 plays 150 sort of situation.

Other two Tests though? May as well play on the Hume Highway.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If Australia A joined the Test World Championship with the aim of winning it, not just development, who would you pick? Anyone outside the XI weve picked the last 3 tests is available.

01 Marcus Harris
02 Usman Khawaja
03 Will Pucovski
04 Shaun Marsh
05 Kurtis Patterson
06 Moises Henriques
07 Alex Carey
08 James Pattinson
09 Michael Neser
10 Steve O'Keefe
11 Jhye Richardson

12 Cameron Green

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming everyone is fit, that looks pretty solid. Would probably prefer to have Pucovski at 5 or 6 as an easier introduction to him but the personnel are more or less what I would go with

Anyone got any ideas on what sort of timeframe KPat will be back in?