• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Offseason 2011

brockley

International Captain
Sixers sign steve smith and henriques, strikers sign cam borgas and dan harris.
Hurricanes sign paine,rana and doherty.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Hershelle Gibbs, Mike Hussey, Mitch Marsh, Tom Beaton and Nathan Coulter-Nile to the scorchers.
Nick buchanan and chris lynn for the heat.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can we use the team's first name when announcing signings. cbf remembering their team name.

So either Perth, Sydney, West Sydney, Docklands, Melbourne etc.

Spark

Global Moderator
^^^This.

Have to say I could take a real shine to the Perth team if they play full-strength.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm going with the SCG team. The closest to me and I don't really like the Olympic Stadium. I suppose the Thunder just figured with Warner and Gayle they wouldn't need to do any of this "marketing" thing.

Theo Doropoulos gets an SA contract
Interesting about Droppa, he was the best player in Melbourne grade cricket this year, but because of the Futures League he didn't really get a chance to push himself higher up. Might have been a good chance of getting a contract here if it was the old system, in fact, probably better than 50/50.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Cricket Tas > News & Media > Latest News

Evan Gulbis joins Tasmania this year. Weird, all the talk was him doing it last year, and he gets one this year when there is less cash in the pool. Also:

PKF Tigers' bowler Matthew Day and batsmen Tom Triffitt and Nick Kruger have been upgraded to full contracts, while the new additions to the rookie list include local up-and-coming talent in Sam Rainbird and Marc Simonds and NSW recruit Sandy Rogers.
My new favourite player.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So with the complete restructure - states becoming franchises, new teams being added, separate contracts etc - what's the current tally of players who have actually decided to play for a Big Bash team in a different state to their Shield team? It's just 1, isn't it? And that too was a player going back to his original home for the event.

Early doors I know but that amuses me. The Scorchers have signed up nine players already - an overseas import, an ex-WA rep and seven current WA reps. Showing it's all been worth the effort...

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anyone really care?

Gerard Wheatley (sp) raised a good point on Offsiders yesterday. Brad Hogde signed for one of the Melbourne teams, and chose that team over the other team and he said, "I don't feel anything." I tend to agree. It's not like if Darren Lockyer signed for South Sydney or something, that would have people seeing red or cheering hard. Who really cares where these players go? 20/20 is on the way out.

howardj

International Coach
From the mob that brought us split innings cricket, I eagerly await the colours and logos that Ms Anderson of FutureBrand has in store for us. Kids and youth are no different to anyone else...they want quality. Essentially, the BBL features the same domestic players as the Big Bash but with...wait for it...city based franchises and new colours. In fact, they need to find an extra 30 players for the two new 'franchises', so it may actually be of even a lower standard than the Big Bash.

brockley

International Captain
Hogan and birt for the hobart hurricanes,ben rohrer foir the sydney sixers,dave hussey for the melbourne stars,brad hodge for the melbourne renegades.

howardj

International Coach
I think I've said this before, but I liked the Big Bash as it was - over the Xmas period (Boxing Day start, with a mid January finish), played by teams you could identify with and who have a history.

If they want to improve on it, they need to focus on quality (i.e. maybe moving it to after the Sydney Test so that the international guys are available, and have it wrap up at teh end of January when kids go back to schoo)l.

Instead, they've chosen to focus on marketing as a way to boost its popularity.