• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Atul Sharma

Whats going on?

• Total voters

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Yeah this all sounds very dodgy to me, if that really is this bloke in the pic he looks like an absolute beast.

Supposing all this stuff Ian Pont has said (through the internet mind....) is true, not having played a serious match in 3 years....would he be a half decent bowler? It's all very well being a beefcake but cricket is still essentially a skill-based sport rather than an athletic one. I think all this keeping him from prying domestic coaches is bull, really it sounds like the rantings of a chronically paranoid man. Very interested to see Javagal Srinath's name mentioned as he's an old aquaintance, will get in contact with him at some point but he's in the Windies right now.

p.s. was Ian Pont the guy Johnson and Tait were working with a couple of years back? If so apparently his coaching courses are very, very expensive.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
'what he signed for' meaning how much is the contract worth
Oh ok..i linked both your questions..anyways AFAIK the figures haven't been disclosed for players not acquired through the bidding process(uncapped players).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Oh ok..i linked both your questions..anyways AFAIK the figures haven't been disclosed for players not acquired through the bidding process(uncapped players).
Fair enough. So for all we know this has cost the Royals $10 or $1000 000.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't wait for this kid to debut, I keep getting the feeling that he won't play in the IPL, either not selected or injured or something like that.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
I can't wait for this kid to debut, I keep getting the feeling that he won't play in the IPL, either not selected or injured or something like that.
The shift to SA implies that all the members of the squad won't be travelling..it will be trimmed in a training camp.Though it shouldn't affect him,if he is what he is claimed to be.There is also chances of Tait not recovering on time..which could again increase his chances.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
He won't bowl at 100mph.

From what the coach said on the first page, the aim is for him to be consistently above 90mph.

Now, don't get me wrong, that's quick. But Mitchell Johnson is consistently above 90mph - there's a MASSIVE difference between 90 and 100mph.

If he gets it over 95 for more than a few balls in a row, then he's starting to generate some real heat (95 = 152kph = the kind of speed Tait/ Lee/ Aktar will bowl for an entire over once or twice in a spell [[just once for Tait...]]).

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
He doesn't look like a fast bowler at all, how will he have the flexibility with all that muscle? Also if this is all true he'll obviously be a slinging type of bowler who'll rely a lot on shoulder and back strength. These kind of bowlers tend to have a few characteristics; very inconsistent, with both form and accuracy within matches and hideously injury prone.

To paraphrase Michael Holding, fast bowlers should be built to run, note run, not sprint. Good consistent bowling is about rhythm, even Shoaib has a long run up.

Also, how old is this guy meant to be?

Lambu

U19 Debutant
he doesn't look like a fast bowler at all, how will he have the flexibility with all that muscle? Also if this is all true he'll obviously be a slinging type of bowler who'll rely a lot on shoulder and back strength. These kind of bowlers tend to have a few characteristics; very inconsistent, with both form and accuracy within matches and hideously injury prone.

To paraphrase michael holding, fast bowlers should be built to run, note run, not sprint. Good consistent bowling is about rhythm, even shoaib has a long run up.

also, how old is this guy meant to be?

Also, I do not think he has a slingy action as in Malinga's..but nobody throws a javelin using a round-arm action..also if its so why didn't the coach say so in the opening post? Afterall its hardly unique..

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To paraphrase Michael Holding, fast bowlers should be built to run, note run, not sprint. Good consistent bowling is about rhythm, even Shoaib has a long run up.
It's not quite right to be paraphrasing Michael Holding, or indeed anyone who deals in conventional cricketing wisdom, in this particular case. Plenty of such common pieces of advice have already gone out the window and if it works then he'll have shown himself right to have challenged authority. If not, so be it.

In a way, you've inadvertently summed up why Pont didn't want him to be influenced by any other coaches.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
It's not quite right to be paraphrasing Michael Holding, or indeed anyone who deals in conventional cricketing wisdom, in this particular case. Plenty of such common pieces of advice have already gone out the window and if it works then he'll have shown himself right to have challenged authority. If not, so be it.

In a way, you've inadvertently summed up why Pont didn't want him to be influenced by any other coaches.
This kid's taken a pretty huge leap of faith by doing this, I'm really finding this whole affair quite intriguing. Has the Indian news media gotten hold of this yet? I'm guessing NDTV will start a whole show about it to be aired daily.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really, Sharma is epically tall
Indeed. Bowling is about how much force you can give to a lump of leather. Rhythm is a big part of that, but a tanked-out superathlete bowling at full capacity with good rhythm should still be able to bowl faster than a weak fella with good rhythm. I guess the concept here is to get everything- physical attributes, action, rhythm- geared towards achieving the maximum possible pace.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy has described in the past the primarily-lever quicks and the primarily-athletic quicks, e.g McGrath vs. Akram. According to him, an ideal would be a combination of both. It makes sense what he says.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'll be very interested to see this guy in the flesh. I don't take Pont as the sort of person to make things up.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man

..but nobody throws a javelin using a round-arm action..
AH!!

I get it now - he's a chucker - nobody bowls a javelin with a straight arm action.

That's how he'll get over 100mph.

Either that, or we're going to see something pretty funny as the guy runs in with the ball held over his head....

Being serious: I predict it'll either look like Tait's action, or it'll look like Jeff Thompson's action.

Thompson was measured at the batsmens end of the pitch and he clocked up a couple of deliveries over 100mph (160kph+). These days the trend is to measure from the bowlers hand, usually 10-15kph faster - so he was conceivably up around the 175kmh mark...
Thompson hit the sightscreen on the full at the WACA (the ball bounced on the pitch, cleared Marsh, and carried for 6 byes).
After dislocating his collar-bone in 1976 he lost a LOT of pace - but was still able to beat Michael Holding to win a 'fast bowling contest' by clocking 148kph (Holding made 141).

All told - I SUPPOSE it's possible for this kid to be consistently over 160kph (100mph) - but it'll have to be seen first!