• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2022-23

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
What's the view in Australia about Justin Langer's coward comments - fair enough or sour grapes.

Looking from a far Langer did a decent enough job, but there were obviously some players unhappy with his methods.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
What's the view in Australia about Justin Langer's coward comments - fair enough or sour grapes.

Looking from a far Langer did a decent enough job, but there were obviously some players unhappy with his methods.
I think he was a bit hard done by when they let him go; he had just won them a t20WC and they responded by offering him a temporary contract for the ashes. Langer's response to the whole thing at the time was also a bit of a joke. Don't think either side is particularly in the right.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

Nice write up on the CA site about former Parramatta and future test opener Tim Ward
What are your opinions on the great leader Hon Anthony Albanese picking notorious tory bootlicker josh inglis for the PM's eleven over man of the people, jimmy Pierson?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

PR wise it looks pretty bad for CA at the moment I think.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What are your opinions on the great leader Hon Anthony Albanese picking notorious tory bootlicker josh inglis for the PM's eleven over man of the people, jimmy Pierson?
It obviously seems disappointing at first blush, but as with everything my good friend and local member the Hon Anthony Norman Albanese MP has done this year save Keneally for Fowler, it's proven a strategic masterpiece by setting the bootlicker up for failure. And he duly obliged.

TheJediBrah

I couldn't stand Langer when he was coach, but now I don't know what to think. I'm kind of on his side.

I do however get most of my information from facebook comments

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
CA did a typically awful job with the way in which they managed this whole sorry situation, but Langer should have been fired straight after the India series anyway

Burgey

Wasn't Langer's problem that ultimately he just wasn't open to any feedback which remotely challenged the way he went about things? It's a pretty serious flaw in a leader who has to spend so much time with those he's in charge of.

You could see the red mist descending when anyone put something to the group which went against his orthodoxy in that documentary about the 2019 Ashes triumph when Australia smashed England and but for the ineptitude of Marcus Harris and that useless WI umpire would have won the series in a hand canter . Given that was the case, it's no wonder the playing group raised their concerns to outsiders rather than go to Langer himself.

Spikey

I'm not really sure CA did that bad of a job with it tbh. The main problem was hiring Langer in the first place but if they had over-looked him in 2018 the same ex-players would be chucking their dummy spits anyway. If Langer had read the room and just leaves after the Ashes, it'd be fine, but obviously that's not a strength of his. That was the only thing out of CA's control. Darren Lehmann tried to advise Langer to leave after the Ashes, maybe if Ponting and Gilchrist had done that as well......

The other option was to just sack him prior to the WC and the Ashes but clearly they decided they didn't want that headache ahead of the summer, which is understandable, so they reinforced him with two assistants and empowered them to the point that it seems Langer was a coach in name only. Both those assistant coaches had their pick of domestic jobs and in McDonald's case, international jobs, and so they couldn't be long term assistant options for Langer, so what do they have in Coach Langer once the assistants go? The same guy they almost sacked a year earlier?

The annoying thing is nobody ever really engages on what contract CA should have offered him. There's no way they could have offered a long deal, he refused a short deal. What's a 'medium' deal? Given Langer viewed the last 6 months of his contract as optional (he quit on the Pakistan tour), a 2 year deal becomes a 2 and half year deal with a massive test at the start (said Pakistan tour) so even that contract risks CA getting a ton of **** for sacking him and paying him out halfway through the deal.

the reality is with Langer's PR squad, CA was always going to have a tough time parting ways with him, unless they accepted a series of poor results to the point that the cheer squad finally pressed for action, which ****, they lost a series at home to India and he still had the squad. I don't see how parting ways could have ever not be messy, with Langer fighting and fighting to hang around.

Turns out hiring the most beloved player in the dressing room during the golden era leads to some problems down the line!

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasn't Langer's problem that ultimately he just wasn't open to any feedback which remotely challenged the way he went about things? It's a pretty serious flaw in a leader who has to spend so much time with those he's in charge of.
That's pretty much what I gather. We have Langer in the past few days saying that he wasn't given any direct feedback. I've seen a few people saying that in those documentaries (that I haven't watched, I avoid that **** like the plague) several direct confrontations are mentioned. I don't think those are the only ones either. If so he seems to have a very strong case of selective hearing/memory, which totally doesn't surprise me at all.

The failure at Headingley and against India were largely down to lack of batting application and poor tactics in the field (though the pitches didn't help). Langer doesn't seem to be able to deal with that kind of thing. When McDermott was bowling coach he'd be at the boundary passing messages to the bowlers. Langer seems to think that attitude intangibles are 95% of everything. Certainly they're important, but they don't supersede more directly game-related factors.

Spikey

I think he was a bit hard done by when they let him go; he had just won them a t20WC and they responded by offering him a temporary contract for the ashes. Langer's response to the whole thing at the time was also a bit of a joke. Don't think either side is particularly in the right.
just to be clear this was for the 2023 Ashes not the home summer Ashes. He was contracted until June of this year and in the end was offered a 6 month extension. It's unclear whether that would have covered the WC or the full home summer (which I think ends after the New Year's test, so I reckon it would have). He rejected that.

In Jan 2022, CA's fixture list looked like:

Pakistan tour (Langer already contracted for)
Some of the random ODers and T20s
T20 WC
Home tests
2023 Ashes

One report suggested that CA was considering a 12 month extension but that Langer would have rejected any contract that was only 12 months (ie covering the above series) anyway. It seems entirely fair for CA to not want to contract Langer any longer than that time frame given a disappointing series of results (ie an Ashes loss) in that time frame would lead to sacking Langer and paying him out and CA getting **** for an irresponsible contract

I just don't think there was ever a contract fit for both sides and that's the whole issue and it's never discussed!

Last edited:

Spikey

So there's a 2% chance of him being better than Nathan Lyon. I think we need to take him on the overseas tours

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langer is by most accounts a good guy

However, he was close (maybe even past) his use by date as coach when he stepped down

That being the case, it was time for someone new

Langer has obviously taken the decision personally and I fail to see how his comments are doing either Australian cricket or himself any good

Chubb

International Regular
If you want to have some fun try telling the Aussie Cricket Scores and Updates Facebook page that Langer needs to let it go and move on and nobody would employ him as a coach at the moment. 100 replies, some extremely personal, and counting.