• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Discussion (Final Squad Announced Post #82)

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Injury stopped him playing more games. He was solid in his 2 matches, hes the closest thing we have to a line and length bowler atm. Siddle is a strange one, don't get why he was in the 1st ODI squad if he wasn't going to be picked.
He was only ever in the od squad to get game-time before the ashes.

The top six generally never changes in a World Cup tournament though

Haddin
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
White
Mussey

are a lock.
(Pending passed fitness tests)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The top six generally never changes in a World Cup tournament though

Haddin
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
White
Mussey

are a lock.
Yeah, the problem is, Mike Hussey is in massive doubt with injury. He could well miss the first few games and only make an appearance towards the end.

morgieb

I like it, but with question marks over Hussey's and Ponting's fitness, we could've used the extra batsman.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He was only ever in the od squad to get game-time before the ashes.
He meant the first ODI against England. Why pick Siddle in the squad for that game, then not play him, and pick Hastings (not in the squad) ahead of him for the World Cup? Neither Siddle or Hastings have actually played a game at any level in the time between the two squads were named, so what's changed?

Anyway, I'm happy with it. Siddle has no place in ODIs at this stage.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Dussey can fill the breach

Ferguson and Marsh superfluous, I reckon.

More important to have back up quicks given the form and fitness clouds over Johnson, Bollinger, Tait, Lee

Not many miles under their belts.

Spikey

He meant the first ODI against England. Why pick Siddle in the squad for that game, then not play him, and pick Hastings (not in the squad) ahead of him for the World Cup? Neither Siddle or Hastings have actually played a game at any level in the time between the two squads were named, so what's changed?

Anyway, I'm happy with it. Siddle has no place in ODIs at this stage.
Completely forgot about that. Yeah definitely a joke then. As you say Siddle - right now - shouldn't be playing ODers. I'm guessing Hastings is actually the back-up all-rounder - which I don't really like - so he perhaps missed out on the squad for that reason. But yeah total mess.

I just can't believe they've left it to the last minute to decide on quite a few spots. Dussey in particular.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Our bowlers are going to get a caning. MASSIVE pressure on Punter to fire with the bat, and I pray to every god that may or not exist that bloody Clarke doesnt pull any dodgy 4 off 35 innings because he's setting himself up for late slog that wont happen because he doesnt have the shots anymore after Lara Bingle took his balls with her when she left and now he clings to some half assed defence for dear life.

howardj

International Coach
Bit of a lottery this WC with no Super Six stage.

Straight from the Group Stage, which we should easily advance from, into sudden death Quarter Finals.

I think it's important we finish as high as possible in our Group, and therefore draw someone low from the other group in the Quarters.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't say that I'm too unhappy with our squad. I do think though that Hopes probably deserved a run. He's been a very underrated performer with both bat and particularly ball in ODIs in recent years.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I'd have had Hopes in for Hastings. I can't really believe we are taking a young player with 2 games' ODI experience to the world cup.

While I'm happy Hauritz is there, you have to laugh at Hilditch's justification of why he's in there:

Cricinfo said:
Nathan Hauritz is the sole recognised spinner but Steven Smith and David Hussey will also be relied on to deliver regular overs. "Nathan is our preferred spin option and his one-day record in India is excellent," Hilditch said.

Hauritz has played seven 50-over games in the country, taking four wickets at 70.75.

Hilditch's panel did not pick Hauritz during the entire Ashes campaign but now he expects the offspinner to "be an important part of our bid for this fourth World Cup".

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sorry for my ignorance,but whatever happened to Nathan Bracken?

I know he had a knee injury in 2009 but was to make a comeback in 2010 ,but no signs still of him.

Has he retired?