• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia v Pakistan (BRING IT ON!) at the Ring of Fire, Dubai-- 11/11 Thursday (N), Semi-final #2

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Looking back, still think Aus made it harder for themselves when bowling by being too funky with the bowling changes in the PP. When you got Starc and Hazlewood and you win the toss in a 6 PM game, you just let them bowl the first 4. Hit test match lengths, test the batsmen outside off and the odd inswinger and see what happens. If the batsmen come at you and get away with it, you still have the 5th and 6th to try your funky tactics. And bowling Hazlewood beyond the 14th when bowling first is just bad captaincy when you got Starc, Cummins, Zampa and even Maxwell in the line up. And Starc bowled a very poor last over when Cummins showed what worked against Zaman. From a batting PoV, it seems Maxwell traded his usual formula of success for Aus, lolbad in IPL to it being the other way around. Steve Smith showed why he is overrated both as a batsman (in this format) and fielder. But I feel one of them will get to bat in their favorite mode in the finals, esp. if tthey win the toss again.

For Pakistan, they are again set up to score 150-170, 180 on a good day and then defend it with their bowling firepower, which is perfect for these conditions. But with dew, those numbers need to be adjusted upwards at least by 10 runs. That opening spell from Shaheen was amazing but they paid the price for not picking another attacking seamer who can bowl in the powerplay. If they have that, they will be a very good side for most conditions in T20 except on smaller grounds and batting tracks. They are still a pretty young team and should get other shots at such titles. Guess we will see how they go. But the way the PCB and most ex-cricketers have reacted and keep coming up with narratives around India and BCCI even when they were clearly the better side in this tournament, does not fill me with much confidence. Rizwan and Shadab though, WAGs.

Spark

Global Moderator
According to Finch there was no dew, strangely

EDIT: In hindsight, Pakistan getting only 71 off the first ten overs of their innings when they had so many wickets in hand and such a good batting surface was probably a crippling self-imposed handicap they never fully recovered from

sunilz

International Regular
According to Finch there was no dew, strangely

EDIT: In hindsight, Pakistan getting only 71 off the first ten overs of their innings when they had so many wickets in hand and such a good batting surface was probably a crippling self-imposed handicap they never fully recovered from
In Dubai , team batting 2nd has won 16 out of last 17 matches.
Only match that team batting 2nd has lost was IPL final ( Even there KKR were 90/0 after 10 overs )

It is literally win the toss, win the game .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Apparently the dew is becoming lesser but even with less dew, it is still a significant advantage to bat second here. I wrote after the first few games that winning the toss is a big advantage across all 3 venues in night games due to dew.

1. Abu Dhabi - best batting wicket of the 3 - means side batting first can aim for 180+ - toss advantage, 60-40.
2. Sharjah - slowest wicket of the 3 - still slow with dew when batting second but significantly better to bat 2nd than 1st - toss advantage - 65-35
3. Dubai - wicket just slow enough to be very difficult batting first but fast enough batting second with dew - toss advantage - 70-30

Maybe with less dew in Dubai, it will be 65-35 for the finals. But the real problem has been starting the games at 6 PM UAE time. Move the start time to 7:30 PM and you have much more of an even contest when toss would give like a 5% advantage at max. 9-12 PM IST is still not a bad time zone for T20 games, FFS. BCCI's fault.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I only saw the highlights but I was like wtf when I saw how many wickets they had in hand deep into the innings. Go for it for pete's sake.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Tbf, this strategy has worked through the WC. If anything, we were way more aggressive this time around. It wasn't the right strategy here though because we were batting first.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Tbf, this strategy has worked through the WC. If anything, we were way more aggressive this time around. It wasn't the right strategy here though because we were batting first.
To be fair, m still not sold on Babar opening. Maybe have Zaman open and ask him to go all out in the PP and have Babar at 3. Rizwan can play himself in before expanding like he usually does. He is a busy batsman anyways and will find 1s and 2s even in the PP and the odd boundary.

Gob

International Coach
I love that Gambhir is asking Ravi Ashwin of all people about the spirit of cricket.
I think he was having a jab at Warne/Ponting for criticising Ashwin's mankading of someone recently. How he can't differentiate the two situations is beyond me. I mean I never wanted to throw poop at someone's face and run away but with Golam, I wish I could

pomnotenglish

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Was almost set for a NZ vs PAK final mentally but as usual Aussies showed that we can underestimate them at our own peril.
Now familiar foes meet again but somehow I suspect that Aussies will be the happier team for meeting NZ in the final.
Anyway, now with Conway out of the final due to that freak injury, there will be more pressure on the Kiwis I presume. Can anyone step up to fill his shoes? Williamson has to be that guy, I believe. Fingers crossed for the Kiwis.

Gob

International Coach
I mean, it would help if you knew what the issue actually was before commenting and giving a stupidly wrong take. Suppose you have that in common with Warne/Ponting.

Ok