• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Offseason 2011

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeh, good point actually. He must realise he's only got a couple of years as a player and his test career is over, time to cash in a set yourself up, son.

Spikey

Will probably end up supporting Adelaide after they sign 10 Sydney grade cricketers up. Any team that signs an uncapped Sydney grade cricketer or compiles a predominantly NSW-born side is going to have a big chance of winning me over. :p

You'd have to think the Thunder is gonna have to pick up a couple of grade cricketers if Gayle and Warner have taken up 40-50% of the cap already.

Spikey

Perth have picked up Hussey and MJ. Will be interesting to see how much they get. Of course Marsh will be the most interesting. Probably worth upwards of 100 but then he's not 100% to be available

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pfft the charm of Chris Gayle is irresistible:wub:
Hate Gayle like poison tbh. I could deal with Warner because at least he's from NSW, but signing him and then signing Gayle as well was just too much, especially since they decided not to call themselves Western Sydney.

Spikey

Hate Gayle like poison tbh. I could deal with Warner because at least he's from NSW, but signing him and then signing Gayle as well was just too much, especially since they decided not to call themselves Western Sydney.
Don't think they had a choice tbh. Same with the team playing @ the Docklands. The management of both teams most likely know the teams playing at the SCG & MCG will be considered the real Sydney & Melbourne, but I guess CA forced the name on them. Nothing stopping the Thunder setting their eyes on Western Sydney and using informal names of course. The Docklands team has it much worse. Only really got "it won't be rain affected!" going for them.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't think they had a choice tbh. Same with the team playing @ the Docklands. The management of both teams most likely know the teams playing at the SCG & MCG will be considered the real Sydney & Melbourne, but I guess CA forced the name on them. Nothing stopping the Thunder setting their eyes on Western Sydney and using informal names of course. The Docklands team has it much worse. Only really got "it won't be rain affected!" going for them.
So CA wouldn't let the management call the teams what they wanted? That seems pretty dire.

Spikey

So CA wouldn't let the management call the teams what they wanted? That seems pretty dire.
Would it really surprise you? If I could be bothered I'd try to find some articles to support this, i'm just using common sense. I doubt the Thunder were thinking "hey let's call ourselves Sydney too! No-one will get confused by that!". Hopefully once the private ownership stuff comes in some name changes (or maybe even location changes) could happen.

Spikey

Meh. Having two of 8 teams half privately owned isn't much to get up in arms about. (iirc that was the plan). All 8 i wouldn't support though

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Interesting that South Australia signed Theo Doropoulos.

Darren Berry has been heavy with his criticism of the South Australian culture of importing fringe cricketers. Funny timing to then sign a cricketer up who has been a fringe player in two different states.

I like Doropoulos BTW, but I don't think he will improve the South Australian first-class squad.