• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Discussion (Final Squad Announced Post #82)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha why does that not surprise me?

Anyone else though?
I know Mike Hussey has kept a couple of times before - I saw him do it for WA once when their keeper went down hurt in what I think was then known as the ING Cup; he wasn't terrible either. To my knowledge no-one in the current squad has kept at state level though, other than the obvious two.

Spark

Global Moderator
I know Mike Hussey has kept a couple of times before - I saw him do it for WA once when their keeper went down hurt in what I think was then known as the ING Cup; he wasn't terrible either. To my knowledge no-one in the current squad has kept at state level though, other than the obvious two.
How comforting :p

ajdude

International Coach
I hear Bollinger was a childhood prodigy in wicketkeeping, but with him going home, we're left without any options :\ hahaha

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If not for busted finger, Ponting might have been an option. Have seen him keep for Tas before and he was excellent.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Ponting just seems a naturally gifted freak at basically anything he does to do with hand-eye coordination, but the finger rules that out.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
It looks like the Australian selectors have realised they made a mistake with not bringing Hussey,

'' Michael Hussey's hopes of winning a surprise recall to the World Cup squad have been boosted with the news that Australia's selectors have delayed naming a replacement for the injured fast man Doug Bollinger. The selectors had been expected to rush a bowler to Colombo in time for Australia's next match, against Sri Lanka on Saturday, but they have decided not to hurry their decision.

A key factor in their hesitation is likely to have been Hussey's expected return to elite cricket after recovering from a serious hamstring injury. He is set to play for Western Australia against Queensland in a Sheffield Shield match that starts at the WACA on Thursday, and if he gets through the match without any trouble he could be on a plane to the World Cup. ''

World Cup 2011: Australia selectors leave door open for Michael Hussey's return | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo hope it's okay to post the link here...

pup11

International Coach
I think Hilditch has all but confirmed that Mussey is going to be added to the squad and they probably just want to see how he goes in the Shield game before flying him out to the sub-continent.

Tbh... I'm kind of nervous about the fitness of Tait and Lee but I think the format of the worldcup gives them enough time to rest their body and hopefully that would allow them to be in top condition through the worldcup.

I'm a huge Mussey fan and I would love to see him join the worldcup squad, and it also goes without saying that our fragile middle order would look a lot better with him in there.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
I think Hilditch has all but confirmed that Mussey is going to be added to the squad and they probably just want to see how he goes in the Shield game before flying him out to the sub-continent.

Tbh... I'm kind of nervous about the fitness of Tait and Lee but I think the format of the worldcup gives them enough time to rest their body and hopefully that would allow them to be in top condition through the worldcup.

I'm a huge Mussey fan and I would love to see him join the worldcup squad, and it also goes without saying that our fragile middle order would look a lot better with him in there.
And he is a nice player of spin, it will be great to see him back :)...

Burgey

Hussey has been told not to play the Shield match starting tomorrow, and to play club cricket on the weekend instead - that was the original plan for his rehab apparently. He got through a net session really well yesterday apparently.

I don't quite know what to make of it all. Whether it's a sign they'll send him over after the weekend or that they're looking elsewhere.

Would be a huge boost to our chances if he goes, imo.

Top_Cat

Bets on who will rage the most of he makes it there and wins OZ the final on the back of a good score?

pup11

International Coach
Hussey has been told not to play the Shield match starting tomorrow, and to play club cricket on the weekend instead - that was the original plan for his rehab apparently. He got through a net session really well yesterday apparently.

I don't quite know what to make of it all. Whether it's a sign they'll send him over after the weekend or that they're looking elsewhere.

Would be a huge boost to our chances if he goes, imo.
I don't about that mate, I really don't see any other reason for them delaying the announcement of a replacment player if they weren't keen on sending Mussey over.

howardj

International Coach
Australia are really manipulating the whole process by not naming the replacement immediately, and especially delaying it as long as they have

And, in my opinion, teams should have to name like-for-like (i.e. replace injured bowler with new bowler).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia are really manipulating the whole process by not naming the replacement immediately, and especially delaying it as long as they have

And, in my opinion, teams should have to name like-for-like (i.e. replace injured bowler with new bowler).
So if Watto broke down, we could send a quick, a batsman or an all-rounder? Would we be allowed to send a spinning allrounder or a keeper/batsman?

If Johnson broke down could we send a #4 ODI batsman (after all he's batted there before) or if Dussey broke down could we send a spinner like O'Keefe?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Players don't have official, technical roles anyway. We could just as well argue that we've got Doug Bollinger over there as a reserve batsman because he hasn't played a game yet.

If there's one thing wrong with the current replacement rules, it's that replaced players can then become replacements themselves. Hussey should be banished from the tournament once he's replaced.

howardj

International Coach
So if Watto broke down, we could send a quick, a batsman or an all-rounder? Would we be allowed to send a spinning allrounder or a keeper/batsman?

If Johnson broke down could we send a #4 ODI batsman (after all he's batted there before) or if Dussey broke down could we send a spinner like O'Keefe?
I think you're deliberately picking around at the edges.

The general principle should be that you replace a bowler with a bowler and a batsman with a batsman. In this case Bollinger with a bowler. Quite simple.

Where the injured player is an all-rounder there's obviously a slightly wider scope there in terms of the type of the replacement that should be sent.

In a couple of the case you've mentioned, Dussey is clearly a batsman, and Johnson is principally a bowler. As I say, a slightly wider discretion could be exercised in the case of a Johnson.

And the replacement should be named immediately, rather than waiting to see what weaknesses emerge in your team or waiting to see if replacements are fit enough.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach

Linky

With this panel, never underestimate their stupidity, stubborness and their unwillingness to swallow their pride!