• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2020/21

Kraken

International 12th Man
Why? Give a me good reason for that, when it doesn't make money, pull ratings. It's not a like a bad marriage you need to drag on just for the kids.
cricket is a summer sport in this country, the BBL is on at the right time (it goes a few weeks too long, but that's a seperate issue)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I look forward to the AFL ceding possession of the MCG to a Stars-Hurricanes round robin game on the last weekend in September.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Yeah but then you run straight into four football codes seasons, with the A League moving more into winter nowadays. And three of them are popular (the other is rugby, which is a **** stain in this country and should be euthanatized asap). It's just about the most competitive sporting market in the world, given how many top tier sports there are vying for the bucks of a relatively small population.
Have more double headers, look to wrap a BBL season by 40 days and prioritise the number of games against every international opponent that hits the sweet spot, both in terms of competitiveness and revenue generation during the home season.

Burgey

Yeah but when are you proposing to have this 40 day period, if not over the course of the international summer?

Burgey

Potentially it is, but the footy seasons start. You've no idea how big a deal it is for a heap of people. Aussie Rules and NRL kick off within a week of each other and basically forget anything else for six months. Plus they use MCG, Gabba, SCG, Adelaide and both Perth grounds. It can't be done unless you did a Top End series and it's cyclone season up there.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Potentially it is, but the footy seasons start. You've no idea how big a deal it is for a heap of people. Aussie Rules and NRL kick off within a week of each other and basically forget anything else for six months. Plus they use MCG, Gabba, SCG, Adelaide and both Perth grounds. It can't be done unless you did a Top End series and it's cyclone season up there.
I seriously think making the BBL an 8 team affair is one of the issues then. If you just do a 6 team home and away for all formats, you can easily conclude a home season of all 3 formats in 4 months and you can always design it so that the holiday period is covered by the T20 version.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
cricket is a summer sport in this country, the BBL is on at the right time (it goes a few weeks too long, but that's a seperate issue)
The first game of the Shield season kicks off in the second week of October, so is it any less consequential than the BBL? Sure it doesn't make money like BBL, but isn't it the building block for the whole cricketing system.

Two months into a season first class players are told to disperse and get into the T20 mode, then another two months later these players comeback to their FC teams and look to pick pieces of their season from where they left it off, to it's eventual culmination.

With such stop-start nonsense going on within the domestic structure, is it a surprise that standards of Australian cricketer are going down with every passing year?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The first game of the Shield season kicks off in the second week of October, so is it any less consequential than the BBL? Sure it doesn't make money like BBL, but isn't it the building block for the whole cricketing system.

Two months into a season first class players are told to disperse and get into the T20 mode, then another two months later these players comeback to their FC teams and look to pick pieces of their season from where they left it off, to it's eventual culmination.

With such stop-start nonsense going on within the domestic structure, is it a surprise that standards of Australian cricketer are going down with every passing year?
That’s a completely seperate issue...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Why? Give a me good reason for that, when it doesn't make money, pull ratings. It's not a like a bad marriage you need to drag on just for the kids.
The Big Bash ratings are fine. Will they get back to the heights of a few years ago when the competition was in its absolute prime? Unlikely. But they're fairly solid for something that is basically on every single night

Its fairly obvious that the competition is way too long but CA have little choice but to stick with current scheduling as they shot themselves in the foot with the TV rights. That's a different point though - It simply cannot be televised other than December/January. To suggest so is ludicrous

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
The Big Bash ratings are fine. Will they get back to the heights of a few years ago when the competition was in its absolute prime? Unlikely. But they're fairly solid for something that is basically on every single night

Its fairly obvious that the competition is way too long but CA have little choice but to stick with current scheduling as they shot themselves in the foot with the TV rights. That's a different point though - It simply cannot be televised other than December/January. To suggest so is ludicrous
BBL ratings were in a bad shape and that's why all the gimmicky rules were introduced this year, this year the ratings however have seen a spike and genius broadcasters would probably give credit to the introduction of their rule changes for this.

However the point being, at the start of this cricket summer CAs coffers were dry as an overcooked sausage and talent pool was full of mediocrity.

The cornerstone purpose for every board to start their T20 leagues is improving their financial health and giving a common ground with a spotlight for new, diverse talent to come through.

Australian cricket is achieving neither of these purposes, so forgive me for pointing out that it's a pathetically managed tournament causing nothing but issues to structure and functionality of Australian cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator

The school holidays thing is hugely important too. I don't understand why this is just not being considered by Smudge at all. It's not an issue for the football season because... they play on weekends and Fridays.

Good luck getting any kids at sporting games played on a Tuesday evening in the middle of the school term. This is an absurd crusade on his behalf tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
I seriously think making the BBL an 8 team affair is one of the issues then. If you just do a 6 team home and away for all formats, you can easily conclude a home season of all 3 formats in 4 months and you can always design it so that the holiday period is covered by the T20 version.
Compressing is probably the right move. But that's beside the point: it will not be moved out of its December/January slot, and moving it is a categorically terrible idea for a whole range of reasons unless you are trying to actually kill the tournament.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Compressing is probably the right move. But that's beside the point: it will not be moved out of its December/January slot, and moving it is a categorically terrible idea for a whole range of reasons unless you are trying to actually kill the tournament.
I think I mentioned clearly about keeping it in the holiday season in my post. Obviously you dont move the time coz its proven to be popular with kids and families and the eyeballs are necessary, even if the effects may not be seen for the next 5-8 years at least.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think I mentioned clearly about keeping it in the holiday season in my post. Obviously you dont move the time coz its proven to be popular with kids and families and the eyeballs are necessary, even if the effects may not be seen for the next 5-8 years at least.
I think everyone agrees it's too long. It's just the vexatious crusade to move it to, who knows, November? It certainly wouldn't work in February-March, everyone is transitioning to footy season by then. It is quite literally in the only place it can possibly work, but it does need to be shorter.