• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2020/21

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
@Prince EWS I have the same views on Sutherland as you, he looks talented but needs a yard or two of pace. I must say he looks quicker than actually is. I've got the same concern with him I've got for Green. He's very similar in style to Ishant and I don't think our setup knows how to handle that kind of bowler, or swing bowlers in general. Wouldn't be surprised if Bartlett loses his swing either.

I'd love them to adopt the ball they've been using in NZ, but pigs might fly.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Only 4 bowlers for NSW? be realistic
Sangha and Edwards are nominally all-rounders! It's a fair point that no Moises means Copeland at 7 though. Not sure who's next off the rank - Stobo recall if they go for a quick or Fallins as a spinner?

the big bambino

International Captain
So making a few assumptions and whatnot, do the squads point towards Shield sides along these lines?

NSWQLDSATASVICWA
  1. Larkin
  2. Hughes
  3. Patterson
  4. Solway
  5. Edwards
  6. Nevill +
  7. Sangha
  8. Copeland
  9. Tremain
  10. Hatcher
  11. Conway
  1. Street
  2. Burns
  3. Khawaja
  4. Heazlett
  5. Renshaw
  6. Peirson +
  7. Wildermuth
  8. Prestwidge
  9. Kuhnemann
  10. Bartlett
  11. Doggett
  1. Hunt
  2. McInerney
  3. Bosisto
  4. Cooper
  5. Weatherald
  6. Nielsen +
  7. Scott
  8. Sayers
  9. Worrall
  10. Agar
  11. Pope
  1. Wakim
  2. Silk
  3. Doolan
  4. Wright
  5. Doran +
  6. Webster
  7. Andrews
  8. Ellis
  9. Siddle
  10. Bird
  11. Bell
  1. Dean
  2. Maddinson
  3. Short
  4. Handscomb
  5. Harvey
  6. Fraser-McGurk
  7. Harper +
  8. Sutherland
  9. Perry
  10. Boland
  11. Holland
  1. Whiteman
  2. Bancroft
  3. Marsh
  4. Wells
  5. Cartwright
  6. Inglis +
  7. Hinchcliffe
  8. Hardie
  9. Gannon
  10. Kelly
  11. Paris
You could pick a pretty decent A team from this. Burns Maddinson Khawaja Marsh Renshaw Inglis Wildermuth Ellis Siddle Bartlett Holland. They could probably take on the Zimbucks or even India's 2nd XI ...

stephen

You could pick a pretty decent A team from this. Burns Maddinson Khawaja Marsh Renshaw Inglis Wildermuth Ellis Siddle Bartlett Holland. They could probably take on the Zimbucks or even India's 2nd XI ...
Our main side couldn't even beat the Indian second XI. What makes you think these guys could?

stephen

Also, Bird is the best bowler in the competition. No way he should be left out. In fact he should be going to SA. Stupid to take Steketee ahead of him.

Starfighter

I just realised how insane that is. Especially as Steketee averaged 43 in the shield.

Feels like if Langer decides you're done, you're done.

Kraken

International 12th Man
Sangha and Edwards are nominally all-rounders! It's a fair point that no Moises means Copeland at 7 though. Not sure who's next off the rank - Stobo recall if they go for a quick or Fallins as a spinner?
Stobo is in WA now, next cab for a quick could very well be Nic Bills from Sydney

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Stobo, that is dipping wayyyyyyyyyyy into the obscure bin anyway

As for South Australia, Weatherald will open, and it wouldn't completely surprise me to see Gibson get a callup

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So making a few assumptions and whatnot, do the squads point towards Shield sides along these lines?

NSWQLDSATASVICWA
  1. Larkin
  2. Hughes
  3. Patterson
  4. Solway
  5. Edwards
  6. Nevill +
  7. Sangha
  8. Copeland
  9. Tremain
  10. Hatcher
  11. Conway
  1. Street
  2. Burns
  3. Khawaja
  4. Heazlett
  5. Renshaw
  6. Peirson +
  7. Wildermuth
  8. Prestwidge
  9. Kuhnemann
  10. Bartlett
  11. Doggett
  1. Hunt
  2. McInerney
  3. Bosisto
  4. Cooper
  5. Weatherald
  6. Nielsen +
  7. Scott
  8. Sayers
  9. Worrall
  10. Agar
  11. Pope
  1. Wakim
  2. Silk
  3. Doolan
  4. Wright
  5. Doran +
  6. Webster
  7. Andrews
  8. Ellis
  9. Siddle
  10. Bird
  11. Bell
  1. Dean
  2. Maddinson
  3. Short
  4. Handscomb
  5. Harvey
  6. Fraser-McGurk
  7. Harper +
  8. Sutherland
  9. Perry
  10. Boland
  11. Holland
  1. Whiteman
  2. Bancroft
  3. Marsh
  4. Wells
  5. Cartwright
  6. Inglis +
  7. Hinchcliffe
  8. Hardie
  9. Gannon
  10. Kelly
  11. Paris
*Bertus at five for NSW, obvs

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Unless I read it wrong this has nothing to do with what Finch and Maxwell want. It's the selection/management at Vics saying that they don't want them.
Well the way the article puts it, it says Maxwell nor Finch are confident of ever playing test cricket again so a mutually agreeable solution of them not featuring in Shield cricket is being looked upon.

There is a pretty defeatist or self centered attitude to the whole article, no matter which side of the aisle it's coming from.

The next generation of cricketers to a certain extent should demand selections, instead of being picked because someone is placing their bets on them coming good.

tony p

First Class Debutant

NSWQLDSATASVICWA
  1. Larkin
  2. Hughes
  3. Patterson
  4. Solway
  5. Edwards
  6. Nevill +
  7. Sangha
  8. Copeland
  9. Tremain
  10. Hatcher
  11. Conway
  1. Street
  2. Burns
  3. Khawaja
  4. Heazlett
  5. Renshaw
  6. Peirson +
  7. Wildermuth
  8. Prestwidge
  9. Kuhnemann
  10. Bartlett
  11. Doggett
  1. Hunt
  2. McInerney
  3. Bosisto
  4. Cooper
  5. Weatherald
  6. Nielsen +
  7. Scott
  8. Sayers
  9. Worrall
  10. Agar
  11. Pope
  1. Wakim
  2. Silk
  3. Doolan
  4. Wright
  5. Doran +
  6. Webster
  7. Andrews
  8. Ellis
  9. Siddle
  10. Bird
  11. Bell
  1. Dean
  2. Maddinson
  3. Short
  4. Handscomb
  5. Harvey
  6. Fraser-McGurk
  7. Harper +
  8. Sutherland
  9. Perry
  10. Boland
  11. Holland
  1. Whiteman
  2. Bancroft
  3. Marsh
  4. Wells
  5. Cartwright
  6. Inglis +
  7. Hinchcliffe
  8. Hardie
  9. Gannon
  10. Kelly
  11. Paris
Not sure if Jon Wells has a W.A. contract this season, the S.A. & Tas top orders look pretty weak, although our pace attack, ( Tas) is strong, also Rainbird could get a game as well.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I could see something like this

Weatherald
Hunt
Bosisto
Cooper
Gibson
Nielsen
Scott
Sayers
Worrall
Agar
Pope/Winter/Grant

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well the way the article puts it, it says Maxwell nor Finch are confident of ever playing test cricket again so a mutually agreeable solution of them not featuring in Shield cricket is being looked upon.

There is a pretty defeatist or self centered attitude to the whole article, no matter which side of the aisle it's coming from.

The next generation of cricketers to a certain extent should demand selections, instead of being picked because someone is placing their bets on them coming good.
Of course but I don't think Maxwell and Finch are in any way happy about it, or lack the desire to play in the Shield as you were implying. If it were up to them I'm sure they'd be playing every Shield game they can with hopes of playing Test cricket again (as unrealistic as those hopes might be)

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
For ages there was this hue and cry that there is a huge NSW bias with Australian selections, but geez the standards of Australian cricket and NSW cricket have taken a nosedive pretty simultaneously, which I don't think is a coincidence.

Barring Patterson don't think you can currently call anyone, a test level player from that lot.

stephen

For ages there was this hue and cry that there is a huge NSW bias with Australian selections, but geez the standards of Australian cricket and NSW cricket have taken a nosedive pretty simultaneously, which I don't think is a coincidence.

Barring Patterson don't think you can currently call anyone, a test level player from that lot.
I think Copeland is a little unlucky to not get more tests than he did.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Of course but I don't think Maxwell and Finch are in any way happy about it, or lack the desire to play in the Shield as you were implying. If it were up to them I'm sure they'd be playing every Shield game they can with hopes of playing Test cricket again (as unrealistic as those hopes might be)
With a pretty big 12 months of cricket lined-up, if I were Finch or Maxwell I won't think that I have missed the test cricket boat, nor would I get too comfortable about my OD cricket spot, given how this administration behaves.