• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection 2016/2017

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Anil mate, our big 4 would play both. That's Smith Warner Starc Haze if unsure. Khawaja an option too, I guess.

Nah Brah, I don't see why Maxwell makes the XI for India, but I have been wrong about 4 times in my posting career, so you never know.

anil1405

International Captain
Anil mate, our big 4 would play both. That's Smith Warner Starc Haze if unsure. Khawaja an option too, I guess.

Nah Brah, I don't see why Maxwell makes the XI for India, but I have been wrong about 4 times in my posting career, so you never know.
Maybe you could add Pat Cummins to the list too since he is fit now (boy those two deliveries yesterday to get rid of McCullum and Ross were pure joy).

Its not about the ability though, but if their bodies would allow Starc and/or Haze to play the 3 T20Is against Sri Lanka considering the long summer they had and the amount of cricket the've played over the last six months. I doubt if those two would've been involved even if the India tour was 20 days after the last T20I against Lanka.

And the've still got the Sydney test and 8 ODIs to play before they face Sri Lanka.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
So India coming up.

S.Marsh comes in back into squad. Maddinson flop after 4 innings. It probably wasn't the failures it's that he looked like he lacked a compact defence. Renshaw has something but may be reserve.
Cartwright seamer option in top 6.
Wade not scored much since coming back in which we was expected to do off minimal form.
Agar, SOK and Lyon probably all going to India.
Does Sayers travel as a 4th seamer ? Wait on Cummins/Pattinson.

Last edited:

Compton

International Debutant
The selectors won't be able to resist taking Cummins. Once he's almost fit he's irresistible to them.

They'll take him to India and he'll break down bowling 60 overs across 5 sessions. Selectors will be left talking about how he's "unlucky with injuries" and conveniently ignore the role they're playing it in.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know that cummins has played enough long form cricket to even know if he gets reverse swing. I doubt even he knows whether he can.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Imagine how good the Aus team would've been right now with Hughes in it and Pattinson/Cummins both fit. Would only need to sort out the keeper spot.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
The omission of Maddinson was the right call and of no surprise, but my preferred replacement would have been Head. Geez Louise the SCG wicket must be something close to what we once knew for Agar and O'Keefe to come in to the side.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Yep, when I first heard this I was surprised but I don't think it is that big a problem since the Test players aren't playing in the Bash anyway.

I guess the thing that I am most curious about is who we will pick us backups in the Test squad, cause it will be slightly annoying having someone like Maxwell as the 15th man in India where he could potentially be playing in the T20 game which will obviously be missing some star attractions.

We will still be able to field a quality team, even excluding anyone who has played test cricket in the last 12 months.

1. Finch
2. Dunk
3. Head
4. Bailey
5. Maxwell
6. Lynn
7. Faulkner
8. Cummins
9. Zampa
10. Tye
11. Boland
Tremain for Boland, Ashton Turner would not surprise me either.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I know the WA game had big turn but I'm not sure the others have. Don't remember big turn when the Vics played.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The omission of Maddinson was the right call and of no surprise, but my preferred replacement would have been Head. Geez Louise the SCG wicket must be something close to what we once knew for Agar and O'Keefe to come in to the side.
I just think that the selectors were at the SCG for the NSW v WA Shield game and had glowing reports of the performance of SOK and Agar. I wonder if Holland was a chance if he was fit.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tremain for Boland, Ashton Turner would not surprise me either.
I initially started to write Tremain but last minute switched to Boland. I guess if we need a bowler up front you go Tremain but at the death (more) you go Boland.

Just for the team I've named, I mentioned in the BBL thread that Lynn would definitely be at 3 now in the lineup posted.

Yep, Turner is an option for sure.

Shady Slim

International Coach
if starc has a beautiful biomechanically sound action then tremain's is the exact opposite, ****er flails and thrashes everywhere in his run up

ashton agar also a horrid selection pick imo especially because maxwell didn't get picked, what agar has that o'keefe doesn't do better (except maybe for the batting) i have no clue

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just think that the selectors were at the SCG for the NSW v WA Shield game and had glowing reports of the performance of SOK and Agar. I wonder if Holland was a chance if he was fit.
At this point in time I think Holland is actually the best bowler of the three. I think they're probably taking batting into consideration though, particularly with Agar given he could bat as high as seven.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The whole "Holland being injured" thing would obviously have made it hard to pick him.
The entire conversation was a hypothetical based on that not being the case though..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The entire conversation was a hypothetical based on that not being the case though..
Ah missed that.

Chris Rogers reiterated his belief that Fawad is the best spinner in the country recently (maybe he put the qualifier on it being aside from Lyon). Interesting how it all works for him, having not being able to get games recently. Suggestions are that the Australian selectors had written him off after his tours with the side, hence Holland getting the continual first crack ahead of him recently