• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2020/21

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dunno about Copeland, he is a gun bowler in seaming conditions but can't help but think he would be flogged on some of roads test cricket is played on.
He doesn't deserve a spot now, but he deserved a bit more than three tests on Sri Lankan dustbowls.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
He doesn't deserve a spot now, but he deserved a bit more than three tests on Sri Lankan dustbowls.
Those were the days though, you either proved you are the next Ponting/Warne/McGrath in a couple of games or you just went away. :p

From there the pendulum has swung in the total opposite direction, where average of 30 is fine for a batsman and an average of 40/50 as a bowler won't see you get dropped either.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was a scheduling discussion going on in one of these threads and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents. BCCI uncompromisingly schedule the IPL such that there's no international cricket going on concurrently with it so the best cricketers are available. That's probably the worst example of greed in cricket since this ends up scratching off 3 months off the calendar for test cricket. The BBL being so long is stupid and 5 teams qualifying out of 8 is stupid too and they could fix those things but IMO test cricketers not being available for franchise stuff is fine all things considered.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
There was a scheduling discussion going on in one of these threads and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents. BCCI uncompromisingly schedule the IPL such that there's no international cricket going on concurrently with it so the best cricketers are available. That's probably the worst example of greed in cricket since this ends up scratching off 3 months off the calendar for test cricket. The BBL being so long is stupid and 5 teams qualifying out of 8 is stupid too and they could fix those things but IMO test cricketers not being available for franchise stuff is fine all things considered.
Then Australian cricket board shouldn't send their cricketers for IPL or 100 either. It's pretty stupid that CA barge and halt domestic cricket, run a T20 tournament simultaneously with the test season but their premier players play in every T20 league barring their own.

BCCI flexed their muscle into making sure that players around the world would rebel against their own board, if that window weren't created. Compared to that Australian cricket board just have a managerial issue on their hands more than anything else.

Last edited:

Burgey

i think he was in the squad for the SA tour after that SL series he played in, but didn't get picked even when the decks were seaming sideways. I thought that was a pretty weird omission.

Burgey

If Copeland had been exposed much longer at Test level he'd have been binned for chucking
That or they would have changed the law to accommodate him.

He is also an excellent fielder, you know. Or at least he was when he was younger...

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Then Australian cricket board shouldn't send their cricketers for IPL or 100 either. It's pretty stupid that CA barge and halt domestic cricket, run a T20 tournament simultaneously with the test season but their premier players play in every T20 league barring their own.

BCCI flexed their muscle into making sure that players around the world would rebel against their own board, if that window weren't created. Compared to that Australian cricket board just have a managerial issue on their hands more than anything else.
It's ****, and the BCCI was **** for doing it, but nobody has the stones to do anything about it. The BCCI could have simply limited each side to domestic players only and we'd get three months a year back. But $$$ talk and India have a tv market as large as every other test nation put together.

TheJediBrah

It's ****, and the BCCI was **** for doing it, but nobody has the stones to do anything about it. The BCCI could have simply limited each side to domestic players only and we'd get three months a year back. But $$$ talk and India have a tv market as large as every other test nation put together.
Supply and demand. Free market. There are plenty of other sports (like all of them) that India aren't even involved in, watch them.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
BCCI does not eat into a very busy part of the International calendar though. Its 2 months and April and May hardly sees much cricket played except in England. Which is why they were the last to come around. I do wish they run a shorter IPL but at the end of the day, that money also fuels a lot of guys to take up cricket as a career, so have to bear with some of the issues that it does create.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Mate, I was astonished when I learned Tour De France with 3 billion plus viewers is the most watched televised sporting event on the planet, a sporting event like the superbowl is watched by over a 100 million people.

None of these sports are widely popular or mainstream around the world, but they are managed and produced in a very professional manner.

With BBL, Cricket Australia doesn't even have the problem of pushing a non mainstream sport, they already have cricketing nations who will get on board for good, competitive and well managed cricket tournament.

In it's current form BBL is not even a good domestic event, forget about it attracting global eyeballs. Since Australian board has decided that BBL has to be a thing, then at the very least aspire to make it the second best T20 tournament after IPL, so it can generate more money and opportunities for the players and administrators alike.

Burgey

Since Australian board has decided that BBL has to be a thing, then at the very least aspire to make it the second best T20 tournament after IPL, so it can generate more money and opportunities for the players and administrators alike.
When do you propose to hold it then? Given there are tours involving nearly every test nation somewhere in the world during the Australian summer.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
When do you propose to hold it then? Given there are tours involving nearly every test nation somewhere in the world during the Australian summer.
Just hunker down and make a window that doesn't mess much with the Australian international season.

Australia, India and England were ready to shun even the ICC over revenue sharing disputes, so pretty sure if competent people were running CA all along, a robust tournament structure could have been created to protect at least their self-interests and financial health of cricket in Australia.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
BCCI does not eat into a very busy part of the International calendar though. Its 2 months and April and May hardly sees much cricket played except in England. Which is why they were the last to come around. I do wish they run a shorter IPL but at the end of the day, that money also fuels a lot of guys to take up cricket as a career, so have to bear with some of the issues that it does create.
Do kids start playing a sport really young because they can make money in the IPL? Probably be more inspired by seeing their national players play at home

Burgey

Just hunker down and make a window that doesn't mess much with the Australian international season.

Australia, India and England were ready to shun even the ICC over revenue sharing disputes, so pretty sure if component people were running CA all along, a robust tournament structure could have been created to protect at least their self-interests and financial health of cricket in Australia.
Yeah but then you run straight into four football codes seasons, with the A League moving more into winter nowadays. And three of them are popular (the other is rugby, which is a **** stain in this country and should be euthanatized asap). It's just about the most competitive sporting market in the world, given how many top tier sports there are vying for the bucks of a relatively small population.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Australia, India and England were ready to shun even the ICC over revenue sharing disputes, so pretty sure if component people were running CA all along, a robust tournament structure could have been created to protect at least their self-interests and financial health of cricket in Australia.
Seriously, give it up...The international and domestic season (i.e BBL) needs to be played in December and January. Not really sure why you keep posting the same thing over and over

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Seriously, give it up...The international and domestic season (i.e BBL) needs to be played in December and January. Not really sure why you keep posting the same thing over and over
Why? Give a me good reason for that, when it doesn't make money, pull ratings. It's not a like a bad marriage you need to drag on just for the kids.