• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic off season 2020

aussie tragic

International Captain
I loved the BBL until they made it too long as last 2 seasons I lost interest half way through. Now they made it even longer might not bother watching at all as I won't last the distance anyway

Shady Slim

International Coach
Yeah the marquee matchups going to Fox is crazy. I don't really have a problem with the idea of not all BBL games being on FTA - it's what happens in other sports after all - but Friday and Saturday nights are the best timeslots for BBL to watch on TV. Take those away and....

I still think the big issue is that it's simply too long. While a H&A season is the most ideal, there's just not enough ingrained interest to sustain it.
i think if anything they made a mistake in that if they did fox exclusives then they should be the afternoon games - as you say, hawking away the prime time prime night games from FTA is one of the biggest sins they could've committed

tony p

First Class Debutant
Yeah the marquee matchups going to Fox is crazy. I don't really have a problem with the idea of not all BBL games being on FTA - it's what happens in other sports after all - but Friday and Saturday nights are the best timeslots for BBL to watch on TV. Take those away and....

I still think the big issue is that it's simply too long. While a H&A season is the most ideal, there's just not enough ingrained interest to sustain it.
Chris Lynn made an uncomplimentary Tweet when the fixtures were released, but quickly took it down. ( something like Golden Goose has been cooked.)

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The BBL is going to be longer this season - running from December 3 to Australia Day. 6 or 7 weeks with most games being night games.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Surprised to not see Cameron Green in the 26 player bubble squad selected prior to Eng ODI tour

Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Michael Neser, Josh Philippe, Daniel Sams, D'Arcy Short, Kane Richardson, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Andrew Tye, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worth noting that Green has been nowhere near as good with the white ball as the red ball. And it does feel like Australia are trying to pick from guys who are actually good white-ball players.

With that said, it still seems like an ideal time to have a look at him.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Worth noting that Green has been nowhere near as good with the white ball as the red ball. And it does feel like Australia are trying to pick from guys who are actually good white-ball players.

Agree on both counts, certainly don't think he's done enough yet to be in the final team, but getting him around the extended training group would have been a good move from a longterm point of view

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Hasn't had much of a chance to play white-ball cricket tbf, since he became a good red-ball player

Sure played a bit in the Big Bash but as far as 50-over cricket goes he's missed the windows last couple years

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Green is apparently working on his bowling action to prevent injuries in the future, selectors have probably just left him to nurture his injuries over the winter.

I've seen green play a fair bit of white-ball cricket at u-19 level and he's a far better bowler with the white ball then his stats say. The kid is lethal in the death, has a good slower ball and yorker.

Riggins

International Captain
Haven't posted for a while but wanted to come and put on the record how good i think Sibley's success is for Aus in the next ashes. this guy is hopeless.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
There's some interesting stuff there, but also a fair degree of empty platitudes and general vaugeness on how any of this could be reasonably be actioned. It's not nothing but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Also, Greg Baum needs to be cancelled

Midwinter

State Captain
Hard to say if he's switched on or not based on the watered down version they've published. The Exec Summary and key focus areas say nothing. Have expressed my dismay as a member and received a very disappointing call.
Could you elaborate please ?

Otherwise we might be thinking that they rang to tell you to not be negative about the new regime, or, that they dont intend to do anything anyway.

Riggins

International Captain
They just seem like valid points to bring up no?
Definitely valid, but at least what was published isn't anything beyond what anyone external would be able to tell you.
Could you elaborate please ?

Otherwise we might be thinking that they rang to tell you to not be negative about the new regime, or, that they dont intend to do anything anyway.
That it was an extremely thorough review and spoke to lots of people with great insight but just can't be made public because there's commercially sensitive info in it, but should just trust how thorough it is based on the issues identified in the exe summary.