• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin v Lyon

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I think over last 3 years or so, Ashwin has massively pulled ahead of Lyon. Once he got an excellent pace bowling unit around him and took a lot of pressure off him overseas.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Lyon is a very steady bowler, but Ashwin clearly ahead in this one...the real question is, if one makes a best Indian team (last 40 years or so) and can include only one spinner, who will that be? Ashwin or Kumble?

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Kumble was so dire abroad for a number of years that I don't want him there.
Fair enough...but at least Kumble was learning, if you see his career from beginning to that Headingly test in 2001, and from that test till the end, you will find remarkable improvement in s/r and avg...he was getting better (unlike someone, say, Javagal Srinath) and that is good enough for me. Though yeah, I will probably also be having Ashwin in my side, as of now...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Kumble and Ashwin are having very similar career trajectories. Perhaps the learning happened a little faster for Ashwin but you also have to remember 90s India hardly toured SENA, so in terms of number of tours or matches it took to get good in SENA, I would put them equal.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Kumble did get fair amount of opportunity to be honest...his stats overseas from 1990 to 2001 looked dismal really...

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
Ashwin could get to 600 but he'll probably do it at an excellent average.

Kumble didn't have the backing of a really good pace attack to be fair to him - but at the same time, Ashwin was also clearly better (even at home, without the pace attack).

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Ashwin could get to 600 but he'll probably do it at an excellent average.

Kumble didn't have the backing of a really good pace attack to be fair to him - but at the same time, Ashwin was also clearly better (even at home, without the pace attack).
Ashwin managed all those wickets in a better bowling line up overall than Kumble...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashwin easily, but lol @ 800 wkts. He'd have to play until he's 45. No one's getting 800 unless they can emulate Murali, ie. lots of games in friendly conditions, team's other bowlers ****, lots of games against minnows. Actually sounds a bit like Jimmy Anderson
A bent take

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Ashwin will get to 500 tbh. Excellent bowler but can only see him realistically playing tests for another couple of years - maybe three if he hits a serious purple patch. Sadly don't think his body will hold up

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lyon is very durable and has an economical action. He’s only 33. Considering we have elite quicks, Lyon plays his role well

If no whiz kid spinner comes thru the ranks, there’s no reason Lyon doesn’t play for another 3-5 years. Perhaps even much longer. He seems like he’s a guy who loves it.

Flem274*

123/5
id much rather play all my home games as spinner in india than aus. lyon for me, though the htb is improving away