• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG Draft - Batting Averages

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well ive spent a good twenty minutes deciding between Hobbs and Hammond.... pretty hard to separate them in my mind.

gonna go Hobbs soley because there's a good chance i'll miss out on the best openers from 45-50, and atm my only option up top is Stewart who spent a lot of time not batting there. also im gonna have more than enough bowling options.

Hobbs
Stewart +
~
De Silva
Twose
Hamilton
Pollock
Streak
Boult
O'Reilly
~

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Alec Stewart opened the batting in 38 Test matches and averaged 46 runs in an era of great fast bowlers.

IMO, giving Stewart the gloves is one of the ATG selection blunders as it robbed England of one of their finest opening batsman at a critical time in English cricket.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Graeme Pollock

Gordon Greenidge
CB Fry
Rohan Kanhai
Graeme Pollock
Clem Hill
-
Richie Benaud
Sir Richard Hadlee
-
Neil Adcock
Allan Donald

Last edited:

mr_mister

well now he's opening and holding the gloves haha. hope he's up to the task.

regardless my batting is a little thin, elliott/blewett in the early 30s would have been a good choice and would have allowed there to be 6 specalist batsmen as opposed to 5. gavin hamilton's performance at the '99 world cup is the sole inspiration for his inclusion...

at least pollock and streak have test centuries under their belt

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Graeme Pollock

Gordon Greenidge
CB Fry
Rohan Kanhai
Graeme Pollock
Clem Hill
-
Richie Benaud
Sir Richard Hadlee
-
Neil Adcock
Allan Donald
Not sure what your gaps are and how you will fill them, but **** that's a nice side.

harsh.ag

Was doing some self reflection, and I had a chance to take Archie Maclaren instead of CB Fry. Fry was a better defensive batsman and a better overall bat, and I thought it might be more appropriate. Maclaren might have made this an all out attack :)

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Mahela Jayawardene (45-50)

Had no idea his average had snuck under 50 right at the end of his career, an affront to his majesty

Hutton
-
Woolley
Jayawardene
Darling
-
Botham
Murray
Warne
Waqar
Walsh

Shady Slim

International Coach
**** sorry i was asleep, i went to sleep at nine because i have a driving test today and wanted to stay ready and not get exhausted before it

(ftr you were asking for me just past nine, still not an excuse though sorry)

Last edited:

watson

Banned
**** sorry i was asleep, i went to sleep at nine because i have a driving test today and wanted to stay ready and not get exhausted before it

(ftr you were asking for me just past nine, still not an excuse though sorry)
Good luck with your driving test. Passed mine 2nd go.

Agent TBY

International Captain
The great man will once again lead my side and bat three (though I wish I could play him at five for once. Maybe next time).

Odd Jobs XI

WG Grace (30-35)
Sir Frank Worrell (45-50)
Jacques Kallis (50+)
Warwick Armstrong (35-40)
Michael Bevan (25-30)
Ray Lindwall (20-25)
Clarrie Grimmett (10-15)
Glenn McGrath (5-10)
Ken Farnes (0-5)

watson

Banned