• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah a bit sad that. Suuuch a shame he was dropped. With him in the side we probably would have had almost a stable batting line up. Seems like such a waste too considering Hughes just didn't cement his spot at all, and we needed to resort to a stop gap solution anyway with Cowan. So in effect it's almost like Katich was dropped for Cowan...someone who plays an identical role but just less...well.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
At first I thought you meant MacGilla then I thought Clarke then I thought Doherty then I realised you meant Kat.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I've always wondered that the deal really is with Clarke/Katich. Clarke seems to be saying that Kat trying to strangle him is long behind them, yet Kat seems to be of the opinion that Clarke had some part in his axing. Not sure whether to believe Katich is a gentleman who has been majorly screwed over by Clarke and politics, or a bitter man who goes around choking people and blames everybody else for the fact that he is old.

Ruckus

International Captain
I dunno...it's probably a mixture of both. No doubt Katich has been screwed over a bit by the politics of the selection panel when he was dropped but he really dug his own grave with the whole Clarke thing afterwards. Any chance he had of getting back into the team (and perhaps there was actually a small one at some stage there) surely imploded after he said that stuff. Clarke seems like a really decent bloke to me, and I doubt he would let some past incident dictate a decision like that, especially if it had the potential to be for the better of the team. Katich has always come across as having a more 'fiery' personality to me. But, really, who knows, how people come across through media etc. probably just isn't very accurate a lot of the time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't know if there's a live stream of these matches do you (or alternatively highlights)? Be interested to see how Hughes' technique is shaping up, heard he tweaked a few things...
You heard wrong. Saw his ton versus Gloucestershire. Still steps away to leg to make room for himself at any and every opportunity. Was bounced out too, for good measure.

bondi beach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
A terrific ambassador for Australian cricket and as a Pom I can say it was certainly a lot easier to beat Australia without him in the side. What will NSW do? Stick with what they have, promote Tim Cruickshank or sign another batsman? Cruickshank is 30 and therefore hardly a youngster. As things stand 19 year old Kurtis Patterson is their only batting reserve when Warner, Watson and Clarke are playing for Australia.

Their squad currently is:

Batsmen: Hughes, Maddinson, Khawaja, Rohrer, Patterson, Clarke, Watson, Warner (8)
Keepers: Nevill, Haddin (2)
Spinners: O'Keefe, Smith, Hauritz (3)
Seamers: Hazlewood, Starc, Copeland, Bollinger, Henriques, Lalor, Cummins, Lee (8)

What will the starting XI be next season?

Hughes, Maddinson, Khawaja, Smith, Roher, Henriques, Nevill (+), O'Keefe (c), Starc, Hazlewood, Copeland

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You heard wrong. Saw his ton versus Gloucestershire. Still steps away to leg to make room for himself at any and every opportunity. Was bounced out too, for good measure.
Was assiduously moving back-and-across in his recent Test stint so there's that. Of course, it's caused new problems with playing at absolutely everything thrown down at him as Chris Martin so gloriously exploited.

Hughes' problems are so weird, so often he makes the right movements/adjustments after nicking the ball.

Last edited:

Burgey

Was assiduously moving back-and-across in his recent Test stint so there's that. Of course, it's caused new problems with playing at absolutely everything thrown down at him as Chris Martin so gloriously exploited.

Hughes' problems are so weird, so often he makes the right movements/adjustments after nicking the ball.
It's got to be one of the more difficult things to attempt - to rework a technique while still playing at the top level. Time's on his side at least. Love to see him churn out runs for a couple of years and demand re-selection.

Spikey

Sutherland also spoke about scheduling issues CA is facing this summer.

The Champions League Twenty20 -- featuring Perth Scorchers and Sydney Sixers -- is to be staged in India a month later than normal in October because of the T20 World Cup in Sri Lanka in September.

CA is considering scheduling a handful of Sheffield Shield games in September in an early start to the 2012-13 season, possibly in the warmer northern cities of Cairns and Darwin.
Champions League doesn't finish until the end of Oct so I've been wondering what would happen there

bondi beach

Cricket stars face contract cull in wake of Argus review | The Courier-Mail

The number of CA contracts could be reduced from 25 to 15 which I think is a good move as 25 is far too many!

Who will lose their contracts?

Marsh
Haddin
Hughes
Khawaja
White
Smith
Ferguson
Paine
Johnson
Bollinger
Hastings
Hauritz
Krejza

Who will be awarded contracts?

Warner
Wade
Lyon

NSW will be hardest hit with six of their ten players losing their CA contracts although this is part off-set by Dave Warner being awarded his first CA contract.

brockley

International Captain
Warne hints at playing next year.
Fairfax media to go for pay for view like herald sun and the australian.

bondi beach

How can they justify giving Haddin a CA contract but not Lee? Haddin scored 441 runs @ 18 with the bat whereas Brett Lee took 38 wickets @ 24 with the ball.

My final 15 would be Watson, Warner, Clarke, Ponting, M Hussey, D Hussey, Wade, Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Lyon, Lee, Pattinson, Doherty, Harris and Cummins.

Top seven batsmen last year for Australia in all cricket:

Clarke 1,999 runs @ 59 HS 329 6 100s / 6 50s
M Hussey 1,714 runs @ 41 HS 150* 3/8
Warner 1,520 runs @ 37 HS 180 4/6
Ponting 1,281 runs @ 38 HS 221 2/9
Watson 1,083 runs @ 29 HS 88 0/10
D Hussey 732 runs @ 32 HS 74 0/6
Wade 717 runs @ 29 HS 106 1/4 35 ct / 5 st

Top eight bowlers last year for Australia in all cricket

Hilfenhaus 47 wickets @ 20 BB 5-33 3 5wI
Siddle 43 wickets @ 24 BB 5-49 1 5wI
Lyon 43 wickets @ 29 BB 5-34 2 5wI
Watson 41 wickets @ 24 BB 5-17 1 5wI
Lee 38 wickets @ 24 BB 4-15
Pattinson 36 wickets @ 22 BB 5-27 2 5wI
Doherty 34 wickets @ 32 BB 4-28
Harris 30 wickets @ 26 BB 5-62 1 5wI

Aside from Patterson, Cummins has been the outstanding emerging fast bowler for Australia with 17 wickets @ 19 including 6-79 on his test debut.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
@ bondi beach

It probably says where they hold Haddin in the Test pecking order still. And they've said that they are placing a higher priority on Test cricket, so that of course makes Lee vulnerable. Whether or not you agree with Haddin being the "incumbent" in Test cricket is another matter.

Not really all that fussed if Cummins isn't on the list, they can still pick him whenever they want and time with the state program can't be too harming.