• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian cricketers getting 200's (and big scores in general)

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
After hearing of Jayawardene's innings of 275, I have been thinking...

Is it just me, or do Australian cricketers not get really big scores anymore? Obviously most of the big scores some from India, Sri Lanka and West Indies (playing on flat pitches), but that doesn't explain it... Collingwood managed 200 in the 2007 Ashes series.

Who actually was the last Australian player to score 200 in a test innings? I am assuming it was Gillespie (not even a batsman) and that was 3.5 years ago now. For that matter, can somebody possibly provide stats of the highest test scores of Australian batsmen in the past few years? I know Haddin got 169 against NZ, Ponting got 150 against England and I remember Hussey getting around 145 against NZ a few years back.

Is it just my imagination? Or at the Aussies, as good as they are, just not good at getting big individial scores?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was thinking of that when people were discussing the "downfall of Australia" thread. It seemed as though there'd be a double hundred a summer at one stage during the early-mid 2000s.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
After hearing of Jayawardene's innings of 275, I have been thinking...

Is it just me, or do Australian cricketers not get really big scores anymore? Obviously most of the big scores some from India, Sri Lanka and West Indies (playing on flat pitches), but that doesn't explain it... Collingwood managed 200 in the 2007 Ashes series.

Who actually was the last Australian player to score 200 in a test innings? I am assuming it was Gillespie (not even a batsman) and that was 3.5 years ago now. For that matter, can somebody possibly provide stats of the highest test scores of Australian batsmen in the past few years? I know Haddin got 169 against NZ, Ponting got 150 against England and I remember Hussey getting around 145 against NZ a few years back.

Is it just my imagination? Or at the Aussies, as good as they are, just not good at getting big individial scores?
Could be worse. Could be England. In 11 years after Gooch scored 333 in 1990, England had 1 double

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Could be worse. Could be England. In 11 years after Gooch scored 333 in 1990, England had 1 double
Nasser wasn't it? I doubt that we made many 200's in the 11 years before Gooch's 333 either. Possibly only the 3 against India, with two of them being in the same innings.
Not really the English way, is it.

EDIT
Just remembered that Gower made at least one double against Aus in 1985 as well.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jason Gillespie in 2006 vs Bangers would be the last.

Has probably occurred in part because its been a very strong batting line up in which several players have often cashed in, and which is result oriented and hence have declared on people.

Before that, probably Gilchrist's double (at then record pace) in South Africa and Hayden's 380 vs Zimbabwe in the streak at the beginning of decade

Seem to remember Ponting getting a 190 at some stage.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Off the top of my head Brad Hodge scored one against South Africa and I'm sure Ponting's managed a double in the last half-decade.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Cricinfo says Gillespie was the latest, and before that was a certain Bradley J. Hodge. Obviously scoring double tons has such dire consequences for your selection prospects that no-one else has been willing to take the chance!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's Ponting during 2003/04 vs India, he may have even notched up two that series. Plus Langer in the Ashes at the MCG the year before.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nasser wasn't it? I doubt that we made many 200's in the 11 years before Gooch's 333 either. Possibly only the 3 against India, with two of them being in the same innings.
Not really the English way, is it.

EDIT
Just remembered that Gower made at least one double against Aus in 1985 as well.
Since the 60s we've produced fewer genuinely great (as in all-timers) pro rata than any other of the major test nations, seemingly. There's probably a Sports Science thesis in there as to why that should be.

Botham maybe the last English product who would worry compilers of all-time lists?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Since Gillespie's 200 in April 2006, Ponting's 196 in November 2006 was the highest score by an Australian. There have been 10 scores of 150+, only one of which, Symonds 162* in the test that dare not speak its name, was not out.

Link

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Since the 60s we've produced fewer genuinely great (as in all-timers) pro rata than any other of the major test nations, seemingly. There's probably a Sports Science thesis in there as to why that should be.

Botham maybe the last English product who would worry compilers of all-time lists?
Probably. We don't even produce players who obviously belong in a current world XI for more than a few months, never mind an all time list. Maybe Gooch in 1990-93 was the last who did the biz for more than a year. Prior to that, Botham in his absolute pomp, although of course there were other all-rounders of note.

Matt79

Global Moderator
^^ Flintoff or KP? Not all-time, but both would have been in a World XI for more than a few months IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
^^ Flintoff or KP? Not all-time, but both would have been in a World XI for more than a few months IMO.
As much as I love the man, I couldn't stretch the definition of an "English product" quite far enough to include our Kev. We might've polished the gem, but it was mined in SA.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Fred for a year or so circa 2004-2005.

KP? There's a lot of competition for places in the World XI middle order - I wouldn't see him as a dead cert. Granted he wouldn't be out of place though.

Vaughan from mid-2002 to mid-2003 was the other contender.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
There's Ponting during 2003/04 vs India, he may have even notched up two that series. Plus Langer in the Ashes at the MCG the year before.
2 Doubles in that series vs India.
Punter made a double in WI 2003.So that would be 3 doubles in 2003 for him.
Also vs Pak think at the SCG.