• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin v Lyon

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
One aspect where Lyon is clearly better than Ashwin is his fitness. 100 tests in less than 10 years is unreal.

India had Jadeja to fall back when we didn't have Ashwin, Australia didn't have any one else noteworthy. Lyon has been extremely serviceable from that perspective.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ashwin easily the better bowler. I suppose Lyon is better value for his side sometimes but that is really a commentary of the team and their roles, than their abilities.
I never understand why a less potent bowler is considered a better support bowler.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I never understand why a less potent bowler is considered a better support bowler.
I dont think Lyon is better than Ashwin at anything as far as cricket goes, I just meant the style of bowler he is , works out better for Australia with their pace attack and his back up options suck a level below he does. Not the case for India with Jaddu and even Kuldeep there and Jaddu being a better batting and fielding option than Ash etc.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont think Lyon is better than Ashwin at anything as far as cricket goes, I just meant the style of bowler he is , works out better for Australia with their pace attack and his back up options suck a level below he does. Not the case for India with Jaddu and even Kuldeep there and Jaddu being a better batting and fielding option than Ash etc.
Better at fielding and staying on the park

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he is adequate for Australia given their team composition but if he was more potent it would be even better for Australia.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Better at fielding and staying on the park
Ash was a gun slip fielder for us from around 2012-2015 including in tests in Australia during that tour and took some important catches in the CT final that we won in 2013 too. I agree about the fitness but only in the last 3 years or so, not before that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If you’re making a direct comparison between Lyon and Ashwin, it’s simply that Lyon gets injured less. With the 3 quicks we have, knowing Lyon is able to bowl for hours without getting injured and fatigued is really helpful.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
If you’re making a direct comparison between Lyon and Ashwin, it’s simply that Lyon gets injured less. With the 3 quicks we have, knowing Lyon is able to bowl for hours without getting injured and fatigued is really helpful.
That's fair and something I get.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think Ashwin's improved to the point now where he's probably a bit better than Lyon. Still has a bit to do outside of Asia to put some distance between the two of them. Just in the context of this series though I think it's important to remember that India are MUCH better players of spin than Australia, and I think India's batsmen have done a terrific job of handling him, so Ashwin has a bit of an advantage in the direct head to head in this series.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I think Ashwin's improved to the point now where he's probably a bit better than Lyon. Still has a bit to do outside of Asia to put some distance between the two of them. Just in the context of this series though I think it's important to remember that India are MUCH better players of spin than Australia, and I think India's batsmen have done a terrific job of handling him, so Ashwin has a bit of an advantage in the direct head to head in this series.
This was ages ago. The current Indian batsmen are no better players of spin than their Aussie counterparts.

Spark

Global Moderator
Indian batsmen are definitely much better than Australian batsmen at playing spin still IMO. Just look at the confidence and comfort that Sundar and Thakur showed when facing Lyon compared to a lot of the Aus batsmen against all the Indian spinners.

That’s probably more due to the Australian batsmen being deficient than the Indian batsmen being amazing, but the baseline gap remains IMO.

Re: the overall topic, I think Ashwin has moved pretty comfortably ahead of Lyon in the last two years. It’s been quite a while now since Lyon has bowled consistently really well for more than sporadic innings at a time. Still keeps it tight, but not the wicket taking threat he was four or five years ago.