• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Discussion (Final Squad Announced Post #82)

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I might be missing a key point but what is the issue with selecting a reserve wicketkeeper? I would hate for Haddin to obtain an injury prior to the toss of the coin and Australia are forced into using Ferguson or someone more dire as a keeper. I imagine the spare keeper carries even more importance without Mike Hussey as he is the only batsman I can recall handling the gloves.

The issue of Paine still being injured is a good one, but I trust he has been given the all clear by medical staff. Not information we have access too. It is just unfortunate that unlike 03 we don't have a Jimmy Maher in the squad, or a batsman like Haddin in 07 who deserved selection on batting alone.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I don't really have a problem with Paine in the squad at all.

I really wish that World Cup squads were 16 though, so you could have a backup top order bat, middle order bat, keeper, spinner and quick if you wanted or whatever really, but it's easier for 5 players to cover 11 spots considerably more than it is for 4!

So what XI are the astute members of CW expecting to see lineup in game 1 of our campaign? I think that Hastings might just squeeze out Bollinger. Krejza, Paine and Ferguson will be the other players sitting on the sidelines provided everyone is fit.

Himannv

International Coach
Aggression is Clarke's natural instinct as far as his batting is concerned its only that in the last 2 years he had gone into his shell and decided to shun most of his shots inorder to be more consistent but that obviously did him no real good.
Possibly helped his Test performances I reckon.

pup11

International Coach
I might be missing a key point but what is the issue with selecting a reserve wicketkeeper? I would hate for Haddin to obtain an injury prior to the toss of the coin and Australia are forced into using Ferguson or someone more dire as a keeper. I imagine the spare keeper carries even more importance without Mike Hussey as he is the only batsman I can recall handling the gloves.

The issue of Paine still being injured is a good one, but I trust he has been given the all clear by medical staff. Not information we have access too. It is just unfortunate that unlike 03 we don't have a Jimmy Maher in the squad, or a batsman like Haddin in 07 who deserved selection on batting alone.
No team has got a reserve keeper in their squad maybe apart from South Africa (Van Wyk) and Sri Lanka (Dilshan) but those two blokes are gonna play as pure batsmen in their respective sides, so that itself shows that this is a stupid move.

I won't have had a problem with Paine's selection if when required he was good enough to step into the playing XI as a genuine batsman, but he is just not good enough to do that and I think gone are days when teams picked keepers for their keeping alone.

In a long tournament like the worldcup one needs to ensure that all the 15 players that you pick should add something to the side, but unless in a very unlikely case Haddin suffers a massive injury just prior to a game Paine would pretty much be on a paid holiday across the sub-continent.

The role of the medical staff is also something that can be considered pretty poor over the last few months, they have allowed plenty of half-fit players to take field in recent times or maybe they have just failed to assess many of these injuries properly, either way their judgement regarding fitness of many of these players has been poor.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So you're criticising the medical staff for allowing half-fit players to play, then you're criticising them for dropping Hussey for being injured?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
So you're criticising the medical staff for allowing half-fit players to play, then you're criticising them for dropping Hussey for being injured?
My thoughts exactly. If one improvement is made to the processes of Cricket Australia after the review, number one is selectors should not be selecting half-fit players. Ponting, Clarke, Bollinger and Harris carried injuries at certain stages of the series and it backfired badly on Australia.

Spark

Global Moderator
Indeed. Ponting was at his most impotent captaincy wise, Bollinger was more hindrance than help and Clarke... well, that alone did more to ruin our entire summer than anything else.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
No team has got a reserve keeper in their squad maybe apart from South Africa (Van Wyk) and Sri Lanka (Dilshan) but those two blokes are gonna play as pure batsmen in their respective sides, so that itself shows that this is a stupid move.
Zimbabwe have a reserve keeper in Taylor, Kenya have Maurice Ouma and David Obuya, Ireland have Gary Wilson and The Netherlands have Buurman and Barresi in their squad, so I don't really know what you are talking about.

Also is Van Wyk really a certainty to play? He could very well play, but I think Ingram has a chance too.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hussey's hamstring was never going to get up; he ripped the thing off the bone. Guys miss months with that normally, and of course he's disappointed because he's probably the second keenest cricketer in the history of the world (after Andy Bichel, but it's a close run thing). The Muss would be the knight from Monty Python, he'd keep on insisting that he's fine till he died.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hussey's hamstring was never going to get up; he ripped the thing off the bone. Guys miss months with that normally, and of course he's disappointed because he's probably the second keenest cricketer in the history of the world (after Andy Bichel, but it's a close run thing). The Muss would be the knight from Monty Python, he'd keep on insisting that he's fine till he died.
Haha, so true.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's double standards didn't ya know!

Yet another masterpiece of cricketing wisdom brought to you by foxsports.com.au and it's avid readers

Julian87

State Captain
We should have done a Jimmy Maher with Ferguson, Voges or someone similar over the past 6 months. Get their keeping up to the point where they can do it ok if need be, Jimmy Maher style.

Spark

Global Moderator
So who would our backup backup keeper be in the squad? Ferguson? Dussey? Clarke? (I'm just throwing out names of good fielders here)