• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG Teams: CW 2022 Results

Xix2565

International Debutant
The best way to win in test cricket (in most countries) is to win the toss, score 400+, apply scoreboard pressure and bowl well on days 4/5 to win.
You're never going to consistently get those conditions or bowlers bad enough to concede that total, so that's hardly the best way to win. Especially in the modern game unless you only play against minnows.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Great discussions as always....let's look at the first XI:

First XI
Hobbs - got to have Sunny here, the 2nd best opener is open for debate
Hutton

Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards - Richards at 4....?
Sobers
Gilchrist
Hadlee - Imran a much better bat and equivocal bowler with more pace
Marshall - Akram gets a call up for me

Muralitharan
McGrath

7 or 8 of those names are undisputed.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks to the continued voting in the Openers thread (and the additional votes in the Wicketkeeper section) I can move on to naming the next XI.

10th XI
Hanif Mohammad
G.Turner
K.Williamson
V.Kohli
S.Chanderpaul
B.Stokes
D.Tallon
J.Snow
F.Tyson
J.Bumrah
L.Gibbs

Once again, the formula used (2 openers, 3 MOB, 1 all-rounder, a 'keeper, 3 pacers and a spinner) give us a tail. That aside, I think this batting line-up down to #6 is more than capable of making a substantive score which the attack could defend.

There are enough votes in the categories to come up with a couple more XIs. I'll then post them all together so comparisons may be made.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I mean Snow got voted in at 32d place. The English bowlers ahead of him are in order Trueman (8th), Anderson (19th), Statham (22nd), Willis (23rd), Larwood (25th) and Tyson (30th). And there's also the pacers from other countries. I don't mind debating the list wherever you want to but how far up can he go really?

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
I mean Snow got voted in at 32d place. The English bowlers ahead of him are in order Trueman (8th), Anderson (19th), Statham (22nd), Willis (23rd), Larwood (25th) and Tyson (30th). And there's also the pacers from other countries. I don't mind debating the list wherever you want to but how far up can he go really?
Snow is a better fast bowler than Willis, Statham and Anderson, so 6 or 7?

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Better than Trueman? Or did you mean in the last 50 years?

BTW I'm a big fan of Snow and rate him highly.
Alan McGilvray selected an England XI for his book 'The Game Goes On' and leaves Trueman out of the team in favour of Bedser and Snow for the following reasons…

‘Freddie was certainly a fine bowler and it is difficult to leave him out. But he did not have the same strike power that Alec Bedser, in his prime, and John Snow had. Bedser had marvellous control of the ball, and got plenty of wickets against perhaps the best batting side Australia has fielded. Snow had that rare capacity to make the ball rise sharply off a good length, and for all Freddie's fire and fury, Snow was simply a better bowler.’

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
I think that the 1970-71 Ashes series probably made McGilvray overly biased toward Snow, but Snow‘s style was perfectly suited to Australia’s bouncy wickets.

IMO The two best English bowlers in Australian conditions are Snow and SF Barnes hands down, followed by Larwood with a packed leg-side field, and Tyson.

In over-cast English conditions you can’t go past Bedser, Trueman and Anderson.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve always rated Snow second only to Trueman amongst England fast bowlers.
His Test career is abridged due to his attitude towards authority and vice versa. He didn’t enjoy the relentless grind of County Cricket and was accused of not giving his all.
Had he been around in the Central Contracts era he would probably have stats rating him with the best.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Anderson certainly divides opinions. Given his longevity, the improvements made over the years and the fact he has taken more wickets than any other pace bowler, he desrves a reasonably high ranking.
At the same time, I feel like he's a lot more limited in his potency overall and especially away from home than some of his English compatriots.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks to the additional votes in the Openers poll I can now name our 11th Team

11th XI
C.Hunte
B.Woodfull
P.May
M.Crowe
Inzamam-ul-Haq
M.Noble
R.Ashwin
G.Evans
P.Pollock
S.Broad
N.Wagner

A line-up which doesn't suffer from the 'long-tail' syndrome that the formula has sometimes delivered. Test century-makers down to #8 and three pace men who have done well with the bat at various times.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks to the additional votes in the Openers poll I can now name our 11th Team

11th XI
C.Hunte
B.Woodfull
P.May
M.Crowe
Inzamam-ul-Haq
M.Noble
R.Ashwin
G.Evans
P.Pollock
S.Broad
N.Wagner

A line-up which doesn't suffer from the 'long-tail' syndrome that the formula has sometimes delivered. Test century-makers down to #8 and three pace men who have done well with the bat at various times.
Test centurion's down to #10*

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I can now add the 12th (and final) team to our list. Thanks to all those who voted on the various lists to make this exercise possible.

12thXI
S.Barnes
G.Kirsten
C.Hill
S.McCabe
C.Lloyd
T.Greig
R.Benaud
B.Oldfield
J.Gillespie
T.Southee
J.Thomson

A pretty balanced line-up to complete our 12 teams. I will post them all together so that comparisons can be made.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Here are our 12 teams based on a 2 Opener, 3 MOB, 1 all-rounder, 1 'keeper, 3 pacers and 1 spinner formula. Players were selected from the relevant voting categories with some players appearing on more than one list. In this case, they were selected on the basis of the higher ranking. (eg Sangakarra was selected as a batsman in the 4th XI rather than the 'keeper in the 10th XI). Batting orders have been adjusted so they don't necessarily adhere to the above order.

First XISecond XIThird XI4th XI5th XI6th XI
J.HobbsS.GavaskarG.BoycottB.SimpsonV.SehwagM.Hayden
L.HuttonH.SutcliffeG.SmithG.GreenidgeB.RichardsG.Gooch
D.BradmanB.LaraG.HeadleyK.SangakarraK.BarringtonR.Dravid
S.TendulkarS.SmithG.ChappellG.PollockJ.MiandadE.Weekes
V.RichardsW.HammondR.PontingA.BorderS.WaughD.Compton
G.SobersImran KhanJ.KallisK.MillerI.BothamShakib Al Hasan
A.GilchristA.KnottB.J.WatlingL.AmesI.HealyJ.Waite
R.HadleeS.WarneWasim AkramR.LindwallS.PollockA.Roberts
M.MarshallD.LilleeF.TruemanM.HoldingA.DavidsonH.Verity
M.MuralitharanD.SteynA.DonaldJ.LakerWaqar YounisC.Walsh
G.McGrathC.AmbroseW.O'ReillyJ.GarnerC.GrimmettJ.Anderson
7th XI8th XI9th XI10th XI11th XI12thXI
A.MorrisV.TrumperB.MitchellHanif MohammadC.HunteS.Barnes
B.LawryA.CookB.PonsfordG.TurnerB.WoodfullG.Kirsten
Younis KhanR.KanhaiN.HarveyK.WilliamsonP.MayC.Hill
D.NourseAB de VilliersJ.RootV.KohliM.CroweS.McCabe
C.WalcottA.FlowerF.WorrellS.ChanderpaulInzamam-ul-HaqC.Lloyd
MS DhoniA.FaulknerR.JadejaB.StokesM.NobleT.Greig
Kapil DevF.EngineerR.MarshD.TallonR.AshwinR.Benaud
P.CumminsA.KumbleK.RabadaJ.SnowG.EvansB.Oldfield
H.TayfieldI.BishopD.UnderwoodF.TysonP.PollockJ.Gillespie
B.StathamH.LarwoodW.HallJ.BumrahS.BroadT.Southee
B.WillisS.AkhtarN.AdcockL.GibbsN.WagnerJ.Thomson

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
There can be no doubting the relative strengths of the first 4 or 5 teams but, after that, I see the XIs as being quite evenly matched with plenty to like about the balance of the final two sides. IMO both of these line-ups would challenge the 3 teams above them

bagapath

International Captain
Here are our 12 teams based on a 2 Opener, 3 MOB, 1 all-rounder, 1 'keeper, 3 pacers and 1 spinner formula. Players were selected from the relevant voting categories with some players appearing on more than one list. In this case, they were selected on the basis of the higher ranking. (eg Sangakarra was selected as a batsman in the 4th XI rather than the 'keeper in the 10th XI). Batting orders have been adjusted so they don't necessarily adhere to the above order.
Great job. Thank you