• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2018/19

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
some context for Wade's average:

Highest First Class Averages (Outside Tests)

Steve Smith........... 52.16... 4225
David Warner......... 49.89... 2245
Usman Khawaja.... 44.30... 6734
Glenn Maxwell....... 43.52... 3525
Shaun Marsh.......... 43.13...7892
Matthew Wade....... 42.89... 5876
Peter Nevill............. 41.15... 4568
Kurtis Patterson...... 40.82... 4000
Joe Burns............... 40.79... 6037
Cameron Bancroft.. 40.37...4844

Missing: Pucovski (has less than 1000 runs), Lynn (isn't playing First class cricket)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Bert dayboos I’ll hopefully be able to watcha fair bit of days three and four on a wine weekend in Mudgee. Could potentially be messy - winery tour on Saturday amidst this game, then a posed house full of people while state election results roll in. What could go wrong

TheJediBrah

No, I would say he is in a rich vein of form. Didn't we just though this?
There's no way to know the difference at this point in time anyway. If he averages 30 in the Shield next year then we can be pretty certain it was a fluke season.

btw Adam Voges was picked in the midst of a rich vein of form and that worked out ok for him.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Not strictly true, Wade's Shield record has always been fairly strong tbf. Averaged the right side of 40 for Victoria, so to say he has significantly improved is tenuous at best
Some quick calculations from looking up his seasons for Victoria give me a Shield average of exactly 41.1 from 113 innings with 18 not outs
His average for Tasmania is 52.53 from 35 innings with 5 not outs.
Seems like he has done significantly better for Tasmania but he did have some very good seasons for Victoria as well so my claim that he improved significant is wrong. However his overall record is as good as any of the players fighting for a place in the team and his form is very good.
Plenty of reason to give him a go on the A tour and see what happens

Here is the list of Australian current players with FC averages over 40, not many.
Steve Smith 57.27
Warner 48.20
Pucovski 45.64 only 19 innings
Wakim 43.83 only 6 innings
Khawaja 43.77
Patterson 41.85
Maxwell 41.10
Shaun Marsh 40.79
Burns 40.68
Wade 40.25
Cameron White 40.05

11 players but Wakim has one big century perhaps boosting his average, Pucovski is not ready yet, far too inconsistent. Shaun Marsh is a proven failure at test level. White is not getting selected at his age and his current form is poor.
Take out the three players, Warner, Smith and Khawaja, probably Maxwell as well. That leaves Patterson, Burns and Wade in contention for the A tour, Wade is in the best form of this trio how can he not make it?

Spikey

well adam voges was also picked based on his successful county experience, and he scored 74 runs in his first 7 innings in that ashes tour, only scoring runs after the series was all but over, so i'm not really sure if it was successful

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Tend to agree with those saying Wade's in nick. His knock the other day was full of shots and **** me it was entertaining but I didn't see anything in his batting that make me think he should be in the Test side, particularly for an England tour.
But the test team has had plenty of players lately who should not be in a test side and Wade is probably better than a lot of them.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
some context for Wade's average:

Highest First Class Averages (Outside Tests)

Steve Smith........... 52.16... 4225
David Warner......... 49.89... 2245
Usman Khawaja.... 44.30... 6734
Glenn Maxwell....... 43.52... 3525
Shaun Marsh.......... 43.13...7892
Matthew Wade....... 42.89... 5876
Peter Nevill............. 41.15... 4568
Kurtis Patterson...... 40.82... 4000
Joe Burns............... 40.79... 6037
Cameron Bancroft.. 40.37...4844

Missing: Pucovski (has less than 1000 runs), Lynn (isn't playing First class cricket)
Better than my list, thank you.

Spikey

well adam voges was also picked based on his successful county experience, and he scored 74 runs in his first 7 innings in that ashes tour, only scoring runs after the series was all but over, so i'm not really sure if it was successful
i should rephrase: adam voges wasn't given a test debut at the age of 35 to beat up on the West Indies. He was seen as someone could be of use in the Ashes and he completely flopped.

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
I'm finding it pretty weird that Wade is being put forward as the obvious World Cup keeper despite being consistently **** in one day cricket and averaging 27 in the latest ODD comp.

He's doing what Warner used to by sucking at one day stuff while dominating everything else.

This is beside the fact I don't want him keeping to Zampa, and possibly Lyon, on overused wickets late in a world cup.

morgieb

I'm finding it pretty weird that Wade is being put forward as the obvious World Cup keeper despite being consistently **** in one day cricket and averaging 27 in the latest ODD comp.

He's doing what Warner used to by sucking at one day stuff while dominating everything else.

This is beside the fact I don't want him keeping to Zampa, and possibly Lyon, on overused wickets late in a world cup.
Nah he did pretty well at ODI's the last time he was in the side. Had a reasonably lengthy period averaging about mid-30's at a SR near 100. Not amazing in itself but better than what Paine or Carey would give you.

EDIT: Overall stats since Haddin retired - 30 @ 100. So while his overall ODI stats look pretty awful, his more recent ones look OK. He's not the magic bullet a lot of the internet thinks he is but those stats > what Carey/Paine would achieve in a similar timeframe.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

But the test team has had plenty of players lately who should not be in a test side and Wade is probably better than a lot of them.
Probably less about the players but the combination. Reckon the selectors think with Smith and Warnaaaah coming back, despite my own problems with Paine batting at 7, they've finally cracked an Ashes combo. For him to squeeze in, he's competing with Head and Patterson and they've got him covered against the moving ball.

Last edited:

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
That is true, Khawaja, Smith, Head, Patterson are probably going to fill 3-6. Probably Warner and one of Burns, Harris or Bancroft to open. But there could be spot for Wade as a back up batsman and 2nd wicketkeeper if he goes on the A tour and does well in the 2 FC matches being played, including the match against the England Lions. Perhaps Smith comes back and cannot make a run and that spot is open or Head or Handscomb fail badly on the A tour and Wade makes lots of runs and he suddenly replaces them at number 6. The same thing could happen with any batsman who goes on the A Tour and makes runs.
My position is at the moment Wade should be on the A tour, should play the two FC matches before the Ashes squad is picked and should have a chance to score runs and win himself a position in the Ashes squad. If he makes the squad then maybe a position opens and he plays, maybe he just travels around as back up and does not play at all.
Who are the other options for back up middle order batsman?
Handscomb - not convinced he has the technique to succeed. He has been dropped for a reason and has not done anything in FC since to prove he is any better
Shaun Marsh - even though he does well when he plays Shield cricket he has failed to often at test level and his test playing days should be over
Will Pucovski - An immense talent but I do not think he is ready. Far too inconsistent with the bat.
Marnus Labschagne - Not good enough, needs to make more runs for Queensland and really demand to be picked.
Glenn Maxwell - constantly playing shorter cricket, hard to know if he is in form or not, might be a reasonable option
Maddinson - In really good form, could get a chance to impress on the A tour.
Joe Burns - Could play in the middle order if really required but if he is opening would we want to drop him down the order and bring in another opener.

Top_Cat

Wade should tour with the A side - yup.

The top-6 seems settled but yeah, there's a bit of a logjam of backups for the squad. That said, think the world cup squad will contain a few nods for the Ashes too. If someone like, say, Handcomb has a reasonable WC, he'll stay in England. Similar Marsh. There's always a young gun, a backup opener and allrounder for an Ashes tour so it looks like blokes like Labuschagne, Maddinson and Maxwell will get squeezed out. Guess we'll see.

TheJediBrah

i should rephrase: adam voges wasn't given a test debut at the age of 35 to beat up on the West Indies. He was seen as someone could be of use in the Ashes and he completely flopped.
"beat up on WI". Bloke made 130* on debut on a very difficult batting wicket where no one else made any.

definitely went missing in England though

Wade should tour with the A side - yup.

The top-6 seems settled but yeah, there's a bit of a logjam of backups for the squad. That said, think the world cup squad will contain a few nods for the Ashes too. If someone like, say, Handcomb has a reasonable WC, he'll stay in England. Similar Marsh. There's always a young gun, a backup opener and allrounder for an Ashes tour so it looks like blokes like Labuschagne, Maddinson and Maxwell will get squeezed out. Guess we'll see.
Surely you can't say that the top 6 is settled when Labuschagne is (bafflingly) in there.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

I was talking about with Smith and Warner back. Labuschagne can’t retain his position - agreed.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Labuschagne is definitely the one on the chopping block, Head and Patterson have shown a fair bit more in their brief test careers to date, and he was pretty underwhelming in his return to Shield cricket. Still would probably take him on the A tour, but I can certainly think of a few guys I would rather see there ahead of him.

PS: Handscomb is certainly not one of them, he would be eaten alive in England with that technique